New members of the Brazil forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

I'm Michael (39), an expat from Germany living in Brazil now for around 3 years. My place is nearby Campinas (which itself is near Sao Paulo) and I'm working here in the industrial sector as engineer.

I signed for another 3years and the longer I stay, the more I like Brazil.

I had lot's of issures here with converting the drivers licence and how to tax foreign transactions on stock-markets incl. dividends.
If you have any questionshere, let me know. There is more know (and to use, it will pay off!!) then you would think.
Welcome, Michael P369
Keep in touch many will need advice.
Tex

@Julien Hi I am living in Portugal and have recently returned from Brazil. I intend to look into the retirement visa and plan an extended stay there, the last visit was my third in 3 years. I speak a good level of Portuguese and I am also an English teacher, I work with children and adults with dyslexia.  Many thanks for allowing me to join. I will post a question about the visa requirments in the visa section.

Welcome, Itoby955,
Ask and we will try to help.

@Texanbrazil Many thanks, I have posted the quetion on the visa page. I am a permanent resident of Portugal, my girlfriend lives in Brazil so the two year retirement visas sounds good, but will it affect my residencia in another country?  Thanks for any advice

@Michael P369 Hi Michael great you joined

Hi all. I am Vinu from India, living in Brasil for the last 5 years.
Came to know about this site for expats when i was searching for some information's on net.
Looking forward to know more about this forums.
08/17/22 Welcome, Vinu!  Your observations from five years of experience in Brazil will certainly be welcome and helpful.   And please join an existing thread or start a new one with any questions that you may have.
@ltoby955
It will not. It really is a visa. I still have a residence in the US

@abthree thanks for the guidance. I am still new here. Will try to study more about how this form works.

@Julien
Julien, thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself.
Hello, my name is Francisco, I am from Ecuador and I am planning to go to Rio in October.  I have residency and work permit in Brazil, and at the moment I am doing o reconhecimento de meu Mestrado em Ensino de Ingles como Lingua Estrangeira. I am fluent in English and Spanish.  Although I have been to Brazil on many occasions, this time I hope to stay there permanently, as my post degree is in the process of being approved.
I hope to meet interesting expat to have a chat over a cup of coffee.

Best regards,

Francisco

08/20/22 @franciscomera64 Welcome to Brazil, and to the forum!

There are many of us scattered around the country, but it's a big country!  Some are in Rio, and I hope that they'll reach out.  Meanwhile feel free to join an existing thread or to start a new one with any questions.

I hope that as you proceed with the process of getting your degree recognized, you'll post about the process, the roadblocks you run into, and successes you have.  This is a topic of interest to professionals who move to Brazil, and your experiences may well be helpful to others.

Again, welcome!
Hi All,

My name is Paul and I am from the US.  My wife is a Brazilian citizen and we have been married for 15 years and very near retirement from the airlines. We typically travel to Brazil twice a year to visit family in MG. We are in the process of relocating to Brazil and I have applied for permanent residency. The first part was easy and I have the visa pasted into my passport. Not sure about the PF process and interview.

Found out that the PF in our city will be processing permanent residence applications and interviews but will be just after my 90 days of first entrance to Brazil. I am hopeful that I don't have to start the whole process over again.

We will be living in Ipatinga, MG if all goes well. I enjoy the forum and the real information and comments.

Cheers,

Paul
Hi, Paul,
Try to extend your visa for the additional 90 days. If all else go to an airport.
Good luck and keep us informed on your situation.
Tex
I'd bet you can get this done at Tancredo.
Ipatinga is a neat town.  I got really lost there once.  The main road kinda skirts most of the town, so if you go off the main road you will never find it again on your own.  I finally had to rent a room for the night in order to get wifi connection in order to look at Google Earth, and to use GT to talk to anybody about where I was and how to get out of town......
@Texanbrazil

Thanks Texanbrazil. Happy to have found this forum. I am trying to find the correct answer on my FBI back round check. Do I have to have this apostilled and translated for the federal police. Looks like that was one of my hang ups for my last appointment. Not even sure if this is the correct criminal check they are requesting.

Thanks!
@Inubia

Hi Inubia,

Yes Ipatinga is spread out and lots of roundabouts to make you loose your sense of direction!  Looking forward to getting to the end of the permanent resident process. FP are opening an office in Ipatinga soon to process the applications. That's great news and hope they will be able to have a little "small town" hospitality.

Thanks for your reply.

Paul
08/23/22 Welcome, Paul - glad to have you!  👍
@Texanbrazil

Thanks Texanbrazil. Happy to have found this forum. I am trying to find the correct answer on my FBI back round check. Do I have to have this apostilled and translated for the federal police. Looks like that was one of my hang ups for my last appointment. Not even sure if this is the correct criminal check they are requesting.

Thanks!
- @Paul6611

The FBI offers two methods for requesting your FBI Identification Record or proof that a record does not exist:
The subject of an identification record may obtain a copy of that record by submitting a written request to the CJIS Division. The request must be accompanied by satisfactory proof of identity (consisting of name, date and place of birth, and a set of rolled-inked fingerprint impressions) and a certified check or money order for the current processing fee. The FBI will not provide copies of arrest records to individuals other than the subject of the record. Requests should be directed to the FBI CJIS Division, Attn: SCU, Mod. D-2, 1000 Custer Hollow Rd., Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306. If there is no criminal record, a report reflecting this fact is provided. See www.FBI.gov for current processing fees and further information, See also Identification Record Request and Guide for Obtaining Your FBI Identification Record; Submitting an Identification Record Request to the FBI.
The subject of an identification record may also submit a request through an FBI-approved channeler, which is a private business that has contracted with the FBI to receive fingerprint submissions and relevant data, collect the associated fee(s), electronically forward the fingerprint submissions with the necessary information to the FBI CJIS Division, and receive the electronic record check results for dissemination to the individual. See www.FBI.gov for the list of FBI-approved channelers.
An individual requiring an apostille or authenticated copy of his/her FBI Identification Record, or any non-U.S. national or permanent resident who wishes to request his/her FBI Identification Record must submit a request directly to the FBI CJIS Division. The U.S. Department of State Authentications Office may then place an apostille document for use in a country that is a party to the Hague Apostille Convention. For countries not a party to the Hague Apostille Convention, the U.S. Department of State Authentication Office will place a certification over the FBI seal.

Since Brazil is not a member of the Hague you can have authentication.
I would go to the FBI.gov site and look for an approved channeler. They can handle everything and even send it electronically to you.
Apologies, I used the older immigration law. Since Brazil is a party to the Hague:
Brazil is a member of the Hague you must have the FBI Report apostilled.
I would go to the FBI.gov site and look for an approved channeler. They can handle everything and even send it electronically to you.
Welcome Paul, bem vindo

@Julien I'm Ada, from West Africa, I'm a registered nurse in my country, hoping to join my husband in 3 months time, please how is nursing jobs in Brazil for a new immigrant like me

Hello Adaobi,

Welcome to expat.com!

In order to properly start your journey on expat.com, kindly give a brief presentation about yourself.1f609.svg

Tell us about you work, your interests etc...

Thanks,

Yoginee
Expat.com team

@Yoginee hi I'm Adaobi,I'm from West Africa Nigeria,I want to relocate to Brazil by marriage

I'm a registered Nurse in my country, please I will like to know how I can work as a nurse in Brazil

@Yoginee hi I'm Adaobi,I'm from West Africa Nigeria,I want to relocate to Brazil by marriage
I'm a registered Nurse in my country, please I will like to know how I can work as a nurse in Brazil
-@Adaobi Adigwe

Please look at your previous post  Adaobi. We need a little more information in order to assist you.

Below is one response.

"Welcome, Adaobi Adigwe,

Tell us a little more if you would.

Are you married and want to go to Brazil and be with your husband?

Are you wanting to visit Brazil and meet someone to possibly get married?

The immigration laws of Brazil are very different in each case.

Let us know what you are asking and we can try to assist you."

Hi everyone!!

We are looking for someone to work with us in an international company.

This person must speak Portuguese and English and live in Brasilia or Rio de Janeiro.

Please send me a message to discuss more details!

Hello, Chrysa,

Try posting your message on the "Jobs" forum above. This will help many rather than on the introduction site.

Welcome

Hello all,

A new member here to the Brazil forum. I keep trying to make a post but seem to be getting a client error message when trying to submit it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, any ideas please?

@TecoCherry

Hello,

What type of post are you trying?

Hi Texanbrazil,

I'm trying to post in the Brazil forum with a lengthy post containing a few questions about moving to Brazil. I didn't select a category as it said this was optional. When trying to submit the post it kept showing me a client error translate message with all of what I typed in a small red text underneath. I haven't translated anything so I'm not sure why it mentioned translation in the first place and had no such problems replying in this topic. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.1f605.svg

EDIT: Never mind, just posted it in the moving section!1f600.svg

09/23/22 Welcome, TecoCherry!  Yes, your post is appearing in a thread all its own. 👍🏻

Bom dia a todos,

I am from the San Francisco (CA) Bay Area. I intend to move to Brazil by the end of the year, and have chosen Niteroi, RJ, as a destination. I am hoping to kick-start a friend network and find resources and groups that can help with the transistion. Any help I can get from this site and forum will be greatly appreciated!

09/28/22  Welcome, ibdegen!  We're scattered all over the country, but we're here to help.

@ibdegen       Hi, Ibdegan, this is Manas, just joining and will post my background in a bit ... but saw your post, so wanted to quickly say I am also from your backyard, Oakland / Mountain View / Bay Area. I shuttle between there and Sao Paulo. We can chat on Whatsapp if you like, send me an invite +55-11-9-5046-8225.

Hi, all - this is Manas Kanungo, I like what I see in this group, just signed up! I have been living in Sao Paulo (SP) for over 2.5 yrs with my Brazilian wife. I am a US citizen, was born in India, have permanent visa / RNE for Brazil (and India). I am fluent in English, speak functional Portuguese and Hindi, understand some Spanish. Am semi-retired after 25+ years in marketing, new product development of medical device and diagnostic products (screening, testing for diseases and medical condtions) ... in fact I was an expat here before from '96 - '99, led a joint venture between Eli Lilly and Roche to launch the Advantage Glucose Meter system and Diabetes Awareness program. I have traveled in 50+ countries, love different cultures, beaches, mingling, art, dancing, music, museums,  etc. Currently freelancing for companies in my area to help them expand, grow, enter Brazil and other countries, developing strategies ... more details on my LinkedIn profile. Happy to help others if it is something I am able to.... so also have some questions:

Besides the Internations Group for expats, is there a Whatsapp Group for American expats in Brazil? Do they meet sometimes?

Also would like a referral to legal experts here (SP) in the area of ownership transfer of houses after we sell my wife's place here and move to another place.

Welcome aboard, Manas Kanungo.

Hopefully, someone in SP will help with a real estate lawyer in your area. As you know there are many avocados (as) which state they handle all areas, I found one in Curitiba that specialized in real property (retired now) from Itaipu and she said it is best to do your homework.

I have no knowledge of WhatsApp expat groups. After a while many here do use it to talk, There is also the PM available on expat.

Good luck and again welcome.

@Texanbrazil   Thanks! Also .... what is the best way to look for 1-2 week beach rentals within driving distance of Sao Paulo? Don't seem to be any listings on this site, even for regular rental or to purchase, some in SP city or Northeast.

There are no categories for "Legal" or "Real Estate" ....?

Hello Manasknew,

Please note that the new members thread is dedicated to the introduction of members. Should you need info, please proceed to the Brazil forum by starting a new topic.

If you are looking for professionals, you can browse the business directory : Brazil business directory

You can filter by town/region but we don't have all towns/regions.

Regards,

Bhavna

Hi,

New member here - currently in Texas, recently retired, and planning to move to Brazil in the next few months.  Wife is Brazilian and I have my Vitem XI.  We have also purchased 12 acres in Rio de Janeiro, near Marica.   So a bit further out from Niteroi towards Buzios (fyi, ibdegen).

In the process of figuring out what else is needed to finalize the visa at the Federal Police. Per the consulate here, I know I need to make an appointment for the protocol within 30 days.  Just trying to confirm what additional documents (and translated) I'll need for the PF. 

Closed