I am planning to move to penang

Bukit mertajam bandar perda female alone How should I becareful? How should I make new friend in a new penang? How should I avoid at night female alone in penang? I have no friend in that area and no personal transportation, also i plan to join a hope church in penang to meet friend but i didnt if it is cult, how should i keep money intact not let people target cause i am gullible, this church invite me to join their cell group and life group and i hesitate whether to join? Also any community forum in Chinese where you recommend to new people move to penang and have guidance?

槟城想交新朋友

你们有什么建议可以让我安全

Hello Jolie TAN,

Welcome to expat.com!

Your thread has been moved to the Penang forum1f609.svg

I hope that you will be able to gather some information soon.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Jolie TAN

From my experience in Penang it's a very safe place. I didn't experience any threats or violence. The people are friendly and not trying to rob or scam like other parts of Asia. I mean use common sense and carry your cash close to your body and don't carry large amounts of course. Getting around Penang is very easy and super cheap with the grab app.    It never costs more than a few dollars to go anywhere. If you're going somewhere far like bako national park it will cost more but getting around the city is cheap.

I'm not sure how to make friends as I wasn't there for long.

Ive stayed in Bukit Mertajam for 12 years and its fine, very little to worry about and thats really the same for all of Penang. When you go north from KL, the pace of life slows down. Penang island is hectic but still slower than KL. Mainland side is slower still. Some people like this and some dont. Bandar Perda has everything you need and so does the whole area.

BUT....Penang, mainland side, has some major weaknesses and one is transportation. Forget taxi, buses, rail, you are mostly or fully on your own. A motorbike and/or a car is needed. Also, if you are alone and need transport to the airport, its almost impossible without a friend or neighbor to take you.

For churches, i understand you and my only advice is to join a name brand like St. Annes. The fringe faiths have a lot of crazy people and you dont want that. St. Annes is a really nice and safe place.

For gullibility, dont be. Be strong in all your appearances even if you have to fake it. Weakness can be smelled and taken advantage of. Pretend youve been there 100 years and know everything. Walk with purpose, speak nicely but firmly. Sometimes its easy to mistake malaysian friendliness with scams. Use your intuition.

Im from US and im in US now but im happy to answer questions and help you get settled better. My rental house in Bukit Mertajam is in a 100% chinese neighborhood and lots of nice people there, and shopping and doctors, etc. If you didnt have a place already id recommend you take mine. Feel free to message me if you have questions and need information.

@cvco

Where did you rent?

@cvco
Where did you rent?
-@Jolie TAN

In Alma, which is near Jusco and Tesco and Wonderful which is a large market and there is one in Bandar Perda, too. My place is a terrace house and opposite is a park and river, its peaceful there. Not far is hiking parks and waterfalls and of course all kinds of food around.