How much salary does an expat need to survive in Malaysia?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what is considered a decent amount of salary to live almost anywhere in Malaysia for an expat couple ?

I understand it may vary from place to place or province to province but I will really appreciate if someone can provide valuable feedbacks.

Is 6000 MYR considered a decent amount of salary for an expat couple to live in KL, JB, Penang ?

If not, then what is considered decent amount to survive (Not lavish or high quality life standard) ?

Thanks in advance everyone for any valuable feedback you may provide.

Much appreciated !

I remember 18 yeats ago average salary in Selangor was 7,000 RM a month. People quote the government all nation acerages often but these include people in the jungle living off of 500 RM a month etc.

Take typical salaries I know off in my time in Malaysia. Most are a decade old now , a decade of inflation.

Local senior science teacher 6,500 RM
Tutor (sccience) 7,000 RM
Cleaner no quals 3,000 RM
Expat teacher 14,000 to 26,000 Rm per month.
Supervisor team leader in a bank 12,000 RM a month

Many of above complained about how hard it was to live.

6,000 RM if you buy a property and a car in cash, and doesn't include medical insurance fee, ok can do. Not luxery but ok.

All in. No way.

Nemodot wrote:

I remember 18 yeats ago average salary in Selangor was 7,000 RM a month. People quote the government all nation acerages often but these include people in the jungle living off of 500 RM a month etc.

Take typical salaries I know off in my time in Malaysia. Most are a decade old now , a decade of inflation.

Local senior science teacher 6,500 RM
Tutor (sccience) 7,000 RM
Cleaner no quals 3,000 RM
Expat teacher 14,000 to 26,000 Rm per month.
Supervisor team leader in a bank 12,000 RM a month

Many of above complained about how hard it was to live.

6,000 RM if you buy a property and a car in cash, and doesn't include medical insurance fee, ok can do. Not luxery but ok.

All in. No way.

Thanks for the feedback,

What if I plan to rent 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or condo ?

Have you looked at any prices for apartments or condos yet? By Penang, do you mean the island or where?

For rm6000 two people can live, and on less too, but there is income tax to consider and the problem of continuing inflation that will eat the money. If you cant raise your income then you have to continually reduce your standard. Can you do that? Are you willing to reduce to the point of living in a van and eating a bowl of rice per day? What are you willing to give up to remain here?

A lot of people have a standard they refuse to reduce from. Two people can live on very little, like rm2,000 a month, if their standard of life is low AND that they dont mind ongoing deprivation when needed. I think the best example is when you need a pair of shoes, are you willing to delay buying them or do you insist on buying them today? That mental point of view speaks to the standard that is not simply about money. If you want to spend at the moment of desire, I promise rm6000 will not be enough. But if your point of view is 1) I know how to repair my shoes if needed, or 2) I know a guy who can repair them cheap, or 3) I dont mind waiting and putting aside a little money each month for new shoes, then OK, rm6000 is suddenly enough. Insert any word in exchange of "shoes" like car, house or whatever and that is going to determine if rm6000 is enough. Many expats I know insist on buying only a new car and have no interest or skills to keep an old car that they repair themselves so they cannot live on rm6000. Are you willing to live in a crappy house that you know how to fix-up over time yourself or do you insist on a really nice place in a great neighborhood from the first day? When your plumbing breaks, can you fix it yourself with your own tools? Do you have the heart of a scavenger, willing to dig through trash and re-purpose things for your house, or do you insist on really nice furniture you can go and buy anytime you like? Do you know how to repair your body instead of running to a $$$doctor every time you have some pain? And do you mind keeping up that ability and mindset long-term, permanently? In the old days anyway, the expats I knew loved to go on trips as often as the time allowed. They thought, lets go handbag shopping in Singapore next weekend or lets go to Bangkok this weekend and drink ourselves silly and they go and dont care what they spend. Is that you, or do you think that you dont need trips and shopping to make you happy?

Attitude, determination, persistence and ability speak more to a standard than money itself. The more salary, we will say the less worry and the more spontaneous one can live; the less salary, the more a person will have to do themselves or forego completely. I wouldnt enjoy it but I could live in my car and take care of my needs for about RM500-700 a month. So, for rm6000/mo I either dont need it or I would have a lot to add to savings each month. Others, rm6000 wouldnt last a week because they live their life with a kind of immediacy, like "ah, im in the mood for a new i-phone for rm3500 today. Lets go." Or are you satisfied with some old Nokia and dont care?

In years of writing posts about "whats enough" I never put it this way, about skills and ability because we usually just talk about what things cost. If a person is devoid of ability and resourcefulness a lot of money will be needed to compensate in which case rm6000 isnt really enough for two. A person CAN avoid wasting money here but you have to work at it, have strict budgets and learn where to shop and get things done. It takes time to learn.

(For some now and its growing, people want to live off-grid and remotely, regardless of income. This alone can reduce costs but at what price? If a person wants to live in a jungle village and beyond it, can the person figure out their water and electric needs, together with coping with rats, snakes, insects, nosy neighbors and floods? Off-grid is really another topic by itself.)

Everything can be figured out at any income level if the person has some smarts and energy. Covid has and will change how people live so there is more to consider than just income now.

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.

I really appreciate this and it gives a clear idea about how the life is in Malaysia (to some sort)

We are a couple who lives simple life and prefers to live low profile.
We cook our food mostly at home and eats out once in every couple weeks and we don't drink or smoke. We like nature and prefers to live somewhere with less noise or more of a quieter place (If there is any because its almost impossible to find one nowadays, LOL)

What would you suggest as Island or where in Penang ?

cvco wrote:

Have you looked at any prices for apartments or condos yet? By Penang, do you mean the island or where?

For rm6000 two people can live, and on less too, but there is income tax to consider and the problem of continuing inflation that will eat the money. If you cant raise your income then you have to continually reduce your standard. Can you do that? Are you willing to reduce to the point of living in a van and eating a bowl of rice per day? What are you willing to give up to remain here?

A lot of people have a standard they refuse to reduce from. Two people can live on very little, like rm2,000 a month, if their standard of life is low AND that they dont mind ongoing deprivation when needed. I think the best example is when you need a pair of shoes, are you willing to delay buying them or do you insist on buying them today? That mental point of view speaks to the standard that is not simply about money. If you want to spend at the moment of desire, I promise rm6000 will not be enough. But if your point of view is 1) I know how to repair my shoes if needed, or 2) I know a guy who can repair them cheap, or 3) I dont mind waiting and putting aside a little money each month for new shoes, then OK, rm6000 is suddenly enough. Insert any word in exchange of "shoes" like car, house or whatever and that is going to determine if rm6000 is enough. Many expats I know insist on buying only a new car and have no interest or skills to keep an old car that they repair themselves so they cannot live on rm6000. Are you willing to live in a crappy house that you know how to fix-up over time yourself or do you insist on a really nice place in a great neighborhood from the first day? When your plumbing breaks, can you fix it yourself with your own tools? Do you have the heart of a scavenger, willing to dig through trash and re-purpose things for your house, or do you insist on really nice furniture you can go and buy anytime you like? Do you know how to repair your body instead of running to a $$$doctor every time you have some pain? And do you mind keeping up that ability and mindset long-term, permanently? In the old days anyway, the expats I knew loved to go on trips as often as the time allowed. They thought, lets go handbag shopping in Singapore next weekend or lets go to Bangkok this weekend and drink ourselves silly and they go and dont care what they spend. Is that you, or do you think that you dont need trips and shopping to make you happy?

Attitude, determination, persistence and ability speak more to a standard than money itself. The more salary, we will say the less worry and the more spontaneous one can live; the less salary, the more a person will have to do themselves or forego completely. I wouldnt enjoy it but I could live in my car and take care of my needs for about RM500-700 a month. So, for rm6000/mo I either dont need it or I would have a lot to add to savings each month. Others, rm6000 wouldnt last a week because they live their life with a kind of immediacy, like "ah, im in the mood for a new i-phone for rm3500 today. Lets go." Or are you satisfied with some old Nokia and dont care?

In years of writing posts about "whats enough" I never put it this way, about skills and ability because we usually just talk about what things cost. If a person is devoid of ability and resourcefulness a lot of money will be needed to compensate in which case rm6000 isnt really enough for two. A person CAN avoid wasting money here but you have to work at it, have strict budgets and learn where to shop and get things done. It takes time to learn.

(For some now and its growing, people want to live off-grid and remotely, regardless of income. This alone can reduce costs but at what price? If a person wants to live in a jungle village and beyond it, can the person figure out their water and electric needs, together with coping with rats, snakes, insects, nosy neighbors and floods? Off-grid is really another topic by itself.)

Everything can be figured out at any income level if the person has some smarts and energy. Covid has and will change how people live so there is more to consider than just income now.

Hi,

To survive in KL for a couple, here is a decent budget:

2 Bedroom Condo Fully Furnished - 1800 per month 1 Bedroom Studio Fully Furnished - 1200 per month
Utlities (Electricity, Internet, Water, Gas, phone, insurance) - 150 + 100 + 20+ 35 + 60 + 200 = 560RM
Groceries and essential expenses - 1000RM minimum
Miscellanous (Clothes, Travel and eat out weekly)- 500RM
Medical Expenses - 200RM per visit average
Travel and entertainment - 500RM

All the above are minimum costs, depending upon lifestyle.

So, 6000RM (after tax deduction) will be enough to survive, but not enough to have savings, or to go on vacation to countries nearby or places within Malaysia.

Thanks a lot VK for the detailed feedback.

Much appreciated !

Cheers,

VJK wrote:

Hi,

To survive in KL for a couple, here is a decent budget:

2 Bedroom Condo Fully Furnished - 1800 per month 1 Bedroom Studio Fully Furnished - 1200 per month
Utlities (Electricity, Internet, Water, Gas, phone, insurance) - 150 + 100 + 20+ 35 + 60 + 200 = 560RM
Groceries and essential expenses - 1000RM minimum
Miscellanous (Clothes, Travel and eat out weekly)- 500RM
Medical Expenses - 200RM per visit average
Travel and entertainment - 500RM

All the above are minimum costs, depending upon lifestyle.

So, 6000RM (after tax deduction) will be enough to survive, but not enough to have savings, or to go on vacation to countries nearby or places within Malaysia.

Yes. it is more than enough to have a middle class life here for 2 people.

Chamin Sankalpa wrote:

Yes. it is more than enough to have a middle class life here for 2 people.

Thanks Mate.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,

cvco wrote:

This is a brilliant response which could work as a universal answer to the cost of living question in virtually any country.

I know everything you've written would be good advice for expats in Mexico and Vietnam.

Agreed.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
cvco wrote:

This is a brilliant response which could work as a universal answer to the cost of living question in virtually any country.

I know everything you've written would be good advice for expats in Mexico and Vietnam.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I couldnt have written that on my first day off the airplane at which time people are concerned about the concrete information of the final price of something. I had to go maybe 4-5-6 phases of life here to discover that the final price of something isnt whats in your wallet but whats in your mind.

By now, and only because I forced myself to pay attention, in some ways im living more like a malaysian than a malaysian. Its possible, more than possible, to cruise and drift along, continually opening and closing your wallet and the only thinking you are doing is something about the tedious inconvenience of topping up the wallet. I was there, too. One day, i just sat down, shuttup, and looked and listened like I never had before which opened the door to the next phase in which money was playing a lesser part.  We can say money is important but......lets say its not, in fact its not because if a person can get their mind in a better place money will become the least of ones problems and if they cant, maybe no amount of money can save that person.

Long time ago, I really wondered if I could live and survive here when looking solely at budgets and money. Today, spin the compass, put me on an airplane to that spot with no money, check on me in two years and see that im not only still there, i flourished.

People come on forums to ask about money, money, money. Thats fine but im thinking, what a hollow question, so hollow I can hear echos all the way down the valley. How do I answer that?  I wish once they would ask, How do I get my mind right to live in that place? Now there is something to talk about because to me, anyway, living here or somewhere is less financial and more cerebral.