Engaged To Be Married In Vietnam

Finally!

Anybody else?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Finally!

Anybody else?

Congratulations OB.
Yes I am also officially engaged. Asked her When we were at a beach in Cambodia.
We want to wed in Hawaii but with the delays for getting interviews we may do it in Vietnam.

We may not always agree on things here but I think we can agree that we are both lucky men.

pogiwayne wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Finally!

Anybody else?

Congratulations OB.
Yes I am also officially engaged. Asked her When we were at a beach in Cambodia.
We want to wed in Hawaii but with the delays for getting interviews we may do it in Vietnam.

We may not always agree on things here but I think we can agree that we are both lucky men.

Can't argue with that... 😂😂😂

Congratulations to you too PW 😎👍

Please keep us all updated as the blessed day approaches.

Cheers!

:cheers:

My "twin sister" Ciambella will serve as "a representative of the groom's family in all meetings and exchanging gifts/offerings"

No doubt the wedding will be in my fiancée's home province of Quảng Ngãi.

Congratulations!

Still engaged. My extension was denied the day we wanted to apply for the certificate back in February.  I'll return to HCM this Friday and our lawyer arranged everything for a speedy process. 

For the official ceremony with guests and stuff we'll have to wait until end of December to have a one year mourning period (?; not super sure what the exact reasons are) after her grandfathers death.

Not too sad about the extra prep time. That day already sounds like a nightmare to me. A total of 20 (!) aunts and uncles alone. I hope it's true what people say and the money gifts will cover the costs of this. Would be a shame to waste money on what we both anticipate to be the most stressful and overrated day of our lives.

Most fun I had in 2020 when I was living in Hanoi was to attend a dear Vietnamese friend's wedding celebration that had been postponed a few times because of work, virus, and family issues. I attended this wonderful party and I was the only expat there surrounded by about 200 Vietnamese people partying down. I got to meet my friends dad and we toasted each other with rice wine and then beer. Then more beer. So much food and fun. Perhaps my friends were stressed out all dressed up but I was wearing t shirt, shorts and sandals. Hahaha. Great times. I wish everyone much happiness and success. I don't think I will do the marriage thing ever again. Been there, done that one too many times. I'll just attend your wedding celebration OB or whoever and drink your booze and eat your food.

Congrats all. Have a blast!

mpmilestogo wrote:

Most fun I had in 2020 when I was living in Hanoi was to attend a dear Vietnamese friend's wedding celebration that had been postponed a few times because of work, virus, and family issues. I attended this wonderful party and I was the only expat there surrounded by about 200 Vietnamese people partying down. I got to meet my friends dad and we toasted each other with rice wine and then beer. Then more beer. So much food and fun. Perhaps my friends were stressed out all dressed up but I was wearing t shirt, shorts and sandals. Hahaha. Great times. I wish everyone much happiness and success. I don't think I will do the marriage thing ever again. Been there, done that one too many times. I'll just attend your wedding celebration OB or whoever and drink your booze and eat your food.

Congrats all. Have a blast!

Escape from Vietnam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN471cKEomY:)

devbob wrote:

For the official ceremony with guests and stuff we'll have to wait until end of December to have a one year mourning period (?; not super sure what the exact reasons are) after her grandfathers death.

Not too sad about the extra prep time. That day already sounds like a nightmare to me. A total of 20 (!) aunts and uncles alone. I hope it's true what people say and the money gifts will cover the costs of this. Would be a shame to waste money on what we both anticipate to be the most stressful and overrated day of our lives.

I hear you.

In my mind it was going to be a fairly easy process: return to Vietnam, file the paperwork in Quảng Ngãi and be married (probably a family party afterwards).

My fiancée is a 41 year-old divorcée with twin 18-year-old daughters, and before covid she had been living away from home in Vũng Tàu (supporting her family, of course) but not always returning home at traditional times such as Tết, perhaps due to her father having disapproved of her 1st marriage to begin with (however, now that he and I have spent some time together, he approves of her marrying me).

She admits to being very headstrong when it comes to dealings with her father, so I wasn't planning on pushing any sort of traditional ceremony.

But my "twin sister" Ciambella has convinced me that there is a middle ground between a full, blown-out traditional Vietnamese wedding ceremony and simply eloping.

She specifically pointed out that the grandparents (with whom the daughters normally live) would want to have some level of traditional ceremony for the sake of their grandchildren (as well, of course, to save face within their local community  ;) )

I'm pretty sure most of this doesn't matter much to my fiancée, but this wouldn't be the first time that I insisted on doing something to please her parents, and in the end had her be grateful for my stubbornness.

Hopefully the plan on which Ciambella and the parents agree will still make it possible to have the wedding by the end of the summer, but if it requires a few more months of putting aside some extra dough, that won't bother me.

mpmilestogo wrote:

...Perhaps my friends were stressed out all dressed up but I was wearing t shirt, shorts and sandals. Hahaha. Great times. I wish everyone much happiness and success. I don't think I will do the marriage thing ever again. Been there, done that one too many times. I'll just attend your wedding celebration OB or whoever and drink your booze and eat your food...

Yes, I think most respectful Vietnamese would never turn away someone wearing the traditional caricature uniform of an expat...but I'd bet Ciambella would let you have it.

Thanks very much for your kind good wishes.