E visa requirements

screenshot_20221112_094505.jpg

@OceanBeach92107

that is EXACTLY what I am saying. The example is backwards from reality. The ICAO only pertains to the photo being submitted not to input of name. Many people here read the statement and think they need to input their name in ICAO order. It's also not as the order in the passport. It is clear that you need to input first, middle, last name in that order. People have been beating this dead horse for months.

@Krishnakumar KA
First, Middle, Last just like the input blocks ask. Disregard any references to ICAO or passport order.
welcome to expats
-@pogiwayne

So, you are advising that this updated photo on the website (I'm using the website link to the image https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/eVisa … ochieu.jpg ) should be ignored, even though their edit specifically points to the ICAO line and says THAT is the "full name"?

and the instructions on the application interface specifically says to use it?

span
-@OceanBeach92107

that is EXACTLY what I'm saying. The name input is first, middle, last. NOT ICAO order. Did you fill in your evisa applications or someone else did them?

you can lead a horse to water but you definitely cannot make a horse read.

-@OceanBeach92107

I agree that there is a comprehension problem. I've successfully completed the application process 7 times using my procedure.

I just can't believe YOU filled out the applications with ICAO information.

ICAO information is opposite of what is needed to fill in the form .

-@OceanBeach92107

This is the one reference to ICAO. (Use international character as in ICAO line)

definition of that means: use the capital English characters (letters) as in the ICAO line. The CHARACTERS not the name order.

Continuing this is, ipso facto, "kicking a dead horse" as the question from Krishnakumar KA h̲a̲d̲ ̲a̲l̲r̲e̲a̲d̲y̲ ̲b̲e̲e̲n̲ ̲a̲n̲s̲w̲e̲r̲e̲d̲ .

The ICAO character (not order) issue had also been addressed.

"The instruction to "Use international character as in ICAO line" means to use Latin letters/numbers/symbols as seen on the bottom of our own passport info page."

Confusing and frustrating, yes, but the VN Immigration officers seem to, as mentioned, recognize the ambiguity and have been accounting for it in their decisions to grant/deny applications.

Better had they used "Family name", "Middle name", "Given name".

screenshot_20221113_095112.jpg

Do as the form says FIRST - MIDDLE - SURNAME/ LAST NAME.

The instruction is just saying use capitals as Pogi said "use the capital English characters (letters) as in the ICAO line."

The ICAO is not like the form asks for - here is mine which is backwards to what it asks for

"https://i.postimg.cc/ZYPyrkkP/20221113-085644.jpg"

MOVE ON FOLKS.

-@OceanBeach92107

LOL! Could they have made it more confusing, even if they tried?

The specimen citizen has two names common as last names (both Irish, I might add :) ) !? McCann and O'Connell.

Not just that, but in cases where the family name holds the prefix "Mc", there is no space between the "Mc" and the next letter in the name (guess how I know).

But yes, point taken. I believe the intent was to have people complete the application with the order being Family-Middle-Given, but experience has shown that either is being accepted (tolerated?).

Do as the form says FIRST - MIDDLE - SURNAME.
The instruction is just saying use capitals as Pogi said "use the capital English characters (letters) as in the ICAO line."

The ICAO is not like the form asks for - here is mine which is backwards to what it asks for

"20221113-085644.jpg"

MOVE ON FOLKS.
-@AndyHCMC

There isn't any mention of "surname":

screenshot_20221112_094505.jpg

I'm waiting for Deckard to jump in here any minute now, and...

"Enhance 224 to 176. Enhance, stop.

Move in, stop.

Pull out, track right, stop.

Center in, pull back. Stop.

Track 45 right. Stop.

Center and stop.

Enhance 34 to 36. Pan right and pull back. Stop.

Enhance 34 to 46. Pull back. Wait a minute, go right, stop.

Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left. Stop.

Enhance 15 to 23.

Give me a hard copy right there. "

Do as the form says FIRST - MIDDLE - SURNAME/ LAST NAME.

Surname/Last name is the same meaning for English speaking countries.

Surname meaning

Synonyms

family name, last name

MOVE ON

-@OceanBeach92107

LOL! Could they have made it more confusing, even if they tried?
The specimen citizen has two names common as last names (both Irish, I might add smile.png ) !? McCann and O'Connell.

Not just that, but in cases where the family name holds the prefix "Mc", there is no space between the "Mc" and the next letter in the name (guess how I know).

But yes, point taken. I believe the intent was to have people complete the application with the order being Family-Middle-Given, but experience has shown that either is being accepted (tolerated?).
-@Aidan in HCMC

I agree with  you that often, "experience has shown that either is being accepted (tolerated?)"

I don't know in fact that it's tolerated all the time.

I have never ever had a legal document in Vietnam reflect my name in any other way than Family name, Given name and Middle name, consistent with the order of names on my passport.

This includes:

1. Every visa/extension/eVisa/TRC ever issued (9 documents so far; one had to be redone by the order of the police because I had simply listed my name the way I would in the United States)

2. Bank accounts (4 so far. the one time I listed my name as I would in the United States on a wire transfer, it was held up for 3 days at my bank in Vietnam before someone in a high position of authority approved it as obviously being for me, even though the name didn't match the name on my bank account)

3. Apartment/House leases (8 so far)

4. Airline tickets (lost count)

5. Documents issued by the Foreign Service office in connection with my marriage.

5. COVID test certificate issued by the Tropical Disease Hospital in HCMC

6. Mental Health clearance (for marriage) issued by the HCMC Psych Hospital.

7. Multiple Police registrations in Vũng Tàu

8. Police registration in Quảng Ngãi

9. Official marriage certificate

10. Approved application for TRC in Hà Nội.

I'm sure I've forgotten others, and there are almost certainly other police reports that I've never seen, especially when checking into hotels all over the country.

My point is that after living in Vietnam for a while a person hopefully learns that there may be a difference between what is requested and what is wanted.

it requires a bit of a superior attitude to start with what the English says and then insist that that's what the Vietnamese want.

There have been myriad threads in this forum regarding the difference between the use of "first, middle and last" names in Vietnam and common useage in other (western) countries.

I personally hope no one ever runs into any problems with this.

But I simply won't acquiesce to telling people that you can do whatever you want.

It will only take one person posting a tragic story on here about losing thousands of dollars on an airplane ticket because they improperly ordered their names to make us regret that we didn't look at this logically from a Vietnamese point of view and read clearly the update that they have provided

"https://i.postimg.cc/rwmrg6f3/Screenshot-2022-11-13-122825.png"

The e-visa postal asks clearly for First - Middle - Last Name.

Which has NOTHING to do with how the VIET gov & Viet paperwork formats their docs, it is not asking you to do it the Viet way its asking you as a foreigner to fill it in.

My point is that after living in Vietnam for a while a person hopefully learns that there may be a difference between what is requested and what is wanted.

it requires a bit of a superior attitude to start with what the English says and then insist that that's what the Vietnamese want.

There have been myriad threads in this forum regarding the difference between the use of "first, middle and last" names in Vietnam and common.

Long story short, provide information as asked for. Don't try to understand it just provide it, and let Vietnam do whatever they want with it!!!

There have been myriad threads in this forum regarding the difference between the use of "first, middle and last" names in Vietnam and common.

-@robertbottle30

Thanks for quoting me 😎👍

The huge irony here is that virtually every visa agent has been chased away from this forum, even though they are in a unique position to provide input here, since they are currently getting a ton of work from foreigners attempting to fix errors with visa applications, while also applying on behalf of foreigners who (for various reasons) don't want to submit their own application.

My own visa agent is amazed that we are having this argument about something that's always been true : write the name in the order it appears on the passport ICAO line.

She's agrees that it's a mistake that might not be caught by immigration, or they simply might not care.

But she also says there is no way she would ever submit an application without having the names in the order on the ICAO line, and she would never, ever advise someone to do otherwise.

So ask her why it say on the VN Gov portal First - middle - last.

Poll of members if they have had theirs rejected because they followed what it said on the portal and had to have it fixed by an agent?

So ask her why it say on the VN Gov portal First - middle - last.
-@AndyHCMC

...with this as an updated, annotated example of what they mean by "full name"

She says whoever originally wrote the webpage was referring to the order of names appearing on the ICAO line.

Because of confusion, they updated the example to specifically point out what they mean.

Let's hope they continue to let people slide when they don't follow the example.

As for the scientific poll, I've personally had 3 eVisas (July 4th, August 3rd and August 28th) approved by submitting my names exactly in the order they appear on my passport's ICAO line, and all 3 eVisas were issued with my names in that same order (my family name, my given name and my middle name).

Congratulations to anyone who has successfully had an eVisa approved listing their names in any order other than the order on the ICAO line.

Good luck to anyone planning to do that in the future.

Until they change the wording they cant reject which is why people like Pogi have done it 7 times.

When and IF it gets changed There will be a screenshot of it.

Follow gov instructions until then as is normal procedure advised on Expats

Until they change the wording they cant reject which is why people like Pogi have done it 7 times.

This made me smile because I'm certain no one on this forum knows definitively what Immigration can and can't do, including me.

When and IF it gets changed There will be a screenshot of it

There already is a screenshot I've posted multiple times so that people can understand this in the context provided by immigration.

I look forward to seeing the screenshot you make when something is changed.

follow gov instructions until then as is normal procedure advised on Expats
-@AndyHCMC

As long as all government instructions (including graphic examples and footnotes) are followed, I totally agree.

I would be wary of heeding any advice that fails to take all instructions into consideration.

Unless we can get an immigration official to weigh in on this subject, It would probably also be a good idea to pay the most attention to people who have actually had at least one eVisa successfully processed.

Everyone else is simply engaging in speculation.

This made me smile because I'm certain no one on this forum knows definitively what Immigration can and can't do, including me.

When and IF it gets changed There will be a screenshot of it

There already is a screenshot I've posted multiple times so that people can understand this in the context provided by immigration.

I look forward to seeing the screenshot you make when something is changed.

follow gov instructions until then as is normal procedure advised on Expats
-@AndyHCMC

As long as all government instructions (including graphic examples and footnotes) are followed, I totally agree.

I would be wary of heeding any advice that fails to take all instructions into consideration.

Unless we can get an immigration official to weigh in on this subject, It would probably also be a good idea to pay the most attention to people who have actually had at least one eVisa successfully processed.

Everyone else is simply engaging in speculation.
-@OceanBeach92107

i agree that people who have “personally” applied and been approved every time might have the correct answers concerning what the ICAO statement means.

On several FB Visa forums people have reported their application being rejected for using Last, first, middle name order.

Long story short, provide information as asked for. Don't try to understand it just provide it, and let Vietnam do whatever they want with it!!!
-@robertbottle30

My mental hospital visit in D10 doc has mine the Western way First - MIddle - Last

Meanwhile, my VN A1 licence has my First - Middle - Last,,, my Wifes has Last - Middle - First, while my VN B1 car licence has First - Middle - Last, go figure?

And checking my covid cert it is also in First - Middle - Last, while Wifes is Last - Middle - First.

BOTH were issued same day 2 mins apart same visit and same staff filled them in.

@AndyHCMC

it would be interesting to hear from someone who has filled in the evisa application with last, first, middle as to what is the order of the name on the approved evisa.

Why all the B S on the order of your name???

Just fill in the form with the information asked for in the space provided.

Immigration site, e-visa site, screw the pooch site what does all this matter, as long as they get the information that they need where they want it!!! They will then put it wherever it needs to go.

Mic drop!!!

Why all the B S on the order of your name???
Just fill in the form with the information asked for in the space provided.
Immigration site, e-visa site, screw the pooch site what does all this matter, as long as they get the information that they need where they want it!!! They will then put it wherever it needs to go.
Mic drop!!!
-@robertbottle30

Vietnamese can be very anal about certain things. Trust me, Ive had paperwork returned due to a full-stop being in the wrong place in a company name and had paperwork returned because we wrote us dollars and USD on the same importation document.

I won't argue about "certain things" but  could your problem be that you put extra in info in a space where it was not needed?

I won't argue about "certain things" but could your problem be that you put extra in info in a space where it was not needed?
-@robertbottle30

I just gave you an example of how anal they can be. Its obvious you havent dealt with officials that often in VN.

Hello everyone,

I hope you are well and thank you for your many messages.

I just want to remind you that we are here to help as much as we can people who want to have as much information as possible, whether it is in everyday life or for their expatriation project, while respecting each other and the new members.

I insist a lot on this last point because I know that many of our members want to do the right thing by communicating their experiences, but this does not mean that we should not remain humble and open to others with regard to their comments.

Furthermore, if there is the slightest doubt, we advise you to look closely at the official information of the country.

And if necessary, don't hesitate to contact us privately.

Have a nice day,

Mickael

Team Expat.com

@colinoscapee Example…one VNAirlines online booking I believe the name sequence was last first middle initial.  I'm a Jr and entered my suffix as part of my last name. Lights and whistles went off while checking in. Most check-in agents are quite pleasant and after referring to my passport the issue was quickly resolved. No one size application procedure fits all. Frustrating sure, but it's only a small part of the big and better picture while living in Vietnam.

When and IF it gets changed There will be a screenshot of it.

Follow gov instructions until then as is normal procedure advised on Expats
-@AndyHCMC

OK, ..now you've got me, ...I'm having trouble with the word 'normal' Sorry. but

MAc

When my evisa is issued the top line has the name first, middle and last. OB since yours was submitted in passport order how does yours read?

I'm in the same mess.. I have applications stuck in processing and have tried the first, middle, surname.. format. The samples seem to indicate that the preferred format should be surname, then first name, as written on the ICAO line. Additionally, I've noticed that this is a very recent issue.  My flight is on the 28th of  and I'm scared!

@OceanBeach92107 Read line by line?

@OceanBeach92107 I have used first name, last name in the past and I think something has changed. I agree with your assessment.

Hi

I was granted e-visa however, I only see my first name and no last name under “Full Name”…I already inquired twice with Vietnam Immigration where I initially filed e-visa to add my last name…but no reply from Vietnam immigration? Has anyone had same issue? Can I still travel to Vietnam or can settle this issue upon arrival in Vietnam?

Much appreciated for feedbacks.

Thx

Rich

Hi,

Just re-posting inquiries and hopefully someone can supply feedbacks…

I was already granted Vietnam e-visa however, it only shows my first name and no last name under “Full Name”. I already inquired to Vietnam immigration to add my last name, the same place where I applied my e-visa twice but no reply yet. Can I still travel to Vietnam with the approved e-visa, just with first name? Will I be rejected by Airline or upon arrival in Vietnam or I can settle this issue at the port of entry in Hanoi?

Any feedbacks is appreciated…

Thx

Rich

Hi,
Just re-posting inquiries and hopefully someone can supply feedbacks…
I was already granted Vietnam e-visa however, it only shows my first name and no last name under “Full Name”. I already inquired to Vietnam immigration to add my last name, the same place where I applied my e-visa twice but no reply yet. Can I still travel to Vietnam with the approved e-visa, just with first name? Will I be rejected by Airline or upon arrival in Vietnam or I can settle this issue at the port of entry in Hanoi?
Any feedbacks is appreciated…
Thx
Rich
-@Richard

Your evisa must match your passport. Airline most likely will not allow you to board. Need to apply again with all the correct information. When filling out check and check again for accuracy of the information you have put in the application........... sometimes it changes.

@Richard Aczon I would not attempt to use the visa with just your first name on it Richard. I also would not expect an answer from Vietnam immigration. I received my evisa a week ago and it has first name, middle name, last name as the format. You should immediately try to get a new evisa I think and make sure the full name is in. I used the format I showed. I believe it will work to enter and there is evidence that other folks like Roger in this thread have used the same format and it works.

Just my take.

@pogiwayne

Thank you @pogiwayne…

The issue I am afraid is that, I followed the steps…entered all informations including “Full Name”, first and last name and the visa only shows my first name, and if I re-apply again, with the same infos, I am afraid, immigration will do the same.

Also, is there such thing as urgent, one day turn around for e-visa?

Thx

Rich