Covid Masks

Have to say, it's often smart to wear a Covid mask.

Especially if you are an expat, and in the Philippines.

Why? Three reasons ...

1. It's the law in the Philippines. Quote: "All persons shall wear well-fitted face masks .. especially in public areas and enclosed spaces. Use of cloth face masks is not recommended in view of rising cases of COVID-19 in the country. However, if a medical grade mask or surgical mask is unavailable, wearing of two cloth masks could be an alternative."https://doh.gov.ph/node/33553

2. Washington University School of Medicine research has recently found: Quote: "Each Covid reinfection causes more severe disease .. Each Covid reinfection, regardless of a person's vaccination status, increases the risk of mortality and hospitalization, compared to the first infection. Moreover, the risk and burden of adverse health outcomes increases, with a lower risk for people with one Covid infection to the highest health risk for people with three or more infections." 

So, the above research indicates that the damage Covid does to us is cumulative, it adds up, each time we get Covid. If you're an older expat, in the Philippines, it's quite unlikely you will have access to a hospital critical care ventilator. Few existing Philippine citizens have access.  Without a ventilator more and more older Covid victims will simply die.

3. The Covid virus is mutating, and is apparently easier to catch. For example, just today we are told, "Covid-19 infections in the UK have jumped by more than half a million in just one week, with the rise likely to be driven by the latest Omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5, figures show. Hospital numbers are also continuing to increase, with early signs of a rise in intensive care admissions among older age groups. A total of 2.3 million people in private households are estimated to have had the virus last week, up 32% from a week earlier, according to the U.K. Office for National Statistics."

Please people, for your health, and for everyone .. stay safe.

Covid is still very much around .. a clear and present danger for everyone.

We all know how, avoid indoor places, crowds, and in public wear a good mask.

You really don't want to get Covid (again?) and, very sorry to say, especially when you're in the Philippines.

Yes, Thank you for the reminder.

Though after the past 2 years of living here, the facemask may as well be permanently stapled to my handsome face.

new normal indeed. and will be so for the coming year or longer.
90% of the "masks" used in public do more harm than good to your respiratory system... breathing in filth from a mask used every day.  I personally use an "unmask" brand while in Philippines... Having a mask on outside in the fresh air in my opinion is retarded... or wearing a mask into a restaurant... then taking it off to eat is even more retarded.  ....and by the way... The Currant "Variant" is a bad cold. 
90% of the "masks" used in public do more harm than good to your respiratory system... breathing in filth from a mask used every day.  I personally use an "unmask" brand while in Philippines... Having a mask on outside in the fresh air in my opinion is retarded... or wearing a mask into a restaurant... then taking it off to eat is even more retarded.  ....and by the way... The Currant "Variant" is a bad cold. 
- @Wellsfry

I wonder what is worse, breathing in filth from my mask or breathing in filth from living in NCR? You don't have to be outside to breath NCR air.

In my home I have Hepa air purifiers in every bedroom (4) plus a super home brew Hepa air purifier that cleans thousands of cubic feet per hour.

I the past I would have my air conditioner serviced every three months, the accumulation of intake dust was blocking the flow of conditioned output air. Since adding the Hepa air purifiers, it's been five months without service being needed.

Airborne viruses can spread on dust.
@Enzyte Bob
Wow... You are all set with those hepas... 👍🏻
I am not sure how anyone that lives in or around Manila could live without a set up love that... ditty, filthy air... I would personally wear an n95 if I lived in that city... lol... smog is so bad.... Kinda like L.A., New York, or other big cities.
DIY filter is easy to build, start with a 20" Balikbayan Box, cut rectangle holes on all four sides, attach Hepa filters with double sided foam tape on all four sides. On the bottom of the box (inside) install an 18" fan blowing up, on the top of the box place an 20" Box Fan blowing up, held in place with double sided foam tape.

You can buy commercial air purifiers on Shopee/Lazada between P800 to P1500 good for bedrooms. These same type of Air Purifiers sell at S&R for P5000/P6000.

You don't realize how must dust there is. My laptop was overheating from internal dust and shutting down. I bought a can of pure compressed gas, opened up the bottom of the laptop and cleared the dust clogging stuff out.

My laptop is now happy.
I started using filters in China over 20 years ago, used to be much more expensive and not simpler HEPA versions, but it was an imperative.  Have continued the practice in in Makati, though think adding a  charcoal filter may be worth the added level given the nature of the pollution here.  I  have not gotten to DIY on it but yes it is really that simple so good instructions!

As to masks - my take is Kn95 or not bother, and outside sure no need, but really glad they keeping the rule for inside as the infected person wearing a mask is the best defense of all.  The idea the mask wearing is anything other than positive is not borne out by the science. The idea that the variants are less dangerous, well for who?  If you are facing a re-infection then that definitely not the case, and if you over 65 it is plenty dangerous...so take care.

@PhilRes . . . . . .though think adding a  charcoal filter may be worth the added level given the nature of the pollution here.  I  have not gotten to DIY on it but yes it is really that simple so good instructions!

The inexpensive Hepa filters available on Shopee/Lazada are multilayered with one layer being charcoal.
Hah! did not know that, thanks!
PhilRes writes,

As to masks - my take is Kn95 or not bother, and outside sure no need, but really glad they keeping the rule for inside as the infected person wearing a mask is the best defense of all.  The idea the mask wearing is anything other than positive is not borne out by the science. The idea that the variants are less dangerous, well for who?  If you are facing a re-infection then that definitely not the case, and if you over 65 it is plenty dangerous...so take care. - @PhilRes

Would agree completely with just about everything you say Phil.

Must admit one thing though, especially when in the Phils. I find that 'outside' quickly become much like 'inside' in terms of your busy shopping footpaths or even just passing by or standing outside crowded shops. Anyway it takes so long to get my Kn95 mask on and fitting properly that it's easier just to leave it on when we're outside the car. Besides wifey's always happier if I leave it on when we're around town .. happy wife, happy life 1f600.svg
Just watch the latest Youtube videos on China. . . . They are having big big problems with Covid.

In the past, at the height of the pandemic in the rest of the world China was claiming absolutely zero infections.

There is no prevention of the common cold. . . .
For me here in the UK, I am just glad that I am no longer required to wear a mask inside or outside. I went to the local Co-op today, saw about 40 to 50 people while walking there and in the shop and not one of them was wearing a mask. Some people still do where masks but it is a very small percentage of the population here where I live.

The figures quoted and the percentages are correct however we have 211 covid patients in England in intensive care and although this is nearly a 100% increase from the start of June, it is still well off the 3700 recorded in January 2021.

Please do not get me wrong, if I travel to a country where face masks are mandatory, then I will wear them and obey the rules set down in that particular country but I do think we need accept covid for what it is now, which in my eyes is no worse than the seasonal flu.

When I read some of the comments on here referring to adding a charcoal filter to the masks, it reminded me of my old Air Force Days, having to wear a respirator and full NBC Suit when we had war exercises.
It should be noted though that the UK hospital admission statistics of people who test for covid are not necessarily there because of covid. Their reason for being admitted is due to another health issue. They just happen to test for covid.

@Lotus Eater Absolutely correct, I believe the number in hospital for other reasons that do test positive is somewhere around the 6 out of 10 patient mark.

Maybe, just saying .. here's some St Lukes Hospital Philippines posters 1f600.svg

GjFeju0.jpg

W3dh4Oy.jpg
@Cherryann01. . . .When I read some of the comments on here referring to adding a charcoal filter to the masks, it reminded me of my old Air Force Days, having to wear a respirator and full NBC Suit when we had war exercises.

A charcoal filter, part of Hepa filters was mention are used in home air purifiers.

I can see your point in your old air force days, but adding charcoal to an N95 filter sounds more like a Swedish invention.
Maybe, just saying .. here's some St Lukes Hospital Philippines posters 1f600.svg

GjFeju0.jpg

W3dh4Oy.jpg
- @PalawOne
With my experience with St. Lukes Hospital (not covid), patients will have a heart attack when they get the bill.

@Enzyte Bob My mistake. Believe it or not and I am going back to the early 80's here, women used to wear the NBC suits in the disco near where I was stationed when I served in Germany. To them it was fashion 1f923.svgTo me it was a ball ache getting all the charcoal off my body after wearing the suit.

@Enzyte Bob

Yes but given they won't let you leave the hospital until you've paid at least you're IN the hospital when that happens. I call it positive thinking :)
@Enzyte Bob I believe it is in China's benefit to try and keep covid relevant... so the state keeps churning out the "videos" (they control 100% of what comes out) to keep the fear mongering up... Nobody has ever explained why flu and Pneumonia deaths disappeared... while "covid" death spiked... this whole thing has been bigger than most of our understanding or comprehension.  I have never worn a mask since the beginning here in Washington State... I do in the Philippines(kinda) just for respect of the country and their rules... however... that being said... in the Philippines... people wore masks, and it was very normal to wear one way before "Covid"
Anyways... I respect everyone's right to choose what is good for you... wear one or not... up to you.  Cheers! 🍻
I am just happy it is mostly over, and I can be with my sweetheart again!!! 💕

@PalawOne  Fear mongering...  Politics.

@Enzyte Bob LoL... Exactly!

There is no enforcement of mask wearing here these days. Two years ago Tatay was slapped with a P500 fine by the local PNP for stepping outside our gate without a mask. Now you never see a police car, maybe they can't afford the fuel? There is no way to contact the police except in person. Police officers on the night shift lounge around their cottage wearing shorts and t-shirts until someone shows up with a complaint.

Hardly any adult is wearing masks at the market or hardware store these days. School kids are the main mask wearers. If you go to the "big city" of Naval you will be required to wear a mask in Prince or Citi Hardware. We did have a vaccination program and most everyone got the jab so I wonder how many with cold or flu symptoms are actually infected with covid? Without a testing program we will never know and it will appear we have it licked. One thing I've noticed is funeral processions pass by our house more regularly.
From @Moon Dog. . . . . .Hardly any adult is wearing masks at the market or hardware store these days.
I guess it depends on where you live.

The only time I'm out of the house here in the NCR is to go grocery shopping. So I've been in a Covid lockdown since August 2018, before ever hearing of Covid, I became a proud owner of Covid unfortunately.

So when I go to S&R or Landers, the grab driver wears a mask, all the shoppers wear a mask and I wear a mask. What the rest of the world and the Philippines is doing is observed on Youtube my source of wordwide news.

Now why is it that everyone at S&R or Landers, that I shop at still wear masks? Politically correct? Peer pressure? Conformity? More educated? Good citizenship? Follow the leader? or . . . . . "HABIT"

We use Grab (Rarely Grab Taxi) as our normal transportation method. Out of last five trips, three drivers were not wearing any Masks. Doesn't bother me cuz I have mine off until we reach a Mall or Landers/S&R Store. People are just Tired of these Masks rules which do not provide any serious safety. I am in Cebu, where the Governor Garcia has taken the Bold move of going against the DILG and their Draconian Mandates. I wish she would run for President next time.
Well all one can say is, good on all of us for doing the right thing when in the Philippines 1f600.svg

And just by the way, here's what John Hopkins Medicine have to say about Covid masks:

"Can wearing a face mask prevent coronavirus from spreading?

Yes. Since the coronavirus can spread through droplets and particles released into the air by speaking, singing, coughing or sneezing, masks are very helpful to prevent the virus from spreading in crowded indoor public places, especially those that contain a mixture of vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.

What is the best face mask for COVID-19?

The CDC provides an overview of various types of masks and respirators. In general, the most important things you can do are to choose a mask that fits well, and wear it consistently and properly when recommended or in situations that you are required to do so.

Here are brief descriptions of mask types:

Cloth Masks

In non-health care settings, multiple-layer fabric cloth masks are excellent barriers for containing respiratory droplets and interrupting viral transmission if they are worn consistently and properly, covering the nose and mouth.

Procedural and Surgical Masks

These are loose-fitting masks designed to cover the mouth and nose. Medical grade surgical or procedural masks provide excellent protection due to their filtration and fluid resistance..

N95s and Other Respirators

N95 respirators  offer a higher level of filtration than cloth, surgical or procedural masks.

N95s and KN95s are available to the public and, if worn consistently and properly, are effective to help prevent the spread of COVID-19."

--

@PalawOne Very scientific, a guy answered a questioned and confirmed your bias. No science to back up what you believe and improperly using PPE is the norm now. Just keep getting those boosters. 1f602.svg

It truly does depend on where you live.

Wearing facemasks is casually enforced at the local markets, and of course so at the large malls like SM and Robinsons - which are no further than 20 minutes from where i am in in San Fernando. However, within the barangay where i live, children of all ages play outside, and people venture down the street to go to the shops or to catch a jeepney/bus to go somewhere NOT wearing a mask, as if the pandemic has never happened.

Wearing a facemask in metro manila is still strictly enforced for the most part if i recall from my very last visit, and the PNP/Security will give you much trouble if you are not wearing one in a heavily populated establishment....Though, probably not to the same extent as they did even 6 months ago.

A venture out to the big Malls no longer require a vaccination card or accompanying Identification.

Well there are anti mask and some anti vaxx people on this forum.

The new virus coming down the pike is BA.5 better known as NINJA.

Not a misprint, it's not the computer game your kids/grand kids played: Ninja Teenage Mutant or is it the Ransom Malware Ninja Virus that infected millions of computers.
OH MY GOD! WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!?
- @garyww

Yeh I nearly had a heart attack when looking at the price of raspberries in the Philippines compared to the UK.

I have not worn a face mask here for a long time although I did read that some countries (Qatar being one), were going to re-introduce the mandatory wearing of them in closed public spaces. The article I read said Thailand may be next. I know face masks are meant to be worn inside and outside in the Philippines but  if a few countries decide to re-instate covid restrictions, others may follow and we could be back to quarantine again.
- @garyww

Absolutely true, but the timing is variable.

I, apart from getting run over on Indonesia's dodgy roads, landing in an aeroplane that didn't make the runway, or catching a nasty disease like terminal syphilis, expect to last another 10 to 20 years. I will spend that time growing old disgracefully and claiming my brain doesn't work properly when I make improper and impossible suggestions to the nurses.

On the subject of masks - I waited until I absolutely had to, that being when a bank wouldn't let me in unless I covered my face, but it's just normal now and really handy to filter out traffic pollution.
Masks are well proven to restrict (not stop) transmission of disease (That's why doctors wear them), so stupid arguments only make the person making the point look silly.

So, we're now refused entry to banks unless we wear a mask - I'm half expecting new rules to say we must all carry sawed off shotguns when we withdraw cash.

@Enzyte Bob viral human pathogens, or computer viruses?  Which is it, Enzyte Bob?

Can we stop the silly mask debate, please.

Masks have been accepted, well proven medical practice for over 100 years.

@Enzyte Bob viral human pathogens, or computer viruses?  Which is it, Enzyte Bob?

- @msmichaelstinson161

This question should be directed to President Marcos, three days after being sworn in, he has Covid.
@ Fred said . . . .On the subject of masks - I waited until I absolutely had to, that being when a bank wouldn't let me in unless I covered my face, ********************************************************

Did you hand a her a note that said: hand over all the money and no one will be hurt?

@ Fred said . . . .On the subject of masks - I waited until I absolutely had to, that being when a bank wouldn't let me in unless I covered my face, ********************************************************

Did you hand a her a note that said and hand over the money and no one will be hurt?

- @Enzyte Bob
Ner. Security carry big sticks here and use them with as much vigour as they do pleasure when someone goes too far. They used to open carry big Rambo knives as well but you don't see that these days.
Refusal to wear a mask in a bank would be greeted with a polite refusal of entry - doing a 'Karen' might well see you needing stitches.

@Enzyte Bob yes, passed through barely vacinated South Africa with few serious illnesses and deaths but is a serious problem in countries  that have a high % of vaccinations.  Just look at the numbers.

@Enzyte Bob

Funny but not so Funny !