How much would it be to ship a car to the island

thank you for the warm welcome. Well, my name is Ivette and I am in the process of moving back to 🇵🇷 after 35 years. I left Bayamon when I joined the Army in 1986. And now, my 3 children are adults with homes, careers, and families of their own. I am an empty nester and I'm ready to enjoy the rest of my life. I purchased a home near my Comadre in Toa Baja, not where I originally wanted to buy but, I was persuaded and it's kinda growing on me. So, now I will be close to someone I know. I've been renovating the house for nearly two years (good help is hard to find). It was a wreck but I'm working on it and making it my own and to my liking. I am now at the stage where I need to try and figure out if I should ship my vehicle, sell it, or just buy one when I finally arrive for good. I did some browsing but I feel the vehicles are way overpriced. Not to mention the IVU. Does anyone know approximately how much it would be to ship a car to the island and what the process is for picking it up en la aduana ($$$). Any information would be very helpful and much appreciated.
You can go to the website below & it walks you thru some of the areas. You pay a tax based on blue book value using VIN.
relocatepuertorico.com/a-guide-to-shipping-or-buying-a-car-in-puerto-rico/

It's a selling shipping service but there's good free information in a lot of it along with forms & some websites.

@fredicastro    theres a fb group also called pr expats (residents) where many people report their actual experience with shipping vehicles here. that might help. for instance, we found out there are some services that let you fill your vehicles with your belongings, which can save alot of hassle with shipping. on the other hand, there are lots of factors concerning how quickly you can get your vehicle processed at the incoming port and that info could be helpful too.  best of luck. -tori

Hi fredicastro,

Welcome to expat.com!

Please note that your post has been moved to create a new discussion on the Puerto Rico Forum.

Thank you so much @Mermaidmb and @Tori Mac for your comments!

Vero
Expat.com team
I just recently shipped a large SUV from New York to San Juan. I got several quotes, and they all were in the neighborhood of $2,300.   I shipped a Jeep down in 2019 for about $1,700.   

The pickup process has improved because of COVID but can be confusing.  In the past, you first went to the Port to get your car's paperwork, then to Hacienda in Old San Juan to pay the IVU, and back to the Port to pick up the car.  You can now pay the IVU online.  This is great, but you can't pay until you have the paperwork from the port, especially the port inspection paper and all your vehicle information, including the title.  Here is my recommendation.

1. Bring your shipment papers, a tablet or laptop, and a phone with a hotspot to pay the IVU online at the port.  You need to be able to receive emails on your phone or tablet. I did it on my cell phone, but it was really hard.

2. When you get the notice that your car has arrived, go to the port.  There is an office in a trailer behind a lot of fences.  It's there, but you have to search a bit.  Ask directions if absolutely necessary (a guy thing).

3.  There are two windows.  One is the Port window, and one is for Hacienda for taxes, but Hacienda does not service customers.  (More later).  Pick up your paperwork at the Port window.  They have posted the website for tax payments in the window. 

4. Once you have the paperwork, you can complete the tax declaration and payment online.  I recommend finding the site and starting the process before your arrival.  There is a PR Government site for tax payments with many payment options.  The car import tax page is on that site and is very specific.  It takes some searching to find the correct page.  The process on that page is lengthy, so a head start is a help.  You put in make, model, VIN, shipping, and other data.  Once at the port, you can fill in port inspection information and other items from the paperwork you got from the port. 

5. When you finish the tax declaration, you will get the tax amount, and you can pay the tax via credit card online.   They are then supposed to e-mail the receipt to you.  When you get it, bring it back to the Port window, and they will give you a clearance paper.  You bring the paper to the parking area, and they get your car.

6. My receipt never came by e-mail.  After waiting a bit, going to lunch, coming back and, it had still not arrived.  I went to the Hacienda window at the port; they looked it up and got me the receipt.

7.  You then take your car to a regular inspection station - at many service stations,  With no PR registration, you have to show them your title.  Now you go to DMV.
Sounds to me like, unless you have a vintage car you have restored yourself - and given it a name - it is smarter to just sell your car and buy a new one here in PR.

@fredicastro we shipped our car. You will pay a percentage based on year and model of your car. Ours was a 2013 Volvo and we paid 4,000 in taxes and 1500 to ship it. You have to get the car to Jacksonville FL to ship it to San Juan. It takes 2-5 days to get it here. Cars here are very over priced so if you have a dependable car you like, I would ship it. Go online and search shipping a car and you will see the company that can help you.

@ScottyQ I thought so too but after going to visit several dealers (new & used) I found that it's definitely worth doing the leg work to ship your vehicle. The costs on used vehicles are ridiculously high in 🇵🇷 and the cost of buying a new car is almost prohibited not to mention the interest rates. Yeah, I say ship your vehicle. Better to pay $3,500 dollars and do the leg work rather than pay tens of thousands of dollars on a new car or 12-15 thousand dollars on a used car that might turn out to be a lemon 🍋 and then putting in more money to fix it. Nope! It simply makes more sense to ship 🚢 your car especially if you hate the thought of leaving your own car behind. I love 💕 my car 🚗.

@craigdemartino
I know!!! Right? You're right on point. I went to several car dealers just to price vehicles and I was totally shocked 😳...wtf
I love my vehicle and it's very dependable. So yeah, you're absolutely correct 💯

@wpotvin Thanks for the step by step details. This is very helpful, it's a lot of leg 🦵 work but definitely worth doing it 👍

The cars are more expensive in PR  because dealers have to pay the 25% import tax and shipping to the island, so they add that to the price.  That flows down to the used car market as well.  Shipping a couple of year old used car makes sense because it has depreciated and pays a lower tax.

There are a few steps to import

Find a car transport company, google will help there are several

They will most likely use Crowley out of Jacksonville FL.

You will need to get the car there.

There is an import excise tax. It is collected by the Hacienda, Puerto Rico's IRS.

Search -    "SURI Hacienda pr gov/_/#1," or search "Suri Select Vehicle Lookup"

This tax can be significant

Then you will have to go to the port to pick up the car.

Thanks for the posts on the topic of importing cars from US to PR. I am going to be moving to PR in a few weeks and also debating if I should buy a used car from the US and ship it to Puerto Rico OR just buy a used car in PR bit worried about the import tax which could be significant right ?

Again, if you go to the Suri site suri.hacienda…. (The site won't let me post the link), scroll down three rows in the center you will see a link for vehicles. You can put in your vin and it will tell you the tax.

'you will still incur shipping costs. As to cost of cars here, look at Classificados PR. They have cars for sale and you can always speak to a dealer.

another thought, some cars may not have adequate support here. So look for a dealer near where you intend to move.

@senthilbala Doing it yourself usually will save you a good deal of money.  The prices of cars, new or used, in PR reflect the import tax and shipping cost that all cars arriving on the island pay.  So they are more expensive here.  Buying a car on the mainland where you can check it out thoroughly is a good strategy.  Used cars in PR will have lived in the salt air, bad roads, and often not excellent maintenance for some time. 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. I have landed in Puerto Rico on Friday and now staying at a hotel in Ponce. Will start looking at used cars in PR and also in Florida. Need to get a used car in the next week or two. Thanks again

@fredicastro

I shipped my new Tesla in 2020 from Florida to San Juan.  The company was OTH Logistics.

It cost $2300 but they did all the paperwork for me and even got me a plate. I met a contact person and he gave me everything and I just picked up the car and drove home. Best news: you do NOT pay any taxes for an electric car.