Bank and credit card payments for Claro cell phones

Hi all,
My wife and I now have Claro DR cell phones on a monthly billing cycle.
I've attempted several times to get my Banco debit card signed up to pay for the service. So far it hasn't worked. Also tried my USA MC and no joy.

We recently got our cédulas, but our bank account is still under my passport. Not sure if that is the cause?

I set up a beneficiary account in my online BP account using the new phone numbers.  Will that work?  So far no “amount due” has shown up like in my cable/internet account.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

I use Santa Cruz's online platform to pay Claro, Altice and EdeNorte.  At least with Santa Cruz, once you create the payee, you can only pay them once they receive the bill from the supplier.  If no amount is showing up when you try to pay, the invoice hasn't been generated yet.  I tried to pay Altice early, it was not possible until the invoice was created on the exact day it was supposed to.  As a plus, my Edenorte paper bill is due the 5th of the month, but I rarely receive the paper invoice until the very end of the month.  So at least I can pay online, and no guesswork.  I imagine it's the same with Popular?

Like UncleBuck, we use Banco Santa Cruz's platform to pay Claro. I'm not sure what the Banco Popular app/website is like, but in BSC, I go through "Services" rather than transfers. Under services, I set up the payments using our cell phone numbers and now I just have to click on the saved "services" for my phone and Dave's and it tells me the balance due and I pay it. Services has a bunch of common payees set up, but so far, I've only used for Claro and Luz y Fuerza (our electric provider in Las Terrenas).

Thanks all!  I'll know after midnight tonight if my BP setup works!

Banco popular is pretty much the same, until a bill is generated you can't pay it.

Tripp789 wrote:

Hi all,
I've attempted several times to get my Banco debit card signed up to pay for the service. So far it hasn't worked. Also tried my USA MC and no joy.

We recently got our cédulas, but our bank account is still under my passport. Not sure if that is the cause?

I set up a beneficiary account in my online BP account using the new phone numbers.  Will that work?  So far no “amount due” has shown up like in my cable/internet account.

I have a friend that he could configure his payments to Claro Prepaid without problem,

Make sure you donwloaded Claro Dominicana App .

As Planner said, using the IB from BPD also works and let you pay from your Credit Card or Saving accts.  I have registred the services as backup in case the apps are not workings

You can pay phone and utility bills with Xoom although it's a bit tricky sometimes and there's a fee of 2 or 3 US dollars.

Tripp789 wrote:

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I tried adding my santa cruz debit card to the Claro app to pay my bills and got a message that the card was not approved and to call customer service.

I called Claro this morning and they told me they are having issues adding cards to their system and to check back in a few days. So it might not be just you.

If you want to pay by credit card through the Claro app, you have to validate your credit card after you add it. I don't recall the exact process, because it's been a while, but they sent a .01 hold to my card with a 4 digit code in the memo. I had to log in to my credit card account to find the pending transaction and the code to finalize the addition of the card for payment.

I am having a similar issue with Claro.  I am trying to pay my bill by adding an USA credit card.  The credit card bank immediately showed the hold of 0.01 with the four digit code that I then have to enter into the claro app, but the app shows that the credit card it still pending.  I gave it three days (as stated on the app) and to no avail.  I called Claro  (now on day six) and they are perplexed, LOL.  they are "working on it."  I just want to pay my bill.

How do individuals who - say live part time in DR pay any bills - or individuals like myself, who do not have a Dominican bank but utilize things such as cell service?

I tried adding 2 of my american cc to the Claro app and could not get the option to enter the 4 digit code to show up on the claro app. I called the second time it happened and they created a ticket and said they were going to follow up, it went no where.

Now that I got a DR bank with a card I tried adding it and it's not working either. I'm hoping that it's a system wide issue because honestly, you can't expect customer service to fix anything, at any level, unfortunately, that's how it is in this country, even with what is supposed to be a massive telecom like Claro.

If this doesn't work I will go into the store, might have better luck standing right in front of the person, although the chances of being brushed off are just as high imo.

I hear you.  When I called- I asked if I could pay it over the phone-  of course not- I was told-  their over the phone system is  not equipped to handle foreign credit cards.  A country with so many tourists- and foreigners  living here !!!

I would suggest finding a Claro service center if you are going to go in somewhere. Most of the Claro locations are licensed agents and are limited in what they can do. Here in Las Terrenas, there is a Claro agent on every block, but when I had cable/internet equipment to return when we sold our apartment, I had to go to Nagua to a Claro Service Center.

In Punta Cana, it looks like the one in Downtown Mall is a Customer Service Center.

Cell phone apps and phones get outdated too quickly often rendering the app unusable or glitchy if you are using an older phone.  You can use a windows computer to pay your Claro invoice online.  Create an account "Mi Claro" and add the services you want to pay online.  I have used several different Canadian credit cards, always works for me...

https://miclaro.claro.com.do/#/login

Will give it a try. Thnx.

Not sure about the problem with Claro. I have the Claro app on my cell. It shows my balance due for phone data and home wifi, but won't allow me to register with my passport or cedula to make payments through the App. I physically go into the local Claro store monthly to pay.  Let us know how paying via BHD works out for you. I have the same bank but have been leary of paying that way. I worry their system won't record the payment and my services will get cut.

Hi , you know what I did when I bought the house here I went into my bank in New York and got a chase credit card with a $300 limit on it  and now I have auto pay at the water co.  , cable/internet co. , electricity co. , and my phone is T-mobile which lets you jump on to clarify when you land here the only place that doesn't accept it is for the garbage pick up and the reason for the $300 limit is Incase someone wants to steal the # this is to put peace of mind that everything is paid each month

i have the same issue with.my claro but my wife could pay hers on the app. she is dominican i  not lol
passport is not recognized so we go to office.
good thing is close by

@Tripp789 I had this same exact issue with my Banco BHD debit and credit card. Later, o opened an account with Banco Santa Cruz and uploaded that debit card worked.

Not sure about the problem with Claro. I have the Claro app on my cell. It shows my balance due for phone data and home wifi, but won't allow me to register with my passport or cedula to make payments through the App. I physically go into the ... - @Darkremy

I physically went to the Claro headquarters in Sto Dgo. I was told that I can only use the app to pay with a Dominican credit card or debit. It is not set up to accept foreign banks because it is a local bank app.  Otherwise,  go to your local claro to pay AND they do take ANY credit card or debit card.  

I will be opening a digital bank account only- I am not happy with how Dominican banks charge to keep my money.  So a digital account does not charge- I'll use it  to only pay local bills. 

I went to Banco Santa Cruz this morning to tried to set up online banking.  Had tried many times at their website with only error messages.  They said that my email was with "yahoo", and their system does not work with yahoo.  Must be gmail or something else.  Many probably do not know this.  Back tomorrow with gmail account.

I went to Banco Santa Cruz this morning to tried to set up online banking.  Had tried many times at their website with only error messages.  They said that my email was with "yahoo", and their system does not work with ... - @sberger50

Oh goodness 1f914.svg!!!   Thank you for letting us know.  

I went to Banco Santa Cruz this morning to tried to set up online banking.  Had tried many times at their website with only error messages.  They said that my email was with "yahoo", and their system does not work with ... - @sberger50

We are with Santa Cruz, and have a Yahoo account, and zero problems with online banking.  I'm no tech genius, but email address and online banking really don't have anything to do with each other, except for sending you confirmations of transactions.  I think it's another stalling tactic, because they really don't know what the true issue is.

I agree there is some other issue and rather than fixing it, they are making stuff up! 

I'm with BHD, notification, online banking and bill pay all work without any complications. 

Like Uncle Buck, we also use a Yahoo account with our BSC online banking with no issues.

@Darkremy what is BHP

@Darkremy what is BHP

- @K Johnson III
 BHD - is Banco BHD Leon