Belgian Nationality

Hello,

Based on what I read from several websites, study period in belgium is counted as half so if one studies for 2 years, they are accounted as 1 and if he works for 4 years after, he is eligible to apply for the permanent residence type D, right?

Can he use this permit to apply for the Belgian Citizenship?

Thank you
Yep. I just did. ;)
Hi richeekdey3,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you kindly provide some more information about this matter to help mohannad arabi and other members.

Thanks,

Yoginee
Expat.com team
First you need to request a permanent resident card.
Only then you'll be able to request for nationality.

@richeekdey3

Could you please describe with more details what do you actually mean?

@AlexFromBelgium
which type of permanent residence card B or C or D?
@richeekdey3
which type pf permanent residence card?
Based on what I read from several websites, study period in belgium is counted as half so if one studies for 2 years, they are accounted as 1 and if he works for 4 years after, he is eligible to apply for the permanent residence type D, right?

If a person works for 4 years + has done a master for 2y, then indeed they will be eligible to apply for permanent residency. And since the only  prerequisites for nationality are 5y of uninterrupted stay + any form of PR; that is how I was able to satisfy the conditions and apply for nationality.

I applied for the L card in January. Got it in June. Then applied for nationality on the 20th of July. They checked my ID, birth certificate, translation of birth certificate, language certificate A2, integration certificate and payslips from 2018-2021 (the individual rekeningen for the full year, not the individual ones per month).

The lady at the commune asked me for all the ones above. Then she asked me to pay 150EUR (this has to be paid via Myfinmin) and bring proof of payment (this shows up nearly instantly on Myfinmin). I did that and went back the next day. Then she made me a) sign a declaration in dutch (you just copy-paste what is written -- its about abiding to human rights, etc...) and then gave me a copy of it and another document that states my declaration has been received and its in process. Its also dated for 20/07. She then said it takes 4-6 months.

And that if the request is positive, I will receive a doc from the commune. If its negative, I will receive a doc from the police.

That's pretty much my experience so far.

If a person works for 4 years + has done a master for 2y, then indeed they will be eligible to apply for permanent residency. And since the only prerequisites for nationality are 5y of uninterrupted stay + any form of PR; that is how I was able to satisfy the conditions and apply for nationality.

I applied for the L card in January. Got it in June. Then applied for nationality on the 20th of July. They checked my ID, birth certificate, translation of birth certificate, language certificate A2, integration certificate and payslips from 2018-2021 (the individual rekeningen for the full year, not the individual ones per month).

The lady at the commune asked me for all the ones above. Then she asked me to pay 150EUR (this has to be paid via Myfinmin) and bring proof of payment (this shows up nearly instantly on Myfinmin). I did that and went back the next day. Then she made me a) sign a declaration in dutch (you just copy-paste what is written -- its about abiding to human rights, etc...) and then gave me a copy of it and another document that states my declaration has been received and its in process. Its also dated for 20/07. She then said it takes 4-6 months.
And that if the request is positive, I will receive a doc from the commune. If its negative, I will receive a doc from the police.

That's pretty much my experience so far.
-@richeekdey3

Hi @richeekdey3, May I ask where did you submit your application (in which city/commune)? and also if you got any police visit or interview until now. I am waiting on my L card and then will request citizenship, I've already asked in the immigration office and they told me I can apply and those other details you mentioned (you need to pay, sign in dutch, up to 6 months wait,..  )  but they also told me about a police visit but they couldnt give me much info about what it involves or what is the goal of it. I know in some communes like Brussels they don't do it at all, but some others do it at least for some cases.

@IgnacioEg

is L card is the one you get after 4 years ?

4 years of work or just uninterrupted stay? Does the PhD count as work for these 4 years?

@IgnacioEg will let you know if I have one. The lady at the commune just said I would receive a letter from the police if negative. Nothing else.

@katete L card is what you're eligible to get if you've paid social security for 5 years. And have an income of at least €1700/month.

@richeekdey3, for L card application, How early can you apply. I mean if your are fulfilling the requirements let say in December, Can you file an application few months earlier or it has to be after the 5 years have passed completely?

@richeekdey3, for L card application, How early can you apply. I mean if your are fulfilling the requirements let say in December, Can you file an application few months earlier or it has to be after the 5 years have passed completely?
-@ARMaliq

Thanks for the clarification Gajendra and Richeek.

@ARMaliq,

you have to wait for completion of 5 years to apply (based on what I have heard).

@ARMaliq So, for me it was not 5 years. I have 2 master's from Belgium. So I'm assuming some of that played a role. I started working in July of 2018. And I applied on Jan 2022. So that is 3.5 years approx. So I cannot say if its really on the 5th year mark or what it might be. This was for the L card.

For nationality, I've been here since 2014. Albeit on an A card. But this did help me satisfy the first condition that you have to have a legal uninterrupted residence for at least 5 years. The second condition being that you have any form of unlimited stay, in my case the L card.

@richeekdey3 I saw that you mentioned individual rekenning. But how about this year that I have not got that one yet? Will payslips covered? I mean I get one in Feb each year for the previous year.

@peterjohn1104

Yes, payslips will be enough in this case.

Because you only get the individuale rekening after the 2022 is completed as you said around February

Yep. That's what I submitted as well. Received my nationality last week. Now applied for ID card.