Beach Attire in Penang

For Men: Are brief swim suits like Speedos on the beach?
For Women: Are bikinis allowed? Are thongs allowed?

I always wear surf shorts when I go to the beach but with speedos underneath so I can strip down and get a good tan when sunbathing and swimming. My wife wears a bikini but not a thong. But I think thongs are allowed. I usually swim in front of the Hard Rock Hotel so lots of other foreigners around.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like Batu Ferringhi may be the place to live.

Yup Batu Ferringhi was the beach to hang out even back thirty five years ago when I first went there.

Probably not such a great idea to wear a thong here - it's a pretty modest country, after all. I've never seen anyone wearing one here, but lots of people wear bikinis in the more touristy areas like Batu Ferringhi and Tanjung Bungah Beach near the hotels.

If you're considering where to live, there are upsides and downsides of living in Batu Ferringhi. Housing is cheaper there, but there's no high speed internet in Batu (which is a problem if you like to stream movies or need high speed for other things like work or uploading/downloading files), it's really far from everything else in Penang, and since it's mostly hotels and not many expats living there, it's challenging to develop a community of friends there. The people I know who have lived there hated it and were much happier when they moved to Tanjung Bungah, Straits Quay or Gurney.

Wow, thanks for the reply, especially about the internet speed. I have a TV box called StreamSmart and I need a minimum or 30 MBPS, preferably more. How about the Miami Green area?

We've got friends at Miami Green who like living there. It's not walking distance to much though, so if you don't have transportation, it might not be the best option for you.