E visa requirements

@Aidan in HCMCHi, thank you so much for your reply, i am applying for this, but this account is my friend's she just offered to help cuz she said she found this site helpful and just gave it to me.Regarding your answer, how will the ICAO line will be applied here? is it like the combination of the  and that will resemble the same order on the passport? Might be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure before I submit this again since I have to wait a few days so I wanna be 100% sure so it won't be sent back again.Thanks in advance!        -@chimiche

No problem, and understood. And not a stupid question at all. In fact, thank you for asking it.
Let's say, as an example, that a person's name is
"Ms. Jane Deanna Doe".
Her passport data info page will show, at the bottom of that passport page,
"DOE JANE DEANNA"
Thus, the application will be completed by Ms. Doe as,
SURNAME: DOE   GIVEN NAME: JANE DEANNA

I'm aware that the application asks only for GIVEN NAME, and not GIVEN NAMES(plural), but there was a post I read on another site which said that this was a translation error. The Vietnamese have no plural. Best to echo back to immigration the same names as are showing on your passport, in the same order as they show on the passport's data info page..

The ICAO line (International Civil Aviation Organization) means to
. (e.g. no Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Thai, etc)

Hope this relieves some of the stress

(you'll be fine)

-@Aidan in HCMCI did exactly that and I still got notification Application status: AmendingDenied Reason: Incorrect full name (as ICAO line).For surname I used my last name and for given name I put my first name first and then my middle name. So what should i do now?

@Aidan in HCMCI did exactly that and I still got notification Application status: AmendingDenied Reason: Incorrect full name (as ICAO line).For surname I used my last name and for given name I put my first name first and then my middle name. So what should i do now?        -@talwazir

Hi there talwazir, and welcome to expat.com.

Sorry to hear of your difficulty submitting the eVisa application.

When you applied, did you enter your name(s) in exactly the same order as they appear on the bottom of your passport information page?

If so, have you resubmitted the application yet? If not, I suggest you resubmit it amended, using only your single (first) given name and see whether that rectifies the problem.

We'll try to help you through this. Please let the forum know of the result.

@Aidan in HCMCI did exactly that and I still got notification Application status: AmendingDenied Reason: Incorrect full name (as ICAO line).For surname I used my last name and for given name I put my first name first and then my middle name. So what should i do now?        -@talwazir

Hi there talwazir, and welcome to expat.com.
Sorry to hear of your difficulty submitting the eVisa application.

When you applied, did you enter your name(s) in exactly the same order as they appear on the bottom of your passport information page?

If so, have you resubmitted the application yet? If not, I suggest you resubmit it amended, using only your single (first) given name and see whether that rectifies the problem.

We'll try to help you through this. Please let the forum know of the result.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I keep forgetting to quote:

When you applied, did you enter your name(s) in exactly the same order as they appear on the bottom of your passport information page? Yes: Last, first and middle names in that order as in the bottom portion of my passport. Also, my name totally in English characters with no apostrophes or accents!

I unfortunately have already amended it stupidly and submitted it in this format: Last name and first name in the surname box, and my middle name as the given name. If I get another chance I'll try your suggestion of using only my last name and my first name.

However, I read that in Vietnam Last names are written first then middle name and last is the first name which is not the order of the ICAO line.

I wonder!

No problem. Our "Quote" function is a little confusing anyway.

When you applied, did you enter your name(s) in exactly the same order as they appear on the bottom of your passport information page? Yes: Last, first and middle names in that order as in the bottom portion of my passport. Also, my name totally in English characters with no apostrophes or accents!

Good, and thank you. The apostrophe/accent marks/spaces was going to be my next question to you.

I unfortunately have already amended it stupidly and submitted it in this format: Last name and first name in the surname box, and my middle name as the given name. If I get another chance I'll try your suggestion of using only my last name and my first name.

Not stupidly at all. It's worth a shot, and will not in any way be a hindrance to your application being accepted. That said, I'll be surprised if it does indeed get accepted this way, but we'll soon see.

However, I read that in Vietnam Last names are written first then middle name and last is the first name which is not the order of the ICAO line.I wonder!        -@talwazir

The eVisa application has been amended by the VN immigration officials several times.

It had originally asked for "First name, Middle name, Last name", which naturally caused confusion based on the difference in  VN name order vs Western name order. It now asks for (as you've noticed) "Surname, Given name".

This latest amendment may be part of the application's continuing evolution and its interpretation by VN officers. It just might very well be that a middle name should now not be included on the application.

For the benefit of other expat.com members, and for that of casual readers of the forum alike, please keep us updated on your progress through this. We would certainly appreciate it.

We'll stick with you through this to try to get it all worked out. Lots of helpful folk here at expat.com

What is your intended arrival date? I ask this so as to determine whether you have time to try these steps, or whether the intended arrival date is so close as to warrant the use of a travel agent.

No problem. Our "Quote" function is a little confusing anyway.

Good, and thank you. The apostrophe/accent marks/spaces was going to be my next question to you.

Not stupidly at all. It's worth a shot, and will not in any way be a hindrance to your application being accepted. That said, I'll be surprised if it does indeed get accepted this way, but we'll soon see.
However, I read that in Vietnam Last names are written first then middle name and last is the first name which is not the order of the ICAO line.I wonder!        -@talwazir

The eVisa application has been amended by the VN immigration officials several times.
It had originally asked for "First name, Middle name, Last name", which naturally caused confusion based on the difference in  VN name order vs Western name order. It now asks for (as you've noticed) "Surname, Given name".
This latest amendment may be part of the application's continuing evolution and its interpretation by VN officers. It just might very well be that a middle name should now not be included on the application.
For the benefit of other expat.com members, and for that of casual readers of the forum alike, please keep us updated on your progress through this. We would certainly appreciate it.

We'll stick with you through this to try to get it all worked out. Lots of helpful folk here at expat.com

What is your intended arrival date? I ask this so as to determine whether you have time to try these steps, or whether the intended arrival date is so close as to warrant the use of a travel agent.

-@Aidan in HCMCWhat is your intended arrival date? December 2, but I leave the US November 8

What is your intended arrival date?
December 2, but I leave the US November 8
        -@talwazir

Okay, good stuff. Plenty of time. The agents work via online applications, so as long as you have an internet connection whilst abroad, you'll be able to fall back on an agent's help. I'm hoping it won't be necessary though.

@talwazir & other readers of this thread.

Should the need arise, be wary of the agency you choose. (Link to post in another thread)

There comes a time when problems require the attention of an agent, because only agents have the network connections necessary to get immigration to reconsider their rejection of an application.

For the benefit of other expat.com members, and for that of casual readers of the forum alike, please keep us updated on your progress through this. We would certainly appreciate it.We'll stick with you through this to try to get it all worked out. Lots of helpful folk here at expat.com

-@talwazir

I got my eVisa today. So, lo and behold,  I edited my original to put for surname last and first names and for Given name I put my middle name! I had also sent two detailed emails (given for follow-up or questions about application) with my specific information asking for assistance on how to input the requested names but did not get an answer. However, I wonder if that helped. Original denied input was Last name for surname and First and middle for given name in the order they appear at the bottom of the passport.

Thank you Aidan for your assurances and stress-relief  words. Hanoi, here I come!

@Aidan in HCMC

For the E visa, do you have to pay a stamping fees after you get it?

Or u just print out the approval letter and then you directly go to immigration checkpoint? (To get entry stamp)

No need to get the visa itself stamped on passport?

Hello Lee Chong Wei, and welcome to expat.com

@Aidan in HCMCFor the E visa, do you have to pay a stamping fees after you get it?

No, no stamping fee required

Or u just print out the approval letter and then you directly go to immigration checkpoint? (To get entry stamp)No need to get the visa itself stamped on passport?       -@Lee Chong Wei

Correct. Go to the immigration officer's wicket and present your passport and your (printed/physical) eVisa. The officer will review your eVisa, scan your passport, and provide you with your entry stamp showing its "valid to" date in your passport.

Important! Once the officer hands you back your passport, be sure to check that the "valid to" date on the entry stamp is correct prior to leaving his wicket. Mistakes have been made which are easily rectified provided you address the problem while at the officer's wicket.

Home this helps. Feel free to ask further questions should the need arise.

Once more, welcome aboard.

Hi All

After a frustrating night trying to do the e visa, I eventually decided to put my final exit point at the airport at HCMC.

It is so confusing as I am leaving for Cambodia and its a military checkpoint so I had to get the multi entry one month visa to come back into Vietnam again.

Just hoping that is going to be ok.

What is clear Lee Chong Wei is that there is still the stamping fee to pay on arrival too.

However now this thread has me worried again as I noticed that my unique name . I am the only one in the world and no middle name!

I noticed it had my name wrong way around, and tried to edit it but it converted it back to what I saw as back to front.

I will send a message as surly I dont have to pay another  US$50 again?

I did the application on the official Govt website.

I messaged about what exit departure to use and so far no response.

Good luck All!

@Aidan in HCMC

Thank you so much for your detailed answer!

Just to check, so I still have to go to that area where visa on arrival is given right? But this time no need to fill in any paper, I would just give the passport and the printed visa and then they will stamp the visa entry on my passport with no stamping fees.

After that I go to the immigration checkpoint, right?

Or I just go directly to the immigration checkpoint, no need to go to that area where they stamp the visas on arrival?

There is actually a funny thing, in my case for example. On my passport, I have

Full name: Lee Chong Wei

My ICAO is Wei >> Lee >> Chong

BUT my stamp ICAO at the bottom reads

Lee >> Chong >> Wei

Which makes me think that when applying for the visa in the first place I should follow that and put the surname as Lee instead of Wei..

Coz in my case my passport only shows name.. no surname or given name section

@Pixie59

This one you applied to E visa and still stamping fee?

Coz from what i know the new E visa, the validity is 90 days, no other validity period now

Hello Pixie59.

I'm unfamiliar with some of the issues you mentioned. Is it safe to assume that you are using the services of a travel agency?

Hi AllAfter a frustrating night trying to do the e visa, I eventually decided to put my final exit point at the airport at HCMC. It is so confusing as I am leaving for Cambodia and its a military checkpoint so I had to get the multi entry one month visa to come back into Vietnam again.

At the official eVisa application portal (Link,choose "FOR FOREIGNERS"), there is the option of choosing the "intended exit  gate(s)" of Moc Bai VN - Bavet CAMBODIA, or Hatien VN - Kampot CAMBODIA.

Both are "military crossings", either of which can be crossed by expats/travellers/tourists, and are regularly used by same for border runs. All of the land border crossings in VN are manned by military personnel, while the int'l airports are manned by VN immigration personnel.

EVisas are now valid for up to 90 days. If you choose, you can elect to have just a 30 day eVisa, but at the end of 30 days you will have to apply for a new eVisa if your intent is to stay longer.

A multiple-entry visa only allows the holder to enter/exit VN as often as they like within the window of their eVisa validity dates.

Just hoping that is going to be ok. What is clear Lee Chong Wei is that there is still the stamping fee to pay on arrival too.

This is incorrect. Are you able to provide us with the source of this information?

However now this thread has me worried again as I noticed that my unique name . I am the only one in the world and no middle name!

We have members who have just a single first name. No middle name, no family name. It's like if my passport stated only "AIDAN". You're certainly not alone in not having a middle name.

I noticed it had my name wrong way around, and tried to edit it but it converted it back to what I saw as back to front.

Would you please let us know the page where you are making this application?

An applicants name should appear in the same order as it shows on the bottom of your passport information page, generally Surname (Family) / First Name / Middle Name (if any)

I will send a message as surly I dont have to pay another  US$50 again?

The cost for a 90 day multi-entry is $50, single entry 90 day is $25

I did the application on the official Govt website.

This site?(link)

I messaged about what exit departure to use and so far no response.Good luck All!       -@Pixie59

I mentioned, on a couple of occasions, that I'd be gobsmacked to hear that someone had received a reply from VN immigration to an email inquiry.

I think from the information and research I have done so far I can summarise the name issue as follows:

First of all, the ICAO system follows

Surname >> given name

The confusion actually comes from the fact that the Vietnam immigration department and system follows the Vietnam naming style in their processing.

The vietnamese naming style is

Surname (family name), given name

So for example, if your name is Nguyen Yen Nhi

The surname is Nguyen

And the given name is Yen Nhi

Which is different than most other places where the system is Given name then followed by surname

Eg. John Elto

Surname is Elto and given name is John

So in summary, if your passport follows the system in which surname and given name are given, then you fill in exactly that way (I believe now the vietnamese official website asks for surname and given name, unlike before where they used to ask for full name)

But if your passport only provides the name, like just

Name: John Max Smithson

Then you fill in

Surname: John

Given name: Max Smithson

Even tho in reality, surname here is Smithson

This also can be super confusing for Chinese where generally the naming system follows surname/given name and in their passports it's the opposite way around.. it's super confusing. But in that case, just follow the name section in the passport, don't mind the ICAO or what the name is in reality.

I'm not sure if you guys would agree with me but that's what I think the case is. What do you think?

@Aidan in HCMC
Thank you so much for your detailed answer!

You're quite welcome, of course.

Just to check, so I still have to go to that area where visa on arrival is given right? But this time no need to fill in any paper, I would just give the passport and the printed visa and then they will stamp the visa entry on my passport with no stamping fees.

After that I go to the immigration checkpoint, right?

Or I just go directly to the immigration checkpoint, no need to go to that area where they stamp the visas on arrival?
    -@Lee Chong Wei

Correct, "...just go directly to the immigration checkpoint, no need to go to that area where they stamp the visas on arrival", but for goodness sake, don't forget your luggage :)

I think from the information and research I have done so far I can summarise the name issue as follows:
First of all, the ICAO system follows
Surname >> given name

The confusion actually comes from the fact that the Vietnam immigration department and system follows the Vietnam naming style in their processing.

The vietnamese naming style is
Surname (family name), given name

So for example, if your name is Nguyen Yen Nhi
The surname is Nguyen
And the given name is Yen Nhi

Which is different than most other places where the system is Given name then followed by surname
Eg. John Elto
Surname is Elto and given name is John

So in summary, if your passport follows the system in which surname and given name are given, then you fill in exactly that way (I believe now the vietnamese official website asks for surname and given name, unlike before where they used to ask for full name)

But if your passport only provides the name, like just
Name: John Max Smithson
Then you fill in
Surname: John
Given name: Max Smithson

Even tho in reality, surname here is Smithson

This also can be super confusing for Chinese where generally the naming system follows surname/given name and in their passports it's the opposite way around.. it's super confusing. But in that case, just follow the name section in the passport, don't mind the ICAO or what the name is in reality.

I'm not sure if you guys would agree with me but that's what I think the case is. What do you think?   

-@Lee Chong Wei

My Canadian passport, which is in the same format as American, British,German etc, shows

Full Name: Surname / First Name / Middle Name , the same order in which it appears on the ICAO line on bottom of the passport info page.

VN immigration has, up to this point, been quite forgiving in accepting applications wherein the name order is mistakenly input by the applicant in reverse order. They recognize the differences between countries formats and have been very obliging.

@Aidan in HCMC

Also check data in your approved Visa, if not correct you risk paying considerable fine at border crossing,  it's not their fault.

@Aidan in HCMC

hello, I'm in need of help for the same issue here!

I checked everything and can confirm my original application did it correctly according to the request for surname & given name; and the ICAO line in which i filled in the application with:

Surname: Nguyen

Given name: Anh Thi Tram

I got an amended message because its incorrect name according to ICAO line.

Taking upon the message that @Talwazir posted, i updated my info as:

Surname: Nguyen Anh

Given name: Thi Tram

The pop-up window for next step pops up that i applied successfully. HOWEVER, now my full name only appears for my entered surname, which is "Nguyen Anh".

Now i'm confused and afraid it might be incorrect --- even if the eVisa got accepted, am i still able to pass through checkpoint without full display name in passport?

Will update the post the status of the amended application.

Appreciate any support in between.

hello, I'm in need of help for the same issue here!

Hi Anh. Allow me now to offer you a welcome to expat.com.

As mentioned in our PM exchange, I've had the opportunity to discuss this with a couple of my local friends.

I checked everything and can confirm my original application did it correctly according to the request for surname & given name; and the ICAO line in which i filled in the application with:Surname: NguyenGiven name: Anh Thi Tram

It was the (Anglicized?) name order which gave me pause.

At the bottom of your passport info page, does your name appear as NGUYEN ANH THI TRAM?

I got an amended message because its incorrect name according to ICAO line.Taking upon the message that @Talwazir posted, i updated my info as:Surname: Nguyen AnhGiven name: Thi Tram

I'm aware there does not exist in VN the family name "Nguyen Anh", in spite of the application now bearing this as your family name and now being accepted for consideration. I believe the first application submission may have been rejected due to the placement of the gender identifier, "Thi". As I'm sure you are aware, generally speaking the gender identifier (Thi = female,Van = male) signifies the separation between the family name and the given name. This is the most plausible explanation my friends and I can think of.

Am I correct in thinking that your name at birth might actually have been

Nguyen Thi Tram Anh?

The pop-up window for next step pops up that i applied successfully. HOWEVER, now my full name only appears for my entered surname, which is "Nguyen Anh".

As it should. That pop-up window is simply a confirmation that the application has been accepted for consideration, and displays the surname/family name only.

Now i'm confused and afraid it might be incorrect --- even if the eVisa got accepted, am i still able to pass through checkpoint without full display name in passport?

No need at all to be confused, nor afraid. I think you can look forward to receiving your approved eVisa in short order. In the unlikely event that the approval is further delayed, please do not hesitate to let us know. Lots of friendly folk here at expat.com, ready to help.

Will update the post the status of the amended application.

That would be great! We'd very much appreciate it.

Appreciate any support in between.        -@businessanhnguyen

With pleasure. Feel free to ask more questions should they arise, open a new topic for discussion, or to contribute to any of our ongoing threads, here.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

(now relax, you'll be fine)1f600.svg

@Aidan in HCMC

youre right in all aspects of your statement!

my passport indicates Nguyen Anh Thi Tram in ICAO line. I could only think of the reason you mentioned as the 'Thi' being the denial. if i were to change my given name to ' Anh ' only, it wouldnt state my full name displayed in the bottom part.

i guess i will find out soon! thanks for the investigation!

@Aidan in HCMC
youre right in all aspects of your statement!
my passport indicates Nguyen Anh Thi Tram in ICAO line. I could only think of the reason you mentioned as the 'Thi' being the denial. if i were to change my given name to ' Anh ' only, it wouldnt state my full name displayed in the bottom part.
i guess i will find out soon! thanks for the investigation!

-@businessanhnguyen

just an update on my status. evisa is issued!

what I amended was:

surname: Nguyen  Anh (with 'Anh' being my actual first name)

given name: Thi Tram (this is only middle name)

regardless of the awkwardness in my name order,  we just needed the visa issue, so!!

vietnam here we come!!

good luck to everybody else who's trying to amend their visa application.

thanks Expat for the support!!

Good luck to everyone who hires a reputable agent 🙏

just an update on my status. evisa is issued!

what I amended was:
surname: Nguyen  Anh (with 'Anh' being my actual first name)
given name: Thi Tram (this is only middle name)

regardless of the awkwardness in my name order,  we just needed the visa issue, so!!
vietnam here we come!!

good luck to everybody else who's trying to amend their visa application.
thanks Expat for the support!!     

-@businessanhnguyen

THANK YOU, Anh, for reporting back to the forum the positive results of the application amendment. Wonderful news, and so happy it was approved!

Now then, don't be a stranger! Once here, it would be great to hear back from you with updates on your travel experiences/impressions.

Hope to hear from you again soon 1f600.svg

Does anyone have a reliable contact to expedite a e-visa application?

Does anyone have a reliable contact to expedite a e-visa application?
        -@mesh56

Hello mesh56.

I've sent you a PM (personal message).

Best of luck, and please let the forum know how you make out.

I am arriving in Da Nang on the 2nd June and have yet to apply for my evisa, however, will I need an 'onward ticket' for immigration should they ask for one ?

I am arriving in Da Nang on the 2nd June and have yet to apply for my evisa, however, will I need an 'onward ticket' for immigration should they ask for one ?
        -@petercc028

Proof of onward travel is not required when applying for a VN eVisa, nor will you be asked by the customs/immigration officer(s) to show one upon arrival.

That said, reports from members are that some airlines are insisting on proof of onward travel. See here (Link) for recent posts regarding same.

@petercc028

oops! (too late for me to edit my reply to you)

The posts in the thread I meant to link to begin here.

Hi @Aidan in HCMC

I'm back again, this time frustrating over my husband's e-visa application.

His keeps coming back with "Passport image incorrect".

I've scrutinized the image and uploaded it a couple of times already and for the life of me can't figure out what's incorrect about it.

The image is clear (even clearer than mine was), all of it's edges are there, landscape - only the data page, jpg format, only 273 kB, so can't be too big. It's valid for years to come.

Its data matches with what I've entered in the fields below.

Comparing the portrait pic and the passport, it's quite clear it's the same person (not the same photo).

I'm running out of ideas on what could be going on.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi @Aidan in HCMCI'm back again, this time frustrating over my husband's e-visa application. His keeps coming back with "Passport image incorrect".I've scrutinized the image and uploaded it a couple of times already and for the life of me can't figure out what's incorrect about it.The image is clear (even clearer than mine was), all of it's edges are there, landscape - only the data page, jpg format, only 273 kB, so can't be too big. It's valid for years to come. Its data matches with what I've entered in the fields below. Comparing the portrait pic and the passport, it's quite clear it's the same person (not the same photo). I'm running out of ideas on what could be going on.Any help is appreciated.Thanks!        -@sasanijay

Wow. They're not making this easy for you.

From recollection, you've still got two weeks before your intended arrival here, correct? If so, my suggestion is for you to take a new picture of your husband's passport information page (be careful of shadows and glare), crop it in your phone to just the very edges of that info page, and resubmit.

If it gets denied again, let us know. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days to get a response. If denied again, it might be time to consider the services of an agent.

We'll stick with you through this. Terribly frustrating and stressful for travellers.

edit; as an afterthought (and though you've probably already checked this), where the rejection notice states "Passport image incorrect", check to make sure there is no discrepancy between the info shown on the passport, and that provided on the application itself. Check that the passport number you've entered on the application matches the actual passport, citizenship matches, valid until date matches, etc

Hi @Aidan in HCMCI'm back again, this time frustrating over my husband's e-visa application. His keeps coming back with "Passport image incorrect".I've scrutinized the image and uploaded it a couple of times already and for the life of me can't figure out what's incorrect about it.The image is clear (even clearer than mine was), all of it's edges are there, landscape - only the data page, jpg format, only 273 kB, so can't be too big. It's valid for years to come. Its data matches with what I've entered in the fields below. Comparing the portrait pic and the passport, it's quite clear it's the same person (not the same photo). I'm running out of ideas on what could be going on.Any help is appreciated.Thanks!        -@sasanijay

Wow. They're not making this easy for you.
From recollection, you've still got two weeks before your intended arrival here, correct? If so, my suggestion is for you to take a new picture of your husband's passport information page (be careful of shadows and glare), crop it in your phone to just the very edges of that info page, and resubmit.

If it gets denied again, let us know. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days to get a response. If denied again, it might be time to consider the services of an agent.

We'll stick with you through this. Terribly frustrating and stressful for travellers.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for your response. Will try that, the page has a natural glossy texture to it, could be the issue, although mine still worked.

Is this part of the screening done automatically?

Thanks for your response. Will try that, the page has a natural glossy texture to it, could be the issue, although mine still worked. Is this part of the screening done automatically?         -@sasanijay

I've edited my reply to you in the previous post. You might have to reload this page to see it.

Yes, watch the glare.

And very good that the picture is not the same as the passport photo. The picture must be less than 6 months old. Members have received rejection notices due to their submitting a picture cropped from their 3 year old passport.

I don't believe there is any automated application verification.