Question for those in Phu My Hung

Is there a noise ordinance?  I'm honestly going to go nuts if I have to hear any more late night karaoke, and we need to live where it's much quieter than D. 5.  Thanks!

Haha Joey unfortunately there is none. It only applies for food establishments and they stop when the business close. In most districts they can legally open till 10pm but in D1 pham Ngu Lau they have 24hr operation license. Then again no expat in the right frame of mind would live there.

Maybe u should consider moving to D2. It is a relatively new residential development area & decent neighborhood consisting of mainly expats & wealthy vietnamese.

Phu My Hung is genarally quite quiet but then again if u are unlucky enough to live with a neighbor who likes to karaoke there's nothing u can do about it except excercise your diplomacy skills.

I think the experience is an  indispensible part of living in vietnam. Non-stop dogs barking and chickens crowing (in the middle of the city) is just part of life here.

I live in Sky Garden in Phu My Hung on the 13th floor. All I hear at night is the cool breeze blowing through my screen windows and the distant quiet hum of traffic on Nguyen Van Linh which is never a bother. I will never ever ever live in the city again. $550 gets you a high-rise 2 bd, 71sq/m apt. surrounded mostly by Korean neighbors who keep to themselves.

I agree with The Doov.
I also used to live in the center (how I hated that rooster...)and noisewise is definetely an improvement. Plus, at least in my block of flats, management will take care of noisy neighbours. Worth the commuting if you ask me.

The Doov and Musica.  Thanks so much for the suggestions!  We will definitely check out Sky Garden once our lease is up, especially since it's the same price we're at right now.

D2, D7 and Binh Thanh District are the best. I hate living in D1 and D3 although it's the city center.

I have a friend living in Sky Garden and always have a hard time finding her apartment. It's so biggggggg but I love it :)

Hi Joeysmith,
[no free ads on the forum]

It seems that a lot of people are happy about living in Phu My Hung. How long is the commute to District 1 nowadays (both ways)? It used to be quite horrendous when I lived in Phu My Hung 4 years ago!

I agree, Sky Garden is a great place to live. Like Doov, I live facing Nguyen Van Linh but on the 4th floor. The traffic gets a little loud sometimes but my landlord installed double-paned windows to shut out the noise so it's not that big of a problem.

From Sky Garden to D1 using Nguyen Huu Tho is about 15 minutes (one-way), so it's a little bit of a commute if you drive to D1 everyday. The open space and clean(er) air in PMH definitely makes up for it though.

jhat
Thanks for your info.
15 min is very acceptable. How come it is so much quicker now? It used to be 30 min++/way and my friends insist that it is still as horrible.

are you talking about off-rush hours? driving motorbike or taking taxi?

I am interested to know the time it takes for a taxi to D1 during rush hour (to go to/from work)
Thanks

A brief amendment to my prior post:  There is a cafe near SGarden called the Garden Cafe and they are trying to spruce the place up by cranking crappy music a little later than it should be cranked.  Also, the food is not as good as it used to be.  AND, I devoured by mosquitoes there which led to me getting Dengue Fever.

True about Garden Cafe, but that'll end after we sabotage and booby trap their sound system, and throw some molotov cocktails filled with DEET in their general direction.

This is a grand plan, indeed!!  Deet bombs!

since i have been here, i live in PMH and i have to say i dont want to live out this area.
and now i decide to work at Phu My Hung co, LTD haha

There is but it's ever enforced.

If they enforced it they couldn't pump concrete at night, they couldn't repair the roads at night, there would be no overnight construction.

Karaoke hours are until 02.00H. If you have a problem go to the Cong An office (local one) and complain. If nothing happens, go to the main Cong An office (where you file you residency forms).

Funny thing is people praise Phu My Hung to the heavens. In reality there is a much quieter ward next door, in Q7, Binh Chanh. There 2 bedroom apartments, in condo's, with pool and sundeck are going for $450++++ (electricity, cable, InterNet and water). The only noise is from cockerels and a brick or stone fixes that. PM me and I'll give you a rental contact. Oh, parking VND40,000/month. We also have a standby generator.

Phu My Hung is the best place to live in Vietnam!

[link moderated]