Property taxes

How does the government communicate to property owners the yearly amount of property taxes? I have lived in Sosua for 2 years and recently sold my condo. I knew about the $150,000 threshold on property value so since I never received a bill, I thought there were no taxes due. What a surprise at closing - I actually owed $2200 for 2 years taxes plus interest and penalties of $1800!! Just want to understand what I did wrong so it doesn't happen again when I buy a property.
Sadly nothing is as we think it should be here!   I have never seen anyone get notified so I am not sure how its done.  Someone else will chime in and we will all learn!
Sadly you don't get notified by the goverment. I tend to guide my clients that purchase properties on their yearly taxes (especially if it's in the name of a corporation).

I recommend soliciting a IPI certificate from the DGII on the properties on a yearly basis to not get this surprise.

@Titus Krause thanks, can u be more specific. I don't know what these initials stand for.

@markrosenbaum51 the DGII is the tax department (Dirección General de Impuestos Internos).

And Impuesto Patrimonio Inmobiliario, known as IPI. It is an annual tax that is applied to the total sum of the encumbered real estate assets registered by individuals and Trusts (corporations).

@Titus Krause thanks much for the explanation

@Titus Krause Do you know the process when building a home? We purchased the undeveloped land in early 2020 and then started building our home in 2021. It's still not quite finished, but I'm assuming at some point we need to report to DGII had we now have a home on the previously empty lot? Or will they know that because of the permits obtained prior to construction?

They know nothing, presume nothing...lol  Then when you sell...BAM
@ddmcghee In case of building on a empty lot, once the building is completed the construction plans should be submitted at the tax office. Soliciting an appraisal to up date the property value.

The reason many get "surprises" in the DR once they sell, is that property values get up dated (more frequently lately, especially in areas with many transactions). The DGII uses a Google Earth system, and update properties via satellite, so if you add a pool to your property and don't declare it; they may have already up date the values in the system.

kind regards,
Titus Krause
Can the situation of exemptions on rural property taxation and owners over 65 be explained? And current value threshold?

@lennoxnev What is the property tax?

It is an annual tax that is applied to the total sum of the encumbered real estate assets registered by individuals and Trusts.

Who is subject to the payment of this tax?

Individuals and Trusts

Fees to pay

Individuals: a rate of 1% is applied on the excess value of (RD$8,829,763.30) of the encumbered assets.
     Trusts: 1% of the total value of the taxed estate.

This tax is paid in two (2) semi-annual installments, with the deadline for the payment of the first installment being March 11 and the second on September 11 of each year.

What is an encumbered estate?

Properties that do not enjoy any exemption and at the same time have a joint value greater than (RD$8,829,763.30).
     For trusts, any property that does not enjoy an exemption regardless of its value.

Filing and Payment Date

The Real Estate Tax Affidavit (IPI) must be submitted during the first sixty (60) days of the year.

Payment must be made in two installments (Or paid all together):

The first installment must be paid on March 11.
     The second installment must be paid on September 11.

What properties can be reached by this tax?

All homes.
     Urban lots.
     Properties intended for commercial, industrial and professional activities.

Exemptions

They are exempt from paying this tax:

People over 65 years of age with a single real estate property intended for housing are exempt from paying the Property Tax (IPI).      Legal basis: Law 18-88, Arts.  2 and 6;  Law 171-07, Article 2.
     Pensioners and rentiers from foreign sources by 50%.
     Rural land.
     Improvements for agricultural use located on rural land.
     Properties exempted by special laws (eg Law 158-01).
     All properties reached, whose joint value is equal to or less than RD$8,829,763.30​.​

Thank you for these answers!
Great post thanks for the information
Thanks a lot for the information, very valuable.
You are very welcome! If you wish more in-depth information on taxes in the DR; don't hesitate to message me.
Thank you Titus! 

@Titus Krause hello.  I'm hoping based on your previous posts you can help me understand the tax implications here.  I have just closed on a property in Casa Linda and already had my pensioner residency.  Does this mean I don't pay land transfer tax? Or must I pay it and then request a refund?  If refunded, is it a credit against future tax payments or an actual refund?  I will turn 65 in May. 

I appreciate your help and thank you for any clarity you can offer

@thezuber good day, hope you're well.

You'll still have to pay the land transfer tax, (3%) of the value.

Now, in regards to anual property taxes. People over 65 years of age with a single real estate property intended for housing are exempt from paying the anual Real Estate Property Tax (IPI).

This of course, like everything else in the DR, you need to apply for this. It doesn't go into effect automatically.

If you're interested in more information, I'm more than happy to assist you.

How does one apply for this?

"Now, in regards to anual property taxes. People over 65 years of age with a single real estate property intended for housing are exempt from paying the anual Real Estate Property Tax (IPI)."

if you don't receive notice/bill from the government then I still do not understand how, when and where you find out the amount of annual property taxes due or how/where you pay them.

Best course of action is hiring an attorney or accountant to solicit you IPI status.

And, most people find out that they owe taxes when they are selling their property and are surprised with a big bill from the DGII (since late fees and interests are acrued).

Be advised late fees and interest compound very quickly!

Be advised late fees and interest compound very quickly!
-@planner

Very true, and ends up being expensive resolving the issue at that point.

I believe the interest is 3% per month and it's compounded!

Based on Mark's email it seems that his property was below $150,000 and still he owed taxes. how is it possible?

My questions here would be:

1. who determines the price of property
  2. do you have to file even if the property is below RD$8,829,763.30​ to show the goverment that it is below the threshold and receive the exemption?

thank you

What government agency do you pay the real estate taxes to; and where are they located?