E visa requirements

@Aidan in HCMCIn new portal, the website automatically scans the name from passport however on old portal, we have to enter it .....In first instance I put my last name (as per passport) in surname and first name (as per passport) in given name but they asked me to amend it... I heard from some people that they got visa by reversing the order, i.e. first name in surname section and last name in given name section....I updated the same on Wednesday (2 days back) and I am hoping to get some positive response now...        -@shubhamvarshney1998

Hi there shubhamvarshney1998, and welcome to expat.com.

Did you, by chance, exclude a middle name?

May I ask where you heard about reversing the name order? For a while there VN immigration were accepting either name order, but that was when they were asking for "first, middle, last" names. The application has since, as you are aware, been amended.

Once you've received a response, we'd certainly appreciate hearing back from you of the results of your updated application.

Again, welcome to expat.com

@Aidan in HCMC

Hi, thank you so much for your reply, i am applying for this, but this account is my friend's she just offered to help cuz she said she found this site helpful and just gave it to me.

Regarding your answer, how will the ICAO line will be applied here? is it like the combination of the  <surname> and <given name> that will resemble the same order on the passport? Might be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure before I submit this again since I have to wait a few days so I wanna be 100% sure so it won't be sent back again.

Thanks in advance!

@Aidan in HCMC
Hi, thank you so much for your reply, i am applying for this, but this account is my friend's she just offered to help cuz she said she found this site helpful and just gave it to me.

Regarding your answer, how will the ICAO line will be applied here? is it like the combination of the  <surname> and <given name> that will resemble the same order on the passport? Might be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure before I submit this again since I have to wait a few days so I wanna be 100% sure so it won't be sent back again.

Thanks in advance!

-@chimiche

No problem, and understood. And not a stupid question at all. In fact, thank you for asking it.

Let's say, as an example, that a person's name is

"Ms. Jane Deanna Doe".

Her passport data info page will show, at the bottom of that passport page,

"DOE JANE DEANNA"

Thus, the application will be completed by Ms. Doe as,

SURNAME: DOE   GIVEN NAME: JANE DEANNA

I'm aware that the application asks only for GIVEN NAME, and not GIVEN NAMES(plural), but there was a post I read on another site which said that this was a translation error. The Vietnamese have no plural. Best to echo back to immigration the same names as are showing on your passport, in the same order as they show on the passport's data info page..

The ICAO line (International Civil Aviation Organization) means to

use only the 26 letters of the English alphabet. (e.g. no Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Thai, etc)

Hope this relieves some of the stress :)

(you'll be fine)

note to applicants:

where an eVisa application instructs the applicant to...

"Use international character as in ICAO line", this is referencing how the name is spelled/appears on the bottom of the passport info data page.

It means the applicant must use English letters (characters) on the eVisa application.

(e.g. no Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Thai, etc)

I've received a couple of private inquiries regarding the above. Hope this clears up any confusion.

note to applicants:
where an eVisa application instructs the applicant to...
"Use international character as in ICAO line", this is referencing how the name is spelled/appears on the bottom of the passport info data page.
It means the applicant must use English letters (characters) on the eVisa application.
(e.g. no Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Thai, etc)

I've received a couple of private inquiries regarding the above. Hope this clears up any confusion.

-@Aidan in HCMC

that has me wondering what would happen if someone's using a non English keyboard but managing to type English characters, as is possible on a Tiếng Việt keyboard and probably others.

For instance here are some characters typed on my android Tiếng Việt keyboard:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

They appear to be the same characters that show up on my English keyboard, but I know that each individual character has its own unique code.

So I wonder if the codes of all of these characters perfectly match their counterparts on an English language keyboard?

This must also be possible on other keyboards that are not primarily meant as English language keyboards.

This would take a serious nerd to figure out, but it might just explain why some people try everything they can and the text they type continues to be rejected, if the software for immigration is reading character codes and not the characters themselves.

note to applicants: where an eVisa application instructs the applicant to... "Use international character as in ICAO line", this is referencing how the name is spelled/appears on the bottom of the passport info data page. It means the applicant must use English letters (characters) on the eVisa application.(e.g. no Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Thai, etc)I've received a couple of private inquiries regarding the above. Hope this clears up any confusion.        -@Aidan in HCMC that has me wondering what would happen if someone's using a non English keyboard but managing to type English characters, as is possible on a Tiếng Việt keyboard and probably others.For instance here are some characters typed on my android Tiếng Việt keyboard:A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z They appear to be the same characters that show up on my English keyboard, but I know that each individual character has its own unique code. So I wonder if the codes of all of these characters perfectly match their counterparts on an English language keyboard? This must also be possible on other keyboards that are not primarily meant as English language keyboards. This would take a serious nerd to figure out, but it might just explain why some people try everything they can and the text they type continues to be rejected, if the software for immigration is reading character codes and not the characters themselves.         -@OceanBeach92107

Not owning one, I know very little about phones, but on a Windows PC with the Vietnamese language pack installed (converts English Keyboard to VN, or any other language where its pack has been installed), on the original application portal I can input the name "HOÀNG", but as soon as I move on to the next info pane, an error notice appears under that name stating "Use international character only". By placing the cursor between the "O" and the "À", I deleted the "À" and cycled through to get an English "A". I could then move on from that pane, all the while using Vietnamese.

I didn't try the new application portal as I would have had to upload a pic and a passport data page to continue with the application. I suspect though that the same result would be found.

So yes, I believe that users of different language packs using either a PC or a Mac can successfully apply through the portals so long as their current/default keyboard language allows them to enter ICAO characters. The applications algorithm recognizes ICAO characters and seems "disinterested"(?) in the keyboard language setting.

OB, when you have a moment give it a try with your phone's keypad set to Tiếng Việt. I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

@Aidan in HCMC

Do you have any recommendations for an urgent visa agent? Just in case i don't get mine in time, I'm leaving in a few days and still so response so i really need to think of a backup plan now, thanks alot.

Do you have any recommendations for an urgent visa agent? Just in case i don't get mine in time, I'm leaving in a few days and still so response so i really need to think of a backup plan now, thanks alot.   
    -@chimiche

First allow me to ask just a couple of questions before you seek the services of an agent.

When does your current eVisa expire?

On what date did you submit your application and pay your fee?

Have you received confirmation of immigration receiving your application, and your payment?

And lastly, which eVisa application portal did you apply through?

@Aidan in HCMC

So i fixed my application and resubmitted it last Friday pm, it is now Wednesday afternoon and still no response, I'm stressed, I want to give it until tomorrow morning to wait for the visa or else I'll just get an agent or smth i can't deal w this anymore. Yea i paid for everything weeks ago, and i used the new portal the "evisa.xuatnhapcanh".

So i fixed my application and resubmitted it last Friday pm, it is now Wednesday afternoon and still no response, I'm stressed, I want to give it until tomorrow morning to wait for the visa or else I'll just get an agent or smth i can't deal w this anymore. Yea i paid for everything weeks ago, and i used the new portal the "evisa.xuatnhapcanh".         -@chimiche

Don't stress.

Though immigration states a 3 day turnaround, in actuality it usually takes just a day or two longer.

If you submitted your application on Friday the 8th before 5:00p.m., immigration will begin the approval process and day #1 will be Monday11th. They will then have 3 days from the 11th.

The date on which the application is received is not counted as day #1.

If you submitted it after 5:00 on Friday, immigration will not open it to get the process started until Monday morning, making Tuesday the 12th day #1. In that case, they give themselves until 5:00p.m. on Friday the 15th to reach a decision.

When is your eVisa set to expire? I can put you in touch with a member who would be happy to introduce you to his well known and trusted travel/visa agent. The agents are very quick in bringing an application to a conclusion, so if you have a few more days I recommend you hold off on going that route.

If you are unable to wait, let me know, and I'll PM (private message) you the member's contact details.

The "new" portal is PUBLIC SERVICE PORTAL MINISTRY OF PUBLIC SECURITY (not recommended), at

https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/boco … matt=26277

The "old/original" portal is NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION (good reports), at

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

@Aidan in HCMC
So i fixed my application and resubmitted it last Friday pm, it is now Wednesday afternoon and still no response, I'm stressed, I want to give it until tomorrow morning to wait for the visa or else I'll just get an agent or smth i can't deal w this anymore. Yea i paid for everything weeks ago, and i used the new portal the "evisa.xuatnhapcanh".

-@chimiche

these are general rules to follow which have proven themselves repeatedly over time:

do not count the day of submission as one of the average 3 working days required to fully process your application.

If we follow that, Saturday and Sunday are not working days for immigration visa processing, making Monday your first day, Tuesday your second day and today Wednesday, your third full day.

So the majority average would receive their visa approval late today or (more likely) first thing tomorrow morning Thursday (in your situation).

However, this coming Friday would not be totally unusual and the following Monday would be the extreme, based on the average time periods posted on the major Vietnam visa agent's website.

it's really important for us to use opportunities such as this to remind The casual reader why it's so important to apply for your visa at least two weeks before travel, though it's totally possible to apply up to six months before travel.

everyone is discouraged from waiting until the last week or two unless it's absolutely necessary.

best of luck to you in your personal situation.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for the reply! My visa just came in 10 minutes ago lol so its all good, Thank you and other members for helping me on this matter, you guys truly been a great help :)

@OceanBeach92107

It just came in!! just in time haha I'm relieved

Hello,

I've had my evisa application rejected for the ICAO name error, however as far as I can see I entered it exactly as requested:

E.g. say my name is Jane Ellen Smith. I was asked to input Surname then Given Name (which I put in first and middle name).

Surname: Smith      Given Name: Jane Ellen

However this was rejected so I am not sure what the issue is? Should it just be only my first name in Given Name? I assumed it should have all the same names as on my passport.

Thankful I applied for my visa well in advance. I have a few weeks before I go, but would really like to get this sorted!

Hello,
I've had my evisa application rejected for the ICAO name error, however as far as I can see I entered it exactly as requested:

E.g. say my name is Jane Ellen Smith. I was asked to input Surname then Given Name (which I put in first and middle name).

However this was rejected so I am not sure what the issue is? Should it just be only my first name in Given Name? I assumed it should have all the same names as on my passport.

Thankful I applied for my visa well in advance. I have a few weeks before I go, but would really like to get this sorted!
-@Traveller21

Hello Traveller21. Welcome to expat.com.

I see you are an Irish citizen. By chance, is there an apostrophe or a space in your surname? I ask because we have recently helped two other Irish citizens who had their applications returned to them for name amendments due to this.

Have you resubmitted your amended application yet?

Also, which of the eVisa application portals did you use?

Again, welcome to the forum. We'll try to get this sorted for you. Lots of friendly folk here.

Hi Guys, i have a problem with the rejections about entering the name, but I have two windows, 1 for Surename and a second for the Given Names, and have no idea how to fill it to make it correct ?

Hello,

-@Traveller21

I have exactly that same issue, but in approval mail hen there is window about the full name it appears only the data from the Surname:

Hi Guys, i have a problem with the rejections about entering the name, but I have two windows, 1 for Surename and a second for the Given Names, and have no idea how to fill it to make it correct ?        -@kindziukxxx

Hello kindziukxxx. Welcome to expat.com.

Take a look at the post, here. (Link) And here.

Included in the list of prohibited alphabets/characters would be Cyrillic, though I'm aware this would not apply to your situation.

Does that help? Please ask further questions if needed.

@Aidan in HCMC

Do you have any recommendations for a travel insurance in Vietnam? I wanna look into it just in case :)

@Aidan in HCMC
Do you have any recommendations for a travel insurance in Vietnam? I wanna look into it just in case smile.png-@chimiche

Hi. No, sorry, I do not.

I pay out-of-pocket for any medical expenses.

Hopefully another member will respond with a recommendation for you.

@Aidan in HCMC

Hi i checked both of the links and it didnt apply.

My name is

Lastname: Węglarz

First name: Piotr

Second name: jaroslaw

I entered in the surename Weglarz in the given name first time only Piotr second time Piotr Jaroslaw - got rejected,

now i entered - first name in the surename table, and second name Last name in the given names table

test.jpg

@Aidan in HCMC
Hi i checked both of the links and it didnt apply.
My name is
Lastname: Węglarz
First name: Piotr
Second name: jaroslaw
I entered in the surename Weglarz in the given name first time only Piotr second time Piotr Jaroslaw - got rejected,
now i entered - first name in the surename table, and second name Last name in the given names table

-@kindziukxxx

Interesting. Your second application submission looks correct,

i.e. SURNAME : WEGLARZ     GIVEN NAME : PIOTR JARASLAW     

I notice that you anglicized your surname in your description. Might you have, out of habit, input your name as " Węglarz " on the application, using the Polish character " ę " ?

Ensure there are no blank spaces/keystrokes either before or after a name where there should be none.

I suspect your most recent (third?)  application where you've input PIOTR as your surname will be "rejected".

I'm a little confused by the term "rejected". Did your application make it as far as payment, and was it then denied after you had paid? Reports are that incorrect name issues result in the applicant receiving an invitation to amend  their application, not simply "rejected".

Would you tell us, please, whether this is the eVisa application portal (Link) you are using? If not, would you let us know which portal you are using? Because you are a new member, any links you provide will not be displayed, as they must first be approved by expat.com administration. Simply telling us the name of the web portal would be fine (eg. NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION)

Hi I filled it during the second time, and i used latin to my Surename WEGLARZ and got rejected:

•    Denied Reason: Incorrect full name (as in ICAO line)

and i am using the portal you shared, i am 100% sure that i filled it

SURNAME: WEGLARZ     GIVEN NAME : PIOTR JAROSLAW   

for me it was also interesting as its not my first evisa application, but first time to Vietnam

so in such case i think i should submit using fast agency as weekend and my trip is coming soon,

can you reccomend any website that i will get the visa before the Monday (i know its extra pay)

@kindziukxxx

Okay, understood. Sorry to hear of the difficulties you're having, along with the frustration.

I've forwarded your contact details on to another long-time member asking that he provide you with the contact details of his travel/visa agent. It's late here, so I suspect he will not see my note to him until morning.

But tell me, have you now paid 3 times? I certainly hope not, as I see nothing wrong with how you've entered your name on the application.

@Aidan in HCMC
Do you have any recommendations for a travel insurance in Vietnam? I wanna look into it just in case smile.png-@chimiche

You might want to take a look here (Link to expat.com services/insurance).

Might be something there to suit you.

@Aidan in HCMC

fortunately i can just edit data and it was only one payment. I just started thinking if the system providing wrong way the name. As there is a moment when you send application the pop-out box appear  and the full name shows only the value from the Surname window even when two are required.

I will be really happy if i get someone i should be wake up in the morning my time (around 11am Vietnam time)

Thank you very much for help!

@kindziukxxx

You're very welcome.

Tell me, when you are on the "edit" screen, are you able to see your previously submitted application, already completed?

If so, on that completed application are your names appearing as you had input them? Just curious.

@kindziukxxx

I've sent you a PM.

Best of luck, and please let the forum know of your experience.

Hi Team

If the surname is not there in Passport what to fill in Surname field in Vietnam Visa request.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Team
If the surname is not there in Passport what to fill in Surname field in Vietnam Visa request.
Thanks in advance.

-@haroratech

Hello haroratech, and welcome to expat.com.

Recent posts regarding this very issue can be found by starting here. (Link)

When you do find a definitive answer to your question, please be so kind as to post your findings to the forum. We would certainly appreciate it.

Again, welcome aboard.

Hi.

My passport just has my first name and no surname. I got an amendment request because I filled both surname and given name as Ayush. I changed it to Given name : Ayush and surname:LNU. Now again I received amendment request and now I have changed it to Given name: FNU and surname: Ayush. Not sure if I should wait or apply for a new visa. My travel date is 23rd Sep and I have been struggling with this evisa for the last 3 weeks.

Please sugggest

Hi.
My passport just has my first name and no surname. I got an amendment request because I filled both surname and given name as Ayush. I changed it to Given name : Ayush and surname:LNU. Now again I received amendment request and now I have changed it to Given name: FNU and surname: Ayush. Not sure if I should wait or apply for a new visa. My travel date is 23rd Sep and I have been struggling with this evisa for the last 3 weeks.
Please sugggest
   -@ayushgulati35

Hello ayushgulati35, and welcome to expat.com.

Please see my comment directly above yours (link) in this thread. At this point in time, unfortunately, I have no information for people in your position.

I am currently in discussions with other expat.com experts/advisors worldwide. Though many experts/advisors are familiar with the matter of single-name individuals, I've yet to be given a definitive solution to their visa application troubles.

Due to your departure date of Sep23rd, my suggestion is that you reach out to a trusted travel agent for their assistance and/or advice.

Once you have found a solution, we would certainly appreciate your reporting back to the forum. Your input will be very much appreciated.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help than that at this time.

Once again, welcome to expat.com

Hello everyone! i just applied for an e-visa

to Vietnam. filled the form as required first name field and last name field.

thus, i just received my visa today, and on the evisa it says full name: my last name and then my first name. is that okay?

Hello everyone! i just applied for an e-visa
to Vietnam. filled the form as required first name field and last name field.
thus, i just received my visa today, and on the evisa it says full name: my last name and then my first name. is that okay?

-@Maestrofun

Yes. Absolutely correct

Hello everyone! i just applied for an e-visato Vietnam. filled the form as required first name field and last name field.thus, i just received my visa today, and on the evisa it says full name: my last name and then my first name. is that okay?        -@Maestrofun

Hello Maestrofun, and welcome to expat.com.

As OceanBeach92107  said, you're good to go! Very nice to hear of your successful application.

Would you tell us, please, which application portal you used to submit your application? Due to your being a new member, any links you submit will require expat.com administration approval before they are visible on the forum.

Was the portal the

PUBLIC SERVICE PORTAL MINISTRY OF PUBLIC SECURITY (Link)?

Or perhaps it was the

NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION (Link)?

Feel free to ask further questions as they arise, or to "Post new topic" at the forum's main Vietnam page (Link). Many helpful folk here at expat.com.

Again, welcome aboard.

Thank you both! appreciate it.

@Aidan, i used the second link!

@Maestrofun

Excellent, certainly much better reports being received from members regarding the (old/original) portal you used.

Thank you for letting us know.

Hello again! sorry to bother u ..

I was asked to select the point of entry (chosed ho chi minh) while filling the app for my visa.

however, it is not indicated on my evisa (does not precise any point), does that mean that i can enter from Hanoi for example?

I guess NO. You can exit wherever you like but enter only on selected POE. Print  visa letter out, otherwise they gonna charge you when you land 5 USD for printing it out for you.

Hello again! sorry to bother u ..
I was asked to select the point of entry (chosed ho chi minh) while filling the app for my visa.
however, it is not indicated on my evisa (does not precise any point), does that mean that i can enter from Hanoi for example?

-@Maestrofun

According to two visa agents I know (and common sense) since immigration is no longer printing the point of entry on visas, you are free to enter Vietnam at any one of the approved international immigration checkpoints.