Health declaration form on entry to Vietnam

I intend to come to Ho Chi Minh city from the UK in May of this year and need to complete a health declaration form prior to entry.

It appears that I have to register a VN sim in order to verify  the health declaration form.

How can I get a VN sim before I get into Ho Chi Minh

drybones wrote:

I intend to come to Ho Chi Minh city from the UK in May of this year and need to complete a health declaration form prior to entry.

It appears that I have to register a VN sim in order to verify  the health declaration form.

How can I get a VN sim before I get into Ho Chi Minh

Don't worry about that ahead of time (probably not possible unless you have someone in Vietnam who can DHL one to you).

You are in the same boat with all of your fellow passengers on the airplane and none of them will be prepared ahead of time with a SIM card unless they are returning to Vietnam and already have an active SIM card on their phone.

Sim cards are available in the airport after you pass through immigration, and you will be instructed to get one and download the app and go from there.

The bigger issue might be whether your phone model is compatible with a Vietnamese sim card.

In case it isn't, you will need to purchase a new phone, but no one will be standing over you making you buy one at the airport, so you can make your first stop a cell phone store.

Just out of curiosity OB is it still this online form? It seems from Mexico you can fill the form out? Is there a step of verification? I remember filling the form out numerous times for domestic flights in Vietnam last few years. I don't see how the second tab entry form is verified though. Maybe this is not the correct form any longer though. I see it lists various Vietnamese SIM cards on the form.

https://tokhaiyte.vn

mpmilestogo wrote:

Just out of curiosity OB is it still this online form? It seems from Mexico you can fill the form out? Is there a step of verification? I remember filling the form out numerous times for domestic flights in Vietnam last few years. I don't see how the second tab entry form is verified though. Maybe this is not the correct form any longer though. I see it lists various Vietnamese SIM cards on the form.

https://tokhaiyte.vn

I know that is the correct link, but I don't know the answers to your other questions.

Here is my best guess (please someone kindly correct me if I'm giving misleading or incorrect information):

Since few if any fellow airplane passengers will have a Vietnamese sim card before landing, the initial health declaration will likely be done on a paper form and presented to immigration at the airport, just as is normally done with customs declaration forms.

At that point people will be instructed to get a Vietnamese sim card that day, download the app and make your first online registration and update then.

I had to fill the same form last year.
The airline company told me to do it before departure.
Assuming we are talking about https://tokhaiyte.vn

Verification is only for the domestic move.
The default tab with which the website opens.
Drybones should select the second tab at the top: "For people entering Entry declaration."
Easy to overlook. Atleast I did :)

In the phone number field it sais "Vietnam number or roaming number"
In my case I entered my Dutch mobile number.
Works fine.

Once in Vietnam..get a local number and register for that pc covid app just like OceanBeach said.

Thanks for the info. I missed that line about roaming number when i did a quick skim of the form.

I wrongly assumed that when i verified my info it was sent to the ‘powers that be' who would check it then send back a code to the VN sim.

I did mine on the website before I arrived in VN without a VN SIM.  Everyone else that hadn't done it had to do it in line waiting for the check of the negative covid test.  You need that QR code before you can pass the health check line before you move to the normal immigration line.

Thanks RCP79 and SteinNebraska for clarifying the process and correcting me
:cheers:

Just filled my entry declaration for Friday. Heads up for anyone struggling: you need to disable your ad blocker. Otherwise you'll be unable to select any provinces/wards or to upload your vaccine and test files.

Absolutely stunning how incredibly bad software is in this country. Thousands of young people finishing software degrees every year here, yet every single piece of software I came across in the last five years was utter garbage. Not a single exception.

28th of April is Girls Day in Germany. Our Berlin office will welcome a few young ladies that show interest in pursuing a career in software and spend 8 hours with a female engineer to create a small mobile app or web application. The result will with no doubts be a better product than this very simple entry declaration form.

Sorry for the off topic rant. Just hurts me as a professional to see these disasters.

I quite agree with the software remark. I am from the UK but that is not a listed option, only England. I am not racist but since I am Scottish I have to tell a lie in order to complete the form.

devbob wrote:

Sorry for the off topic rant. Just hurts me as a professional to see these disasters.

Didn't seem  :offtopic:  to me, and I'm one of those who cares about such things.

@drybones  ho bro how did you get on? It's possible to buy sim cards in The arrivals lounge

Hi, I do not arrive until 5th May, however I did a dummy run on the health form app and it accepted my UK mobile phone number. It then generated a QR code which I could store on my phone or print out a paper copy. 

A sim card can be purchased in the arrivals hall. Just show your passport to get it registered.

Only lasts a month if not registered.

It is cheaper to buy one in Saigon, 

I used my brother-in-law's Vietnamese number. No problem 😉
@RCP79
Hi RCP79,
I'm in Thailand trying to help a friend who is in the UK and wants to get back to VN. He is computer semi-literate. He has a dumbphone and a wifi only tablet.
I've handballed the eVisa application to his travel agent but am still lumbered with the Health Declaration.
Three Questions (and please don't laugh if they sound stupid)
1. The phone number you entered at  "Vietnam number or roaming number" is the number the QR code was sent to?
2. At the top of the form it says "Attention: Marked fields (*) is required information to enter" but the
"Information on vaccination against Covid-19" and "Information on testing for Covid-19" are not marked (*).
I assume this is poor website design and this info is required. Yes?
3. How long did it take from hitting the "Submit Form" button to getting the QR Code?
Thanks for your help.