Advise on helping a balineese single Mum and 2 children

I have a friend in Bali who I visit and help out each time I come to Bali. she is a single Mum with 2 children. I am helping her with her daughters school fees. Mum lives in Sanur with toddler boy and daughter stays with aunt in denpasar for schooling. Mum is a massuese at a local hotel. They have had to move twice in the last 2 years due to the land being sold to build villas. I received a letter from the daughter yesterday saying her Mum cannot afford the new rentals as the minimum is 600,000 rupiah, (I guess thats per month)there accomodation has been just one room and a small kitchen and wash room, the last place had a well for the water. I want to help them but am not sure the best thing to do. I am already helping educate the older daughter so eventually she can help support her Mum, but I am wondering do I give them money to help with rental or is there some education Mum can access to be able to get herself a better job. as I dont know the system at all in Bali and what is available Im not sure what to do. I am coming to Bali in 3 weeks to visit them and wonder if anyone has any ideas how I would be best to help this family. She is a good Mum and her children are very well mannered and hard working.

Hello cazzxf7 and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will be able to advise you soon.

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Melbourne,

The best way is to help her to pay her kid's school fee (it's quite expensive for some Indonesian to have good education). You can register one of her kids into international school,it will help the kid's future alot. Why international school? because you will have access to communicate your concern directly to the kid's teacher by e-mail (most of the teachers are expat). If you would like her kids to study in local school,make sure you ask the kid's mom to provide you with all the information about the school fee(I'm not trying to tell you to spy on her spending from your money).English course outside the local school would be helpful too.

It would help by giving them money every month,but I think it's not the best way to nurture their future. Hope my comment would be helpful. Thank you.

Regards,

Dubai-an

We can meet when u are in bali, I can share best advise with you. Here's my number: 081999231968. Cheers

Hello jayati jayati rinck!

You can as well share on the forum.;)

Harmonie.

I would love to, but just to busy lately(ruan errand). Will do when have time to sit down.  Cheers

jayati jayati rinck wrote:

Will do when have time to sit down.  Cheers

Thank you,
Harmonie.;)

Hi melbourne, its very difficult to advice in things like this cause we dont know the situation, i would say as long as it feels right and they dont start asking to much money its okay .... if it feels good to you ..do it.
But indeed send them to a international school or so, not just the regular schooling here, it will not help them much, teach them english and better education

i think just give your money is not good thing to do, what if you hire them to running for your business, if you had of course. or ask them to figure business opportunity and make your self to be their partner, you can still watch them to increase their ability to make money :D

What thing is she good at? If she's from abroad and has a good english , she probably can teach private English course to Indonesian people here. :).
As long as she has something that she's good at, that will help. I guess.;)

follow your conscience...;)