New members of the Brazil forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Brazil forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Brazil if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi all!

I'll be in Rio until March and am dying to meet some smart and fun folks for chats and coffee. I actually lived here as a kid but all contacts have long been lost. Which is a bit sad, hence, looking forward to making new connections!

Name is Barb, from London and Rome, digital nomad ish.

Of particular interest: people who write for TV/radio/film, spiritual seekers, those into psychology and mythology, DJs. I speak English, obviously, Italian and Portuguese, can give it a try with French but would be painful.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Barbara

Hi there my name is Nico. I've spent a fair amount of time in Brazil over the years and am investigating residency with my SO. Thanks!

Hi, moved to São Paulo 3 months ago. Loving the country. In spite of the warmth of people and the welcoming spirit, the pandemic has made meeting people and making friends challenging.

Looking forward to meeting other expats in the city.

Hello all,

I am Jacques living in Manchester UK.
I am in this forum as I have several business with business partner in Rio and Porto Alegre.
This forum is great to have different perspective and sharing experiences

@Julien 

Hello Julien, my name is Michael Fahey.  My wife Cristina is a Brazilian National and we are together 20 years.  I bought her (us)

a home outside of Belo Horizonte 13 years ago.  (Condominio Vale do Ouro, Ribeiro das Neves.  I had not been there in 3 years

due to family, business and Covid.  We live on Cape Cod USA the majority of the time, but like to spend 12-15 weeks in Brazil Summer

at our home in Minas.

04/03/22  Welcome, Michael!

Any questions, feel free to scan our existing threads, or to create a new one.

My brother lives on the Cape, too -- small world! 1f600.svg

@Julien
Hi thanks for the welcome!  I'm hoping to get some feedback about any beach towns as I contemplate moving.  I've been to Brazil many times, North and South, love it of course, and want guidance as to where to buy/rent.  Many thanks!
Good morning Julien,

I only know about the beach towns in São Paulo. There are quite a few beautiful places and I am including a website in English regarding the names of the top ten.
If you are looking for hot water and a more tropical climate than São Paulo... something like Hawaii try the beaches in the NorthEast... Natal, Recife... Salvador...

A little advice: I suggest renting a beach house for a while first to see if you really adapt or not. The beach towns in São Paulo for example are beautiful, but many of them are far from any major (or decent) hospitals. This could be a hindrance to a person with medical problems, or who needs ongoing treatment for example.
Brazil has many beautiful, exotic places that are just to die for, but the infrastructure is lacking by the way of hospitals, quality services and other necessary things.
Some beach towns are the exception such as Santos which has good hospitals and is close to the city of São Paulo, however, it is heavily populated and people have complained of the water pollution. I particularly speaking, like Santos.
Another little piece of advice: When going to a real estate agency, bring a Brazilian friend with you who you can trust. Lots of times foreigners get overcharged. It is illegal, but it is the norm here, not the exception. A Brazilian friend will fight down the price for you so you don´t get ripped off renting or buying. Also, most real estate agencies don´t speak fluent or even good English, thus the Brazilian friend comes in handy. I do simultaneous translation as a side job, so if you need that as well, I am here.
Best of luck.
Devorah
Languages4Brazilians
@Julien
Hi thanks for the welcome!  I'm hoping to get some feedback about any beach towns as I contemplate moving.  I've been to Brazil many times, North and South, love it of course, and want guidance as to where to buy/rent.  Many thanks!
- @mjgk
Good morning to you.  I agree with devorahmichaela.  I've been coming to Brazil for about 15-years, and yes, I am a Permanent Resident, car, apartments, etc. mostly living in SP and the SP beaches. I am currently doing my best to wear a car out driving inland for two months.

I suggest you make a list of what you need, the things that are important to you, such as medical, ease of access from an airport, or bus stations, seclusion/shopping, bigger cities, solitude, etc. For example, I still have to spend a lot of time in the USA, so airport access is very important to me. My apartment in downtown SP, is one block from the airport shuttle bus route.  For R$39, I have a bus every hour from GRU literally to my apartment. From GRU, I can take a bus straight to the beach where I stay a lot, Santos. I cannot store my car at the airport, so easy access to it is important to me. I work and teach in medicine. Although I am very healthy, I wanted to learn quickly where the better hospitals were, and how to get to them, doctors, labs etc. as one day, I will need them. My places are walking distance to stores for food as I don't want to have to drive to get a roll of bread or a cold beer.

And, I TOTALLY agree, rent first, try a few places, in different places, as Brazil is huge and quite diverse. Everyone has different tastes, climate, culture etc. Salvador and SP might as well be two different countries, on two different planets, they are that different. You cannot compare the weather in Fortaleza with Santa Catarina. I've found the people in one area to be quite prejudiced towards people from other areas too, affecting their opinions.  Again, as an example, most people in SP, can't stand the people in Rio and that seems to be equally true in reverse.

Good luck to you.  I love Brazil and know I could not learn enough about it during the rest of my life, but I am trying.   

@devorahmichaela

Thanks so much for the good advice Deborah!   
Much appreciated .
Hello members,

Please note that several posts have been moved as they were off-topic.

Cheers

Djameel
Expat.com Team
@Julien

Hi all.

My name is Donny, and I am from Indonesia. I arrived in Sao Paulo a week ago, and I'll be living here for the next three years. I'm looking for an expatriate community in Sao Paulo to help my family and me adjust the life in Sao Paulo as well as establish a new network. If you have information about such a community please let me know. Thank you.
05/16/22  Welcome, Donny! 1f600.svg

Thank you @abthree1f642.svg

HI my friends

I am from Somalia 🇸🇴 I would like to come in Brazil 🇧🇷 for tourism me and my wife but there is a problem about invitation letter so who can help us.
@Barb Felix

Script writers are mostly congregating in Media Capitals, such as Los Angeles or NYC.  That is where Series are produced and aired. Perhaps you have those in London, all those Shakespeare Co thespian....

Not a whole lot of creative talent in Brazil, only if you count the  ones who write for  insipid and bland Soap Operas.  Everything else is a transgression of good penmanship on their own language!  Media talking heads around here, and pretty much in America nowadays is all about yacking away nonsense.

I once met at once one aspiring screenwriter, on an overnight airport wait in LAX waiting on a layover flight that never came. I took my scheduled flight.

The dude and i spoke through the night to stave off sleep as we sat by an empty Airport Concourse.  Not an empty vessel by all accounts.

He was bound by a wheelchair and his father run a plumbing supply store in San Francisco at that time. So he went back and forth to LA for gigs, this going back before you could actually sit through your creative spells and fire it up through the web. 

BTW, I am based in Sao Paulo, so no chance of encounter.  Happy travails Brit Traveler. 

BTW, I dig Bald and Bankrupt.  That dude is media gold. 
@Tamtama

Not a whole lot of Indonesians out here.  As matter of fact, Southeast Asians are scarce, one in a million out here. 

Cling to your business and build your network around your business or trade. 

And Brazilians don't meant what they say and don't say what they meant.  For you, it means, do not take their word for what is worth.  OR don't expect a whole lot from them. 

If someone does it good for you, and delivers as promised, you know you have found gold. Keep those.  The rest, take with a grain of salt.
@Luunge

I don't mean to discourage you, but Africans as a whole do not get the same treatment as North Americans, Japanese, or Europeans upon arrival.

A lot of folks coming from and to Africa ( It matters little you are from North Africa, and that Addis Adeba is on the upside ) get "differential" treatment from the Brazilian Customs personnel upon arrival.  Brazilian Custom Agents are so brazen about this they air their seizures, and Africans fall to a specific category that gets aired a lot on seizures. Drug Seizures, there is  .

It means, you need to make sure you travel light, and no one touches your luggage, and that you have people waiting for you that can vouch on your behalf and speak the language. And your story, if taken for inquiries, makes sense.   

I  so happen to know Ethiopians, because they were a noticeable contingent of Ethiopian Expats ( and Eritrean ones ) living around Boston. Unlike Southern Africans, they are a quiet bunch, make no fuss, and are quite smart. The Ethiopian Women are keen to overspend on personal appearance, they used to run some serious tab on the hairdresser and cosmetics.  They are very self conscious of their own appearance and looks.

Best of luck .
Hello,

I am recently retired and looking to go to Brazil long term. I am trying to get information about details of living in Brazil. Thanks.
@jasonlovesdogs

There are some postings by members. in fact on the forum's first page there is a primer by one of our key contributors.

All really need to do  is to read the threads and you will garner sufficient information to make an informed decision.

Not an easy country for fair weather emigres, but rewarding for those who stick around. 

Tony Costa
Thanks!
@Julien

Hi all, my name is Jason and I'm looking to live in Brazil in about 18months. My wife Thallyta is Brazilian and I can now speak basic Portuguese. I've been to Brazil once before to meet her family after our marriage. I remember the churrasco being amazing and not realising a normal family size could be some 200 people. This was very different but an amazing atmosphere.

We are looking to live around Goiânia which is relatively near where Thallyta's family is based. So although my wife knows most things I'm still very green about life in Brazil. So I would like to use this site to understand day to day life better.

I love the feeling and style of live in Brazil and earn to go back. I have 3 weeks booked and I fly out next week. So looking forward to it. Again this will help me better understand Brazil. I will be looking at the type of jobs I could do I'm a qualified UK teacher and also I currently work in the financial services in the uk.

Well it will be nice to meet you all
Até mais.

Jason
06/07/22 Welcome, Jason.  Eighteen months is an excellent timeframe to prepare for a big move like this.  That puts you ahead of the curve, if you use the time wisely.
Jason - Welcome aboard. Brazil is a great place to live. Prepare yourself, as abthree suggests.

Given that, I wonder if there might be others with bibliographies of useful material to help those curious about a future living in Brazil - or just to understand Brazil better. It is a huge place and regional differences offer such uniquely different experiences. It has also been a long time (1980s) that I collected reading material about Brazil and Brazilians.

One book I always used to recommend to people (not Brazilian) looking into understanding Brazil better, but is now somewhat dated, was "The Brazilians," Joseph A. Page– 1 September 1996.

Perhaps we could start a new thread for people to contribute their suggestions for useful material for those considering Brazil as a new living destination?

MattB in Paraíba
Jason, welcome,

As others have said you have time to plan. I suggest you look at the nearest Consulate/Embassy site to get familiar with obtaining a permanent residency. It will be your first priority in Brazil or in your country. Many documents will be required.

I was first introduced to Brazil with my job. It wasn't easy to understand at first and until I married and moved to Brazil. (Some things still have me scratching my head!)

I like your approach, Have you registered your marriage with the BR consulate? If not you can do this now and help the processing to obtain a permanent residency which will allow you to work.

Good luck and enjoy,

Tex
@Julien ,hi julien,,just a quick question ,is there much work for Civils Engineering at present...
many thanks Mark
@mberigan hi,,just a quick question ,is there much work for Civils Engineering at present...
and if so do you recommend any genuine agencies that can help with my search..as i have had many scams...
many thanks mark.
@mskitching28 hi,,just a quick question ,is there much work for Civils Engineering at present...
and if so do you recommend any genuine agencies that can help with my search..as i have had many scams...
many thanks mark.
06/22/22 @mskitching28  Welcome, Mark.

There is plenty of work for civil engineers in Brazil, but jobs will be hard to come by.  Civil Engineering is a very popular university course here, and Brazil graduates hundreds, maybe thousands, a year.

This thread is intended for New Member Introductions.  We welcome all kinds of questions, including employment-related ones, but please post them in threads related to the topic, or start a new one if you can't find one that applies.  Thanks!👍🏻
As abthree said, both of my children graduated with CE degrees. After a couple of years, they quit jobs in CE jobs. (low pay for beginners) One went back for a master's and graduated and found a job in the US the other started his own consulting company.
Brazil is Brazilian's first meaning a company must prove it cannot find a Brazilian to meet its need before hiring a foreigner.
Hi guys, I am living between Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro while learning the Portuguese language and Brazilian culture. I am looking forward interacting with all you guys. 
06/22/22  Welcome, Duroman!

@sprealestatebroker this is a huge issue especially for those whom inter-marry or have spouses

Welcome, fellow Texan.
We rent our condo and require the same. It is tough without a permanent visa. Have your spouse try her bank or Bradesco,

Seriously thinking about moving to Curitiba. Been there several times. Will retire in about 2 years. Currently in Portland Oregon

Hi everyone, I'm Liam - an Australian guy joining the forum in the hope of finding some helpful advice about the best and swiftest way to re-join my ill Brazilian partner there. Looking forward to chatting with everyone and picking your brains!

Liam
Welcome, Liam.
Sorry to hear your partner is ill. We can give you some information if you would not mind sharing some information.
Do you want to stay in Brazil permanently?
Are you married to your partner?
Just ask any questions and we will be glad to share our information as to living in Brazil.
Tex
Hi Tex, thanks for the welcome. I'll start a new thread with all the details so as not to hijack this one with my story.
Finding this forum invaluable.
Closed