Rappler, the Philippine independent news organization

"Philippines Orders Rappler to Shut Down"

Maria Ressa, the co-founder of the independent news organization, said she would appeal the decision, calling it “harassment and intimidation.”

By Sui-Lee Wee, The New York Times,  June 29, 2022

The Philippine government has again ordered that Rappler, the news website co-founded by Maria Ressa, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, be shut down for violating foreign ownership rules, the latest blow against press freedom in the country.

Rappler has angered President Rodrigo Duterte for investigating his drug war, and the government has filed seven criminal cases against Ms. Ressa, relating to tax evasion, violation of foreign ownership rules and cyber libel.

In his 2017 State of the Nation speech, Mr. Duterte singled out the news organization, saying it was “fully owned” by Americans, a charge that Rappler has denied. (The Constitution prohibits foreign entities from owning domestic media organizations in the Philippines.)

Tuesday's announcement by the Securities and Exchange Commission to revoke Rappler's operating license upholds an earlier move by the agency. In 2018 the S.E.C. said that an investment by Omidyar Network, owned by the eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, violated the restrictions on foreign ownership of domestic media.

Rappler has argued that Omidyar's investment was not the same as owning shares, did not violate the law and did not give Omidyar Network control of its operations. Rappler has appealed its case multiple times before the Court of Appeals and the S.E.C. but lost every time. It has continued to publish while its legal battles have dragged on.

Ms. Ressa said the Tuesday decision “effectively confirmed the shutdown of Rappler.” She had announced the S.E.C. decision earlier in a speech at the International Media Conference hosted by Hawaii's East-West Center.

In an interview from a hotel in Honolulu, Ms. Ressa said her organization would continue to appeal the decision “because the proceedings were highly irregular.”

“This is illegal,” Ms. Ressa said. “For me, this is harassment and intimidation. We'll continue doing our jobs. In fact, our end goal is to keep swatting away at that Damocles sword.”

Francis Lim, a lawyer representing Rappler, said the S.E.C., as an administrative agency, could not execute the decision without court approval. He said he planned to file a motion to the Court of Appeals to reconsider. If that fails, they could take the case to the Supreme Court.

“It's not the end of the world for us,” Mr. Lim told reporters, adding that there was still a “very long process” to go.

Phil Robertson, the deputy Asia director for Human Rights Watch, called the case a “government vendetta” against Ms. Ressa and Rappler. “The bottom line is this is an effort to shut up Nobel Laureate Maria Ressa, and shut down Rappler, by hook or by crook,” Mr. Robertson said.

The order came two days before Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the son of the ousted dictator, is scheduled to be inaugurated as president. It was the latest example of the pressures facing the nation's news media. Last week, the government blocked two Philippine news websites, saying they supported Communist-terrorist organizations.

On Monday, Mr. Duterte said he had used his presidential powers in 2020 to shut down ABS-CBN, a major broadcast network that has reported on the president's drug war and his track record.

Rappler, which has won multiple awards, is well known for its work on countering disinformation and its investigation into Mr. Duterte's drug war. It is particularly popular among young Filipinos. Last year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded the Peace Prize to Ms. Ressa and Dmitri A. Muratov of Russia, for “their courageous fight for freedom of expression.”

Ms. Ressa said the company has had to increase security for its staff after internet users recently spread a false claim that Rappler was the least trusted news organization in the Philippines and after a pro-government Facebook account published Rappler's address.

“When the rule of law is bent so much that it's broken,” she said, “you have to be ready for anything.”

--
They deserve it they spreading fake news here in Philippines also negativity to the government
This is a hot one!

In scouring the internet, I've discovered there's more than a few positions on the subject of the Rappler suspension, in light of the SEC decision, and none are without outspoken opposition.

Isn't it coincidental that a day before the Philippine Presidential Inauguration that Rappler is shut down?

First, a disclaimer. The Filipina Pea is a Youtuber with a robust following, who tackles controversial subjects like foreigner dating, social culture and taboos, and she has an entire episode dedicated to Philippine politics ,and how foreigner-meddling (and criticisms) are NOT welcome - by any Filipino. They might remain silent, but Filipinos don't appreciate it.

We expats are considered ignorant. On the matter of offering instant solutions to complex problems, and making sweeping generalisations, these aren't digestible. Paraphrasing, "Come, buy a condo, enjoy the sunny beaches, even date our women... but stay the hell out of our politics!" So.. I'll tread carefully. For Filipinos reading this, or anyone, PLEASE consider I have adopted an impartial, respectful tone for a delicate subject.

Filipinos themselves are increasingly connected and opinionated, and the voter excitement prior to the last national election was nothing short of electric. My formerly apolitical wife, based in the UK, was so invested in, and excited regarding, the outcome of the May election that she was checking social media posts almost hourly. It was like a Pacquiao fight. She told me about Marcos, and how he'd been defamed, and how this was a chance to restore his family reputation, and an opportunity for political reform.

Yet, the election results were still touchy, the win contentious, and despite their obvious tracking of the news, the Filipino nurses at my workplace were coy about sharing their own political views. Smart, I think.

It's no secret that even prominent Filipinos, broadcasting criticism of certain government figures, are at risk of...let's say, "sanction". Point in case, journalist assassinations in the Philippines are amongst the highest in the world.

Recognised (and lamented) by Filipinos themselves, political corruption is the cancer that degrades the entire system and prevents opportunities for so many, most in fact. When I had dinner with a Filipino businessman two years ago he said it well, "Filipinos can thrive in every country in the world, except one!"

Guess which that "one" country is?

Corruption starts pre-election. A local mayoral candidate on the island where we have a farm explained it to me. He bought votes, if elected, there needs to be a "return on investment", simple. That fits. My wife's family are poor but pragmatic, and really look forward to the elections, so they line-up every time because that means little bonuses. They splurge on Lechon. The process continues...

But there is a war, is there not? Duterte's non-declared war against corruption and drugs. A necessary, non-declared war. If so, battle-grade strategies are to be employed.

I visited Ozamis City in Mindanao not a few times in the early 2000's, and it was an open secret that the local mayor was a drug kingpin, dealing in "shabu" or methamphetamine. In Paroc Dos, Carangan where I stayed, I heard the unmistakable ring of gunfire several evenings, witnessing one shooting personally at close range. Applying first aid in the middle of the street, I unsuccessfully assisted a dying young man. Meanwhile shabu "hits" were sold for 30 pesos a pop in Ozamis, and tricycle drivers could be seen riding down the street sideways.

Can this type of dysfunction be ignored? Do nice methods work in the face of such bold corruption?

When Duterte got into power, I think, the only real choice he had was to ignore the cancer, or outright combat it. Wikipedia tells us, "At dawn of Sunday, July 30, 2017, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) and the Ozamiz City police conducted a simultaneous raid in the house of the Parojinogs in Ozamiz and other associated properties, leaving 15 persons killed, including incumbent Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog and his wife." The city mayor was completely taken out!

I can't tell you if this resolved the problem in Ozamis completely, but I can tell you Christian, my friend's oldest son, gripped in a drug-taking spiral, was so awakened by the episode he left for Boracay and got a job. He's been doing well since, with only one relapse, but on track.

So back to the SEC Rappler suspension in relation to this non-declared war,...was it a move to eliminate criticism of the government, or a purging of a dangerous misinformation channel? I believe it is a symptom of the overall attempt to instill law and order, and a parting shot the President Duterte administration - wholly sanctioned by the incoming Marcos government. It's actually not over, and the Rappler owner,  2021 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Ressa , vows to legally fight on another day. They're still up and running. So, I'm watching with great interest. We will know very soon if the new administration revokes the charges, or doubles-down, and exactly where they stand on the matter.

You'll be pleased to know I have finished my time off work and back on duty tomorrow, so this will be the last long-winded post for a while. Thank goodness. Peace.
A brilliant exposition by a very talented and intelligent person. Very much respect, good sir!

As you say it's surely a 'hot one'. I'd also guess for us as expats, you've said it all. Thank you.

You may notice that the original poster scrupulously avoided any personal comments at all.

And so now, wise ones, maybe we should just leave this matter ... right here and right now?

Must admit feeling sad to hear you've got responsibilities elsewhere. You're one of our best.
There is even a LAW against telling the TRUTH !!!  if its embarrassing for the one who did it - which is the NORMAL when someone do serious embarrassing things against others...   1f923.svg

There are even much worse serious actions against journalists than closing media, several have been killed... 1f621.svg

A traveling foreigner made videos from different places, normaly POSITIVE, but then one what some negative and I BELIEVE he got deported  (jailed?)  At least he stoped posting videos suddenly.

I suppouse its related to "Lose face" culture, which many handle very odd by to try to avoid losing face they deny/dont tell important things, which - beside making their screwing ups worse by not telling - they lose face  WORSE when its found out...

@coach53 The 2021 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded jointly to Maria Ressa (Rappler, Philippines) and Dmitry Andreyevich Muratov (Russian Journalist). Both were awarded the prize for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression. I saw a short interview with both of them and Dmitry said some of his colleagues had been targeted and murdered.

@coach53 The 2021 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded jointly to Maria Ressa (Rappler, Philippines) and Dmitry Andreyevich Muratov (Russian Journalist). Both were awarded the prize for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression. I saw a short interview with both of them and Dmitry said some of his colleagues had been targeted and murdered.

- @Cherryann01
Yes. PalawOne wrote about that in his first post, so why did you write this to me???

During several years I have red Rappler now and then and some about problems they have had...

@coach53 Gee you just do not seem to get it. Yes he explained most but not about the murdering of Russian journalists did he.

"The Philippine government has again ordered that Rappler, the news website co-founded by Maria Ressa, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, be shut down for violating foreign ownership rules, the latest blow against press freedom in the country.

--
- @PalawOne
Assuming the foreign ownership rule is true, then Rappler is operating outside the law.
It took about two minutes to find that much out.

As for killing and/or arresting journalists, that's hardly unique to your country of choice. I won't bother with the rights and wrongs because taking political sides is a waste of time, but I will say countries with supposed freedom of the press do it when journalists expose war crimes or whatever.

"Freedom of the press", they shout, then block press sites they don't agree with.  Take a trip around Google, find out how many countries block news outlets they dislike, then realise it's pointless to have a go at just one of them.
I don't know where the readers of this thread are from, but if it's the US, UK, EU, Russia, or China (and likely a lot more), consider condemning all on that list as well because they all block news from sites they don't like.
Politics - A place where bribes and hypocrisy get married and breed lots of bastard lies.

@coach53 Gee you just do not seem to get it. Yes he explained most but not about the murdering of Russian journalists did he.

- @Cherryann01
Gee   :)   I have KNOWN long time about murders of russian journalist, but this is about Phils, so I didnt write about Russia...  So why did you write that to ME???
This is a rather sensitive and intriguing post for me… as I have friends who work at Rappler and are directly effected by all of this nightmare scenario that is unfolding within and to their organization.

From what they have shared with me, many employed by Rappler are scared for their lives as to what will happen. Yet they remain vigilant to press on and to do the work required of them despite what the coming months and year or more might bring.  All i can tell you that is the majority of the staff that work at Rappler are some of the brightest kids you'll ever meet (I say 'kids' because the median age of the employed is about 28)

I'll have to gather my thoughts and be rational..though I am very interested and keen to join in on this conversation once i do so !

@PalawOne

Thanks for your kind words. I second-guessed myself before posting, knowing the subject matter is somewhat controversial. Hopefully my post came across as non-judgmental, and considered. The truth is we're happiest in the Philippines and have had experiences that would not have been afforded to us anywhere else.  For that we're grateful.

Talking with my Cebuana wife this evening, with the new administration, we're hopeful of positive political changes, bringing strong economic growth, and resolution of some systemic problems -  that Fred kindly pointed out are everywhere, and not specifically Philippines. Will let the topic rest.

0mo..

I feel its about authoritarians and democratic systems increasingly polarised around the world.
Each year a Washington based charity the World Justice Project (WJP) publishes the ‘Rule of Law' index which  covers 140 countries.

Essentially its a league table that draws on thousands of responses from households, legal practitioners and experts. It gathers information about people's experience of the justice systems in their countries. Index scores are based on constraints of government power, corruption (yes that C word occasionally crops up in the Philippines) regulatory implementation, order & security and the enforcement of civil and criminal law.

The Philippines currently ranks 102 on the latest 2021 report.
@gsturdee

Thanks for your kind words. I second-guessed myself before posting, knowing the subject matter is somewhat controversial. Hopefully my post came across as non-judgmental, and considered. The truth is we're happiest in the Philippines and have had experiences that would not have been afforded to us anywhere else.  For that we're grateful.

Yes, my wife and I fully understand your feeling of gratitude towards the Philippines, both as a country and as a wonderful culture. And your post came across as thoughtful and caring. We have also felt the exactly the same way regarding what the country offers, and has and will freely give all those prepared to simply open their eyes and hearts to the honest nature and simple truths of the country and its fine people.

Talking with my Cebuana wife this evening, with the new administration, we're hopeful of positive political changes, bringing strong economic growth, and resolution of some systemic problems -  that Fred kindly pointed out are everywhere, and not specifically Philippines. Will let the topic rest.
- @gsturdee

Again, watching the Marcos inauguration on television, one must admit one feels hope. In our opinion he has come across initially as honest and sincere in his expression of seeking unity, first and foremost, and economic progress, education, food and covid health and safety. We felt inspired actually. Of course, time will tell 1f600.svg

"Again, watching the Marcos inauguration on television, one must admit one feels hope. In our opinion he has come across initially as honest and sincere in his expression of seeking unity, first and foremost, and economic progress, education, food and covid health and safety. We felt inspired actually. Of course, time will tell "

Oh for goodness sake save us all. You feel ‘inspired' by a man who on his inaugural speech praised his late father and notorious dictator?

His father who looted the country of billions of dollars and who had countless opponents murdered?

Would you have said that to the son of Benigno Aquino Jr who was assassinated during Fernando Marcos's dictatorship in1983? The son who went on to become President himself?

“In your opinion he (Ferdinand Marcos Jr) has come across initially as honest and sincere in his expression of seeking unity first and foremost and economic progress, education, food and covid health and safety” Blah Blah Blah

What do you expect any politician to say on his inauguration? I could have written that speech myself. The guy's achieved his aim and he knows his Daddy would be proud of him. He is not driven by any ambition to erase the deep seated and structural economic & social problems that beggars the country. The Philippines political dynasty has been reset and returned to ‘business as usual” Job done.

What the country needs is an inspired politician to drag the country out of the mess its in. Inspired you may be but inspiring the new President ain't.
Lotus Eater writes, "Oh for goodness sake save us all ... In your opinion he (Ferdinand Marcos Jr) has come across initially as honest and sincere in his expression of seeking unity first and foremost and economic progress, education, food and covid health and safety”   Blah Blah Blah"

Would suggest you get over yourself. Who are you, or me, to complain?

Marcos IS their President. He won in a landslide victory. Best accept that!

Better to accept that, try to look for any positives, then, get on with reality?

“Judge me not by my ancestors, but by my actions,” Marcos said in a statement
Tuesday. “It is my promise to be a president for all Filipinos.”  And It may be true?

The same as Trump, he IS whom the Phils voted for. Who are you, or we, to whinge?

We Aussies will always be looking on the bright side. Give him a chance. He isn't his father.

If you want to rant and rave over these election results, you'll have to go somewhere else.

The folk of the Philippines will NOT accept you slagging their leader. Neither will we here.

I spoke honestly of my first impressions of him. And they ARE first impressions. I've never
even heard him speak before. Here in Australia we take people as who they be, right now.

That's what we do. We Aussies always will. Accept everyone as we find them here and now.

If you can't give him a chance, and pre-judge him (prejudice), you aren't being fair to him.

So anyway .. whatever.  Haha, think and say whatever you like, matey, we'll just be Aussie 1f600.svg
No matter where you are in the world some sort of media is shut down when it selectivity convenient for those who will benefit from the act of doing so.

A lot of media is reported or misreported depending on the views of the editor or ownership.

How often does a zealous reporter write a slanted article or write fiction to gain favor?

How many times in the States or UK while in supermarket checkout lines you read the headlines of some  ridiculous rag?

Censorship has a negative effect on the censor, it does more damage to them by insulting the readers by giving them the message that they know best for them.

Propaganda does not sway minds, propaganda on both sides end up in a stalemate.
No matter where you are in the world some sort of media is shut down when it selectivity convenient for those who will benefit from the act of doing so.
- @Enzyte Bob
No  :)
I know USA had it when American government (I believe it was during Nixon) tried to stop newspapers from revealing BS by the government about VietNam war, AFTER US government had known long time it was a dead cause, but no president wanted to be the first to give up and lose a war, which made a lot of Americans lost their lives WASTED by that AFTER the leaders knew it...

BUT the CLOSEST to get a media closed by power abuse in Sweden I know of during my lifetime was when a left wing newspaper got a bit problem after they in "IB-affären" revealed  a so secret organisation under the Defencedepartment so not even the Parlament knew it excisted. It registered people just because of  having left wing opinions.   The newspapers DIDNT got closed,  but some reporters got jailed* a while for espionage at that kind of not allowed secret organisation. (It ended up with a law against registering people just because of political opinions.)

*but became famous reporter/author by it  :)
Lotus Eater writes, "Oh for goodness sake save us all ... In your opinion he (Ferdinand Marcos Jr) has come across initially as honest and sincere in his expression of seeking unity first and foremost and economic progress, education, food and covid health and safety”   Blah Blah Blah"

Would suggest you get over yourself. Who are you, or me, to complain?

Marcos IS their President. He won in a landslide victory. Best accept that!

Better to accept that, try to look for any positives, then, get on with reality?

“Judge me not by my ancestors, but by my actions,” Marcos said in a statement
Tuesday. “It is my promise to be a president for all Filipinos.”  And It may be true?

The same as Trump, he IS whom the Phils voted for. Who are you, or we, to whinge?

We Aussies will always be looking on the bright side. Give him a chance. He isn't his father.

If you want to rant and rave over these election results, you'll have to go somewhere else.

The folk of the Philippines will NOT accept you slagging their leader. Neither will we here.

I spoke honestly of my first impressions of him. And they ARE first impressions. I've never
even heard him speak before. Here in Australia we take people as who they be, right now.

That's what we do. We Aussies always will. Accept everyone as we find them here and now.

If you can't give him a chance, and pre-judge him (prejudice), you aren't being fair to him.

So anyway .. whatever.  Haha, think and say whatever you like, matey, we'll just be Aussie 1f600.svg
- @PalawOne

"If you want to rant and rave over these election results, you'll have to go somewhere else. The folk of the Philippines will NOT accept you slagging their leader. Neither will we here."

Excuse me this a Forum for discussion and opinions and its the Forum moderators who decide whether my comments are appropriate.

Don't forget to take your bigoted blindfold off when you go to bed tonight
Apologies Lotus, was just a little upset you didn't seem to give the guy any chance.
He was only made President yesterday, and, whatever his family has done the guy,
any guy, deserves a fair chance. But, I may have been a little over to top. Apologies.
Apology accepted ;)

there , there gentleman.  glad to you see you have reasonably made up.

this forum has had its share of toxic arguements and bickerings.  it's tiring. 
we don't need to see further conversations mutate into more of it.

@PalawOne

I've only found you gentlemanly and moderate, as well wisely constructive with your political views...but this time we saw your teeth. Fair enough.

I quite enjoy the lively discourse,  although it's more enjoyable when we exchange opposing views civilly. In truth, we Philippine Expats, have more than a few things in common, compared to the others in this unique setting. As a result, forums such as this are educational on a variety of levels, and social even.

When at my place in the province (which will be next week, yipee!), most of my relatives and neighbours speak basic, conversational English, (and I'm limited in my Bisaya). So , these posting are freshening as I get awakened to all sorts of concepts, challenged often, and they help keep me sane (in a manner of speaking).

Thanks Gents.
@PalawOne  I've only found you gentlemanly and moderate, as well wisely constructive with your political views...but this time we saw your teeth. Fair enough.
Very kind thank you, Gsturdee 1f600.svgMind, wouldn't say one showed teeth. "Would suggest you get over yourself" seems like a finger maybe? But, even that isn't like me, hence one apologized. One cares regards forum civility.

I quite enjoy the lively discourse,  although it's more enjoyable when we exchange opposing views civilly. In truth, we Philippine Expats, have more than a few things in common, compared to the others in this unique setting. As a result, forums such as this are educational on a variety of levels, and social even.

When at my place in the province (which will be next week, yipee!), most of my relatives and neighbours speak basic, conversational English, (and I'm limited in my Bisaya). So , these posting are freshening as I get awakened to all sorts of concepts, challenged often, and they help keep me sane (in a manner of speaking).  Thanks Gents. - @gsturdee

As usual, would agree completely with you matey. And, very good to hear you'll be back next week. It's a long flight for you guys. What, thirteen hours or so? Certainly hope all goes well. Maybe make the trip a post or two? That would certainly be of interest and possible assistance for many regarding current flights, airports etc for us. Anyway, just a suggestion, maybe think about telling us about it between and then please? Cheers always fella!
@PalawOne . . . . . . On Monday, Mr. Duterte said he had used his presidential powers in 2020 to shut down ABS-CBN, a major broadcast network that has reported on the president's drug war and his track record.
Although this happened some time ago ABS-CBM programming is alive and well on the Kapamila Channel which is owned and operated by them.

I really don't think President Duterte decision to shut down their over the air programming has much bite as more people use cable now.  It could cheaper to producing cable programming than over the air programming.