New members of the Sweden forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Sweden forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Sweden if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello,

My husband works for a company who would like him to move to Sweden for 1-2 years. Of course his family would be coming along (that would be my daughter and myself). Our application to MV was sent 22 November of last year. An agency contracted by my husband's company was taking care of the process, but unfortunately they did not think to ask for all infos from us.
Therefore, as MV wanted more info (and even though we submitted the required extra documentation immediately once we were made aware), we were bumped off of the "fast track" and are now waiting indefinitely for an answer. We sold our house asap in preparation for the move as instructed by the contracted agency, and are now living in a hotel, unfortunately, as we sit here in limbo.
I am here to gain what knowledge and insight I can into all necessary processes and to learn more in general.

Hey, I have been back and forth to Sweden the last 7 years but finally moved over to Sweden from Ireland in June 2021. I live between Gothenburg during the week for work and Smögen on the weekeds with my family.
I work for a minning/chemical company in the city and enjoy all kinda of fishing and football.
I lived in France, England and Spain for the best part of 10 years so enjoy meeting new people - thought I am still a little new to Gothenburg.

Thank you all for the worm welcome.

I am keith kedrace afemale  ugandan adult currently working in Saudi Arabia
Hello my name is Owen.

I am interested in moving to Gothenburg and have given myself the challenge of attempting to move out of the US before the end of the year.

Currently living in Seattle, I am 31, recently divorced and looking for a fresh start in another part of the world. I went to school for Graphic Design and looking to further myself in the field while keeping my options available and open.

I got the opportunity to go to Sweden about a month ago and fell in love with the country. I've done alot of research so far and have begun studying Swedish to the best of my ability.

At the moment my biggest challenge is finding a job that will be willing to support my relocation to Sweden. Ideally I'd like to be there in the Fall but am prepared if things dont go exactly as I would like.

I wish the best for you ,I just started doing research and found my relatives may not be Swedish but from Finland so now I need to see if they were born in Finland and became citizens in Sweden and raised in Sweden then came to USA by way of Sweden but they census Bureau list them as Finnish very confusing last name is Swedish one family has a first name Sjerholm looks Swedish but could be Nordic as well what a mystery I wish you the best my new friend please stay in touch .
@Julien

Hello 👋🏻 I was initially looking for long lost friends natives of Sweden but decided to start a small business or two in Sweden and plan to visit and lay down the ground work to move there in the middle of all this , I started a family tree I knew a Swedish married a Scottish here in the u.s. but am very confused it appears based on last name the Swedish relatives that moved here clearly have Swedish last names even one definitely has a Swedish first name Sjerholm however the u.s. has listed them as being Finnish and speaking tongue Finnish  so now I'm confused. I did hear one day from somebody from family on the east coast as I'm on  the west coast that the relatives lived in a area long claimed by both countries a grey area of territory ownership can it be possible both sides declared them their citizens ? Or they have dual citizenship because where they lived ? 🤔🤨🧐
Hello folks !

I am a French researcher in biology and I recently got a job at Stockholm for at least two years from the beginning of November to study microorganisms degrading petroleum oil wastes :)

Cheers!
Hi freinds over there
Aim originally from Philippines currently living here at Iraq kurdistan, I and my freind are looking a job in sweden as chef and helper anyone can help us how we can move to Sweden. I really appriciete all your effort to help us. Thanks.
Which company can we apply?
Greetings to everone,

My name is Arthur.

I am a fairly longtime 'Swedophile' if that is the correct noun. If not then please do feel free to correct me.

My interest in Sweden begins over forty years ago when visiting their Westerley neighbour as a member of the UK forces. I promise I behaved myslef.

Life got rather busy from then on and it was some thirty years onward that I was finally able to indulge my desires for Swedish TV Police Dramas and the Swedish language in particular. I enjoy learning foreign languages - even if it is only a few words for a brief holiday. However I discovered that watching episodes of Wallander etc piqued my interest and correspondingly my motivation to learn Swedish, the people, the culture.

I have completed some twelve lessons of Pimsleur Swedish One and believe that I can now ask for directions, tell the time and order Smorgasbord (and a couple of beers) with confidence. Who knows where that might take me - I shudder to think.

My wife and I are getting on in years. I am sixty nine - wifey seventy something....

I want to live in a country that is reasonably safe.

That offers a reasonable standard of basic healthcare (note - basic healthcare) via the state system (we are actually a retired physician - A&E + Anaesthetics (and way, way back surgery i.e. 35 years) - (me) and Obstetrician /Gynaecologist/ GP - (my wife).

Apart from that - reasonable public transport  for a viaguely fair price. I can drive but prefer not to - the UK is full of smacked off their face on something boy racers which can be rather disconcerting to an old bloke in a 600cc Smart Car simply going to Sainsburys for cat food.

These are the things that matter most.

Contarary to what the UK press report - We have little money although we do own a small property in the Sourthern UK (quick guestimate of value £300,000 ) and my wife another (pile of bricks) in rural Bulgaria.  We have no outstanding debts beyond the regular utlity bills for gas, electric and water that are always paid within a few days.

However, we would be looking to move to an area of Sweden where property is cheap - even of it is rural and obviously many of the cost of living expenses may be greater than those in the UK.

If I could visit a local supermarket for groceries without being mugged (for the sheer hell of the perpertraters - I would be very happy. Unfortunatly, where we currently live it happens and to me.

There was a  house in rural Sweden on eBay a few months ago that looked interesting for £30,000. Unfortunately, despite it not selling the vendors disappeared into the ether after the listing closed.

A great shame as we were interested - to view with a strong possibilty to purchase.

Unfortunately, it has never been relisted.

In the meantime I continue with my Swedish language studies and learning the cultural aspects of Swedish life.

We do have five cats who would accompany us - (four are street cats from Cyprus but fully vaccinated and obviously not averse to air travel,  Immigration and / or customs and have up to date Pet Passports etc).

I view this as a process over the course of a couple of years - not a deal that must be struck by next Friday.

Any ideas of suitable areas in Sweden to seek reasonably priced, rural property etc ?

I would like within about 10 - 15  Kilometre of a supermarket / small town.

Internet access would be essential - although speed is not so critical.

A GP / Pharmacy would be nice as we are taking a couple of regular medications. Nothing exotic - painkillers for me, blood pressure meds for her. Happy to pay for GP consultation(s), pharmacy and medication- if necessary.

We only need a small property, apartment is OK although wife would prefer a house (cats are all indoor cats) and most of all needs to be (relatively) cheap. If rural - then so be it.

Our current house is little more than two box rooms with a lavatory and very basic kitchen - but it is in the South of the UK and there is no mortgage. In bricks and morter terms that makes us wealthy. In practical terms maybe not although we do have a small amount of savings and investments

Anyway, thanks for reading,

Kindregards,

Arthur
Hi everyone, welcome to Expat.Com!

Hey Arthur, warm welcome to you!
Nice reading your intro...You indeed had a busy life!

To move forward more easily as you have many questions, may i request that you create a new topic on the Sweden forum and post your query. For example, to begin with, price of property would be a good start

Your post will benefit from more exposure and it will be easier for members to reach out..

All the best,
Bhavna
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to join an engineering consultancy in on of the Nordic countries or Switzerland.

I seek employment in structural design and have the most experience in bridges. I've looked on several jobs websites but even after filtering it's hard to find jobs solely to do with civil/structural engineering. I can only speak English and some jobs require fluency in English as well as the native language.

Does anyone have an advice on hunting for an engineering job abroad?

Thanks

Adam
Hi everyone,

I'm Joseph from Kenya, planning to move to Sweden in the next two months using the job seeker Visa. I've never been to Sweden before and would appreciate any assistance on how I would be able to move around swiftly and blend in with the culture.

Kind Regards.
Hi everyone,

I'm Joseph from Kenya, planning to move to Sweden in the next two months using the job seeker Visa. I've never been to Sweden before and would appreciate any assistance on how I would be able to move around swiftly and blend in with the culture.

Kind Regards.
- @JKungu

At the top of the page click on Discover, it has a heap of valuable information.

Good Luck

SimCityAT
Expat Team

@SimCityATThank you for the help. I'll check it out, and in the event, I need more assistance, I'll come back for more help.

@JKungu Hi there!

I'm Lasheen from india and am pretty much in the same boat as you.

I've sent my application to the Migration agency and am currently awaiting their decision.

It's been 15 days.

Have you completed the process and got the visa in hand? Or are you starting off with the application?

Hello Lim Iball,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

Please note that this thread is for presentation only.

If you want to discuss any topic, feel free to start a new thread on the Sweden forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi,

Thank you for the opportunity to find help through this forum.

I am living in Uppsala for 3 months as a student and will be departing back to PNG in 22 November 2022. I was hoping to find someone from PNG living in Sweden I can meet and get together whilst I am in here.

Appreciate any help you would offer.

Christopher

Hey everybody!

My name is Will, I'm originally from Gothenburg, but has for the last decade been an expat living in London, Hamburg and LA. After I got married to my soulmate (American) who I met while we were both performing on cruiseship, we decided that it was time to grow some roots in our lives. We applied and in January this year we got a positive decision for her residency here in Sweden! So we packed up our bags, and moved to a tiny little village on the east coast. Ever since we have met a lot of expats online moving back to Sweden, but also people wanting to become expats in Sweden with their Swedish partner in the process with immigration. So we decided to help people who wanted to take the leap, so guess I found myself to your corner of the internet to offer our help. If you are starting the process, in the middle of it or lost somewhere down the line, we would love to help and guide you. We have an FAQ on our website, articles around some of the central subjects and you can also book a free meeting with us to to have a chat about it (http//:[link moderated]). We are a non profit, so everything is free and supposed to be a plattform where people can find help to reunite with their loved ones in Sweden. Stay safe out there and look forward to take part in further conversations on this page! And remember, love conquers all 2665.svg

Hi,

My name is Valentine Ifeanyichukwu I'm from the South Eastern part of Nigeria. I'm a tradesman (electrical technician) and I want to move to Sweden to work but currently I don't have any leads, so that's why I'm here.

Hello Valentine,

Welcome on board !

We have a complete Guide with several articles on different aspected relation to moving to Sweden. I believe you should start by reading the Living in Sweden guide for expats to gather as much infos possible.

If you have any question, feel free to open your own thread on the Sweden forum so that we can guide you.

All the best,

Bhavna

Hey there,

My name is Steve, I am studying to be an electrician in England right now.   I will have C and G 2365 level 2 and 3 certificates when the course is completed and I would like to move to Sweden to live with my girlfriend. I have a beginner-intermediate understanding of the Swedish language.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for what visa to get or how to find jobs.

At the moment I am understanding that my best option would be a work visa, and I would need a company to initiate the visa process and sponsor me.  What would be best for me to go about finding a company to do this?

Any information will be very helpful!!

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board !

@Stevesumm, we have gathered as much information possible to simplify Expats understanding of visas and formalities and have created some useful articles in the Living in Sweden guide for expats. Feel free to read those articles.

All the best,

Bhavna

I Winsen Liripu from Papua New Guinea looking for fruit picking job in your country.

Hello liripuwinsen20389,

Welcome to expat.com!

It can be quite difficult to find a fruit picking job...

Kindly read the Living in Sweden guide for expats for more information regarding employment in Sweden.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello everyone!

My name is Euletha, and I'm glad I found this forum! Nice to be here. A little about me: I'm American, currently based in New Orleans, Louisiana, and have lived in San Diego, Paris, and NYC. I love languages and speak French fluently, some Spanish, and have also dabbled learning Swedish. I work in educational publishing, and have a few ongoing creative passion projects with photography and creative writing.

My love for Sweden began about 9 years ago when I lived in Malmo for 3 months. I have been back a few times, reconnecting with friends in Malmo, Helsingbord, and Stockholm.

My reason for joining the forum is to seek advice about temporarily relocating to Sweden. I will be renting a house (I'm friends with the owners--they'll be away for several months), and I plan on arriving in February 2023.

I'll start new threads to ask about specific questions I have, of course, but my questions are mostly about which visa to apply for with the situation described, whether or not I have to leave my current U.S.-based job, if I can freelance while there, etc.

Huge thanks to the expat team for putting together such great articles I've read so far. And many thanks for anyone who has any advice to offer in future threads!

Kind regards,

Euletha

Hello eulethaletitia,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for choosing this forum. You did a great job on the introduction part!

You said you were going to start a new thread to ask your questions, were you able to do that?

If you need help, please let us know.

Also, if you want to discuss different topics, feel free to open multiple threads. It is always best to discuss only one topic per thread. That way, it will be easier for you to gather information.

Have you read the Living in Sweden guide for expats yet? If not, I highly recommend it. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

my name is Abdou Diatta I live in Senegal Dakar I am a supervising technician in mechanics of heavy machinery equipment I work I work in a large company endeavor mining I wish to have a job in Sweden

Hello abdou diatta,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Since you are looking for a job, you should create your Cv here > Jobs in Sweden.

Also, you should read the Living in Sweden guide for expats.

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1013145

Thanks!

Closed