Legalization of Documents for Marriage

I had all the required marriage documents completed, notarized, apostilled and legalized and back in March of 2020 and was all set to enter VN for marriage till the borders closed. So I was told by the Embassy in DC in regards to the my paperwork that:

A) The legalization of documents are valid indefinitely However you may need to check the validity of your single status certificate as in many cases it is only valid for 6 months within time of issuance.
B) If the certificate is issued by the State, you do not need to get it further legalized.

So I had the understanding all I need to do is get the single status cert. renewed from the state ($100 btw). And nothing else needs to be sent or approved by the embassy.

So I called the embassy today to double check my understanding and I spoke to someone who sounded new because she had to check with someone and call me back with the answer. She calls me back after texting her a copy of my doc and says all my paperwork needs to be renewed for legalization at the embassy. This is about a $500 charge which I already paid 2 years ago along with a paid visa I was never able to use.

Any experts in this matter?
Perhaps Ciambella has an opinion?

Thanks much

MikeTVN wrote:

I had all the required marriage documents completed, notarized, apostilled and legalized and back in March of 2020 and was all set to enter VN for marriage till the borders closed. So I was told by the Embassy in DC in regards to the my paperwork that:

A) The legalization of documents are valid indefinitely However you may need to check the validity of your single status certificate as in many cases it is only valid for 6 months within time of issuance.
B) If the certificate is issued by the State, you do not need to get it further legalized.

So I had the understanding all I need to do is get the single status cert. renewed from the state ($100 btw). And nothing else needs to be sent or approved by the embassy.

So I called the embassy today to double check my understanding and I spoke to someone who sounded new because she had to check with someone and call me back with the answer. She calls me back after texting her a copy of my doc and says all my paperwork needs to be renewed for legalization at the embassy. This is about a $500 charge which I already paid 2 years ago along with a paid visa I was never able to use.

Thanks much

Not sure why you are having to do all this. When I got married I had a Certificate of non- impediment(single certificate)  a police check and a certified copy of my passport. Total cost of around 100 aud.

colinoscapee wrote:

Not sure why you are having to do all this. When I got married I had a Certificate of non- impediment(single certificate)  a police check and a certified copy of my passport. Total cost of around 100 aud.

Thanks Colin
I was going by this and what the embassy in DC has told me by phone and email:
https://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular … gistration

Mike...I've got to laugh...sorry...Living in the US and paying all those expenses for nothing.  Generally, most documents are only good for 6 months, even here in Vietnam.  Your USA certifications should be good forever.  If you were to be here in DaNang or Saigon, the cost to you for Vietnamese certification is very small.  Even if your 'American docs are older than 6 months, a recertification by Vietnamese with the Original will need to be again certified in Vietnamese...cost was about 50,000 VND.  The 'certificate for being single' was free at the US Consulate in Saigon.  Translations from English to Vietnamese w/certification has usually cost me less than $12.00.  Even the marriage paperwork is/was only about 1 million Vietnam Dong and about 10 days. Really sorry to hear such a problem with paperwork.  I've lived here nearly 20 years and I hear this happen all the time from US, AUS, and UK individuals.  I've never had a problem with any of my documents since I've lived here and on my 4th Temp Residence Card (TRC).  The problem in Vietnam is there are so many different rules and untold ways of things being done.  I've found living in DaNang I do not have to put up with such BS...it doesn't happen to me here; and no 'coffee money' for such either.
Good luck

Anthony Stephen wrote:

Mike...I've got to laugh...sorry...Living in the US and paying all those expenses for nothing.  Generally, most documents are only good for 6 months, even here in Vietnam.  Your USA certifications should be good forever.  If you were to be here in DaNang or Saigon, the cost to you for Vietnamese certification is very small.  Even if your 'American docs are older than 6 months, a recertification by Vietnamese with the Original will need to be again certified in Vietnamese...cost was about 50,000 VND.  The 'certificate for being single' was free at the US Consulate in Saigon.  Translations from English to Vietnamese w/certification has usually cost me less than $12.00.  Even the marriage paperwork is/was only about 1 million Vietnam Dong and about 10 days. Really sorry to hear such a problem with paperwork.  I've lived here nearly 20 years and I hear this happen all the time from US, AUS, and UK individuals.  I've never had a problem with any of my documents since I've lived here and on my 4th Temp Residence Card (TRC).  The problem in Vietnam is there are so many different rules and untold ways of things being done.  I've found living in DaNang I do not have to put up with such BS...it doesn't happen to me here; and no 'coffee money' for such either.
Good luck

Hey thanks Anthony. Sounds like I should just leave the paperwork as is and if it needs to be updated to get it done there.

Your welcome.  You did not mention where your future half is from...there are also possible problems with that as well from local areas...She should also have a good sense of what and where to go for proper docs.  Seriously, I've never had a problem here in DaNang...Good luck.

Anthony Stephen wrote:

Your welcome.  You did not mention where your future half is from...there are also possible problems with that as well from local areas...She should also have a good sense of what and where to go for proper docs.  Seriously, I've never had a problem here in DaNang...Good luck.

Dong Hoi

I defiantly agree with the idea of getting everything done here in Vietnam. When I married my wife back in 2016 we had no problems but then she has her BA in accounting and has worked as Chief Accountant for an international company  so she fills out forms for various things all the time and knows how to "work the system."
Good luck to you and your future wife.

drutter wrote:

Good luck to you and your future wife.

Thank you

MikeTVN wrote:

Thanks much

Hi Mike,  If you don't mind.... Can you give me the number that you used and was able to get through? Vietnam Embassy in DC? I have tried every number that they listed on their website and no luck... Ring after ring.  I did went to the Embassy before and most of them are very clueless and don't really know the process.  I would wait and check with their supervisor or someone that know the process before paying your fee again.  As I said... Most of them are clueless and they are there not because of their expertise but because of their family connection.

Can I shout it again from the rooftops?   Stay away from the embassy in DC.  Use the consulate in San Francisco.

THIGV wrote:

Can I shout it again from the rooftops?   Stay away from the embassy in DC.  Use the consulate in San Francisco.

Glad you shouted it again. First I heard. I will call San Fran. Thanks.
Rahj_Devon that should answer you as well. Thanks THIGV

THIGV wrote:

Wow I just spoke to folks in SF and boy are you correct THIGV. You can actually have a conversation including some humor. Terrific. Thanks again.
It's still going to cost me some money ($350) but I least I know it's the correct path.

MikeTVN wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Wow I just spoke to folks in SF and boy are you correct THIGV. You can actually have a conversation including some humor. Terrific. Thanks again.
It's still going to cost me some money ($350) but I least I know it's the correct path.

What are they charging you 350$ for

colinoscapee wrote:
MikeTVN wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Sounds expensive to me, anything I needed legazlied in the UK including the aspotile was around 90USD at exchange rate back in 2018

colinoscapee wrote:
MikeTVN wrote:
THIGV wrote:

$350 For the Legalizing the paper work. I also have to pay the state to do the apostille work and shipping which will be at least another $70 or so. I'm not happy about it especially since I already paid about $500 to have this done two years ago on the same paperwork that got expired due to covid.

MikeTVN wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
MikeTVN wrote:

$350 For the Legalizing the paper work. I also have to pay the state to do the apostille work and shipping which will be at least another $70 or so. I'm not happy about it especially since I already paid about $500 to have this done two years ago on the same paperwork that got expired due to covid.

What are you legalizing?
As I stated before, all I had was the singles certificate and verified copy of my passport. You seem to be doing a lot of stuff that's not required.

Do a search online regarding marriage here, its a simple process. I would wait till you arrive and do the paperwork here.

[link under review]

Colinscapee
"Not sure why you are having to do all this. When I got married I had a Certificate of non- impediment(single certificate)  a police check and a certified copy of my passport. Total cost of around 100 aud."

Colin, I'm going by this written list by the SF consulate, the DC embassy has the same list with one less doc required.
SF:
https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/vi/2017 … -doc-than/
DC:
https://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular … gistration

Perhaps being a US citizen the requirements are different? Not Sure.
You also mentioned a police  check. Done in your home country? I don't know of any service like that in the US. And that's not mentioned via either embassy. The single status is covered by #2, #3 and # 6 on the SF list.  And each document needs to be 1) notorized (local) 2) opostilled (state) 3) legalized (embassy) which is translated in Vietnamese and red stamped. Your process sure sounds way simpler but I've been waiting two years and want to be sure I have what I need when I get there.

LEGALIZATION OF DOCUMENTS FOR MARRIAGE WITH VIETNAMESE CITIZENS IN VIETNAM

A U. S. resident, seeking to get married in Vietnam, may submit in person or by mail documents for marriage registration to the Consulate General for legalization and translation before bringing them to Vietnam for Application at Department of Justice at Provincial Authorities.

I. A Regular Dossier to be authenticated at the Consulate includes:

1. Application for Marriage Registration in Viet Nam

2. Affidavit of Single Status
3. Certificate of No-Marriage Records issued by State or County Authorities (Vital Statistics Office, Department of Health, State Registrar …) within the last six months, certifying that no marriage license or marriage record of the applicant has been found from his/her mature age of marriage (age of 18 for female and 20 for male) or since his/her divorce up to the present or since his/her spouse' death up to present.

4. Certificate of Good Mental Health issued by an authorized medical institution, confirming that the applicant has no mental illnesses, or mentally sound for marriage, and is fully conscious of his/her own actions.

5. Biographic Information Sheet

6.Statement of Non-Impedement to Marriage
7. Certified photocopy of the Infomation pages of the Passport

NOTE: Before being sent to the Consulate for legalization, the above-mentioned documents (# 1,2,4,5,6 and 7) must be certified by a Notary Public or equivalent public authorities (document # 3 is regularly issued by the Registrar or Court ‘s Clerk) and the signatures of the Notary Public and Registrar or Court's Clerk must be certified/authenticated/apostilled by the State Department (or its Office of Authentication) of the State/Secretary of State where the applicant resides or where the Notary Public is lisensed. The Consulate can certify only the signatures of the State-level Secretary of State.

II. Divorced and Widowed Applicants: In addition to the 6 above-listed documents:

– Divorcees are required to submit an Authenticated Judgment of Divorce (Notarized/Certified and Authenticated by Secretary of State);

– Widows are to submit a Authenticated Copy of the Death Certificate of his/her deceased spouse (Notarized/Certified and Authenticated by Secretary of State).

III. Power of Attorney for Submission of Application:

The non-Vietnamese party can, with a Power of Attorney , entrust his/her fiancé(e) to submit the application package. The power of attorney is required to be authenticated by the Consulate after it has been certified by (1) Notary Public, and (2) the State-level Secretary of State.

If all the documents are notarized by ONE Notary Public, it is requested that only ONE authentication of Secretary of State is needed for all his/her signatures.

IV. Fees: can be paid by MONEY ORDERS / CASHIER'S CHECKS  to THE  VIET NAM CONSULATE.

V. Turn-around of Documents:

1. You can submit the document by mail or in-person (1700 California Street, Suite 580, San Francisco, CA 94109).

– Regular turn-around time is 3-5 business days. Please retain the receipt to pick the documents up in-person at the Consulate.

– Self-stamped and addressed return envelope (if applicants want to receive visa by mail).  To avoid losses during delivery, it is advised to use certified mail of  FEDEX / USPS / UPS  with tracking number for your easy tracking.  The Consulate General shall not be responsible for any missing documents due to your choice of using uncertified mails (FEDEX Ground and UPS Ground are considered as uncertified mails).

2. You also have an option to request for same-day processing of your documents. Extra fees will be applied for such request. Regular waiting time would be about 1 hour (depending on the complicity of the documents).

@ For further information, please contact the Legalization Section, Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco, at:

Address: 1700 California Street, Suite 580, San Francisco, CA 94109
    Business hours: 8.30 am – 12.00pm and 2.30pm – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. The Consulate General is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and during Viet Nam and United States holidays.
    Telephone: +1 415 922 1707 ;  415 922 0707;  415 922 1238 ;
    Fax: +1 415 922 1757
    Email: [email protected]

@ To track your package, please contact Mail-in or Mail-out Section ( Morning only) :

Telephone: +1 415 922 1707 ;  415 922 0707  415 922 1238 ;

One thing here is that each provence has its own way of doing things. Some ask for a medical checkup, some dont. If I were you I would ask your wife-to-be to contact the Peoples Committee that she will be lodging the paperwork and ask exactly what they require.

My experience is the same a Colin's in that I did not need all the documents on the list.   We married in Ben Tre and the official who was going through the documents actually said that he did not need two of them and literally threw them in the wastebasket.   :o    I wish I could remember which they were but if you bring everything on the SF Consulate's list, you should be fine.  The police check as far as I know is needed for a work permit but not for marriage.   Colin:   Could it be that the officials wanted a local police check because you had already been in the country for a while?

THIGV wrote:

My experience is the same a Colin's in that I did not need all the documents on the list.   We married in Ben Tre and the official who was going through the documents actually said that he did not need two of them and literally threw them in the wastebasket.   :o    I wish I could remember which they were but if you bring everything on the SF Consulate's list, you should be fine.  The police check as far as I know is needed for a work permit but not for marriage.   Colin:   Could it be that the officials wanted a local police check because you had already been in the country for a while?

Thigv, could have been. At that time I had been living in Viet Nam for 7 years.

I will heed your advise guys. Thanks much colinoscapee, THIGV

THIGV wrote:

This guidance from the US Embassy in Hanoi doesn't mention a police check, though it does emphasize that requirements may vary from place to place:

vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/marriage/

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:

This guidance from the US Embassy in Hanoi doesn't mention a police check, though it does emphasize that requirements may vary from place to place:

Himmmmm this sounds like it can all be done there. And have the U.S. vital statistics office letter just in case. Thanks OceanBeach92107

MikeTVN wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Himmmmm this sounds like it can all be done there. And have the U.S. vital statistics office letter just in case. Thanks OceanBeach92107

There are many reports of people having done just that.

But to clarify, it is the vital statistics office of the State where you reside, not the US vital statistics office.

From the stories I've read posted in this forum, the biggest problems for foreigners already physically in Vietnam have been 1. obtaining the properly certified copy of a divorce decree or spousal death certificate while they remain in Vietnam and 2. obtaining a properly certified vital statistics report from their home state's Secretary of State office through the mail from Vietnam.

It's definitely not a legal requirement to go through the embassy or consulate of Vietnam in the United States, but if you do so and you get their official certification of your documents, that's obviously a type of insurance that you won't need to backtrack once you get to Vietnam.

As my girlfriend says so often:

"Up to you"

:D

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

There are many reports of people having done just that.

But to clarify, it is the vital statistics office of the State where you reside, not the US vital statistics office.

From the stories I've read posted in this forum, the biggest problems for foreigners already physically in Vietnam have been 1. obtaining the properly certified copy of a divorce decree or spousal death certificate while they remain in Vietnam and 2. obtaining a properly certified vital statistics report from their home state's Secretary of State office through the mail from Vietnam.

It's definitely not a legal requirement to go through the embassy or consulate of Vietnam in the United States, but if you do so and you get their official certification of your documents, that's obviously a type of insurance that you won't need to backtrack once you get to Vietnam.

As my girlfriend says so often:

"Up to you"

:D

Great. My divorce papers are already red stamped from two years ago and state vital statistics report which is on it's way back from the state now.

I assume registered means (red stamped) at the embassy?
"Marriages in Vietnam must be registered within 15 days of the date the District Justice Office receives a complete marriage application. Cases which require police verification are eligible for a 10-day extension."

And the 'up to you' is very common here as well  :D

MikeTVN wrote:

"Marriages in Vietnam must be registered within 15 days of the date the District Justice Office receives a complete marriage application. Cases which require police verification are eligible for a 10-day extension."

No, because earlier on that same webpage it says that there is no requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy.

I'm pretty sure this is something similar to what's done in most jurisdictions in the United States:

You submit your application for a marriage "license"/approval/permission to the District Justice Office, and then later, after the marriage ceremony has actually been accomplished (within 15 days, unless you were also required to have a local/Vietnam police check completed), you return to that office and register the actual marriage.

If I don't have this right, someone please correct me.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
MikeTVN wrote:

No, because earlier on that same webpage it says that there is no requirement to register your marriage at the US Embassy.

I'm pretty sure this is something similar to what's done in most jurisdictions in the United States:

You submit your application for a marriage "license"/approval/permission to the District Justice Office, and then later, after the marriage ceremony has actually been accomplished (within 15 days, unless you were also required to have a local/Vietnam police check completed), you return to that office and register the actual marriage.

If I don't have this right, someone please correct me.

Basically you have it but my experience was slightly different.   You submit all our documents and go through them with a junior official.  Then Vietnam, wisely I might say, subjects you to a 15 day cooling off period.  You are then called in to a ceremonial signing of the original marriage documents.  We were ushered into a huge meeting room with high ceilings and tall curtained windows and a magnificent hardwood conference table.  We were met by the head of the Justice Dept. for the city and together he and we signed off on the documents.   This is the original certificate (Bản chính) and is embossed in color.  It is only after you sign these papers that you are legally married.  You get two such originals.  Take great care to not loose them as they can't be replaced.   You can get copies (Bản sao) in black and white in a few days after all is recorded.  I would recommend that you get multiple copies of these.   This is  especially true if you will be living apart from the town where you were married, or if you might be leaving the country, even if that is not your current intention.  Getting copies remotely could be difficult.

We were married in the Department of Justice in Ben Tre and I believe this function has been shifted everywhere to the local People's Committee HQ (UBND) but the procedures likely remain similar.

Thanks guys for this invaluable information.
My girl did speak to the district office and the list pretty well matches up with the list from SF consulate. Now he did say he wants all the docs red stamped in the US. And yes registered does mean at the district office. Phat from the SF consulate just called me and says I have to redo all my docs from scratch. I may even have to get my divorce papers dug up from the county, notarized and then all docs to the state for apostile work then to get legalized at the consulate. Technically speaking all the state really does is verify the signatures of the notaries, not apostiled. VN not being part of the Hague convention (if I have that correct) so they are not Apostiled. The district did say I can get the mental health cert there and does not need this whole US process.

What about the mental health certificate?
Police report, it is you native one or from Vietnam?

MikeTVN wrote:

Now he did say he wants all the docs red stamped in the US. And yes registered does mean at the district office. Phat from the SF consulate just called me and says I have to redo all my docs from scratch. I may even have to get my divorce papers dug up from the county, notarized and then all docs to the state for apostile work then to get legalized at the consulate.

Man, bummer on having to redo everything.  I was lucky when I got married that I was going back and forth every two months so I was able to dig up everything in one or two afternoons running around the city.  Doing it remotely would suck.   Best of luck.

RealPommy wrote:

What about the mental health certificate?
Police report, it is you native one or from Vietnam?

Most everyone does the mental health check within VN.  The spouse should know where or can find out easily enough. 

The police report is one that got laid onto Colin but it may have just been a local official being difficult.  It's not on the list of required documents and if you are told you need one, a local one should suffice.   If you have a work permit or are planning to get one soon, you also should have a home country one either in your possession or in your records at DOLISA.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Best of luck.

Thank You.

@MikeTVN

Your story is my story (more or less). Following various lists I found I pulled together the documents I needed as best as I could tell. It was clear that the cewrt of no marriage and my divorce cert needed to be authenticated at the secretary of state level when I requested copies. Easy and done.

But the variation between one list and the next worried me a bit so I searched for a more official source. That's when I found the embassy in DC website. And their list of documents state ALL must be notarized, and then certified at the state level and then sent to the embassy.

Besides the cert of no marriage and the divorce cert do any of the other documents actually need to notarized, certified and legalized? I fly to Vietnam April 14 so the time I have to ship documents all over is rapidly shrinking.

Is it OK to ask the following questions here? Or should I start a new thread? 

Opinions about these documents listed on the embassy website:

1. Marriage application - If we fill this out there and sign it in front of an official isn't that good? What is a notary adding to the process?

2. Affidavit of Singleness - Printed from the embassy website. You swear you are single. Seems unnecessary when I already paid for a document search proving I am single form an authorized and authenticated source.

3. Cert of good mental health - I had my doctor fill out the mental health form printed from the embassy web site. I also had her include the test results from my last physical which included a large set of blood work. I did this because my fiance is in Vung Tau and they had her do a bunch of medical tests but didn't do anything in regard to mental fitness. So again, what is the notary validating on either of these forms and is it necessary?

4 Biographic Info sheet - Printed from embassy web site. Please tell me this isn't needed? They give 3 lines to list everywhere I have lived since I was 15.  I've in over 30 places and barely recall my last address. They want my ex-wife's current address? I don't know it and don't care to ask. This whole form is so bad I don't have words to express my rage.

5 Certified copy of passport - I did make a copy of this and had it notarized but haven't sent it to the state secretary. is this only needed if I was sending everything to my fiance  in Vietnam and was not going  myself. The wording of the instructions sounds like it makes that assumptions. But since I am going, and can show the official my passport, is this certified copy still necessary? 

Thank you. I wish I had found this thread sooner. I'm at my whits end.

-Gary