Guest Friendly hotels Danang, Vietnam.

Looking for information on hotels for unmarried couples in Danang . Prefer budget hotels since we'll be there for up to three weeks.  Thanks. 😊

gwaps wrote:

Looking for information on hotels for unmarried couples in Danang . Prefer budget hotels since we'll be there for up to three weeks.  Thanks. 😊

Forget hotels.. Airbnb is better and cheaper too. Plenty of apartments to chose from, more space.. not just a bedroom but lounge, kitchen areas too.

gwaps wrote:

You gave a little more information in your cross post to the Philippines Forum:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=960598

gwaps wrote:

I'll be visiting Danang and maybe Hoi an next April with a friend from Philippines. Seems information is hard to come by on internet searches or very dated or sparse. . Just curious if we have trouble finding a budget hotel mainly in Danang and or Hoi An ? Thanks 😊

First, who told you that the borders were going to be open in April?

There are some people who believe that rumor, but many others who don't and the government hasn't officially announced when tourists will be allowed to enter.

Second, two foreigners, being unmarried and staying in the same hotel room is never a problem as far as I know, based on all of my time in Danang.

Since the person you are traveling with is not Vietnamese, I don't see why you would have any problem.

Danang is slightly more conservative than some other cities, but that only applies if it's a foreigner staying with a Vietnamese citizen and they are not married.

That situation is totally legal, but there is still some cultural resistance to it in places by the individual hotel owners.

So my experience with a number of hotels in Danang is that you won't have any problem at all as long as you both have proper ID and proper visas.

Third, please be a little more specific about your budget and the location of your hotel.

If you don't mind that your lodgings are not in the tourist friendly areas, you can get something really cheap on the waterfront of Danang Bay.

The trade-off is that you are less likely to have people who speak much English there, although I know of a really great Ngã Nghi (Motel) there where the owners speak enough basic English to make it easy to book with them and have simple conversations, especially if you are competent using the Google Translate app.

You can send me a private message if you want their information.

But maybe you mean a budget hotel near the beach?

Or a budget hotel along the river?

Since you are interested in visiting Hội An too, it would probably be best for you to find a place in the "An Tượng tourist section" of My An in Ngũ Hành Sơn, Da Nang (Google Maps link) which would have you situated to be able to easily see most of the main attractions of the city of Danang, while also being significantly closer to Hội An than you would be if you stayed along Danang Bay.

Prices and restaurants there are a little more expensive, but it's also easier to find the food you want if you aren't looking to eat Vietnamese food your entire stay.

I noticed from an old post of yours that you are vegetarian.

There are many ways to eat vegetarian in Vietnam even if you can't find a strictly vegetarian restaurant, as many of the people are vegetarian Buddhists.

I have Vietnamese friends in that area who can be helpful to you, but just keep in mind that the more budget (cheap) you try to be, the more frustrating your experience can be, meaning that sometimes there won't be an elevator or there won't be a restaurant in your hotel, or the bathroom in your hotel might have hot water in the shower but not in the sink.

But if you stick with places personally recommended by someone you trust or highly rated with many reviews online, you shouldn't have any problem.

I don't recommend Airbnb in Danang.

It's too unpredictable there as the people are still getting used to doing it.

Better to start your search with Google maps and then when you see something within your price range, look for it on one of the booking services such as hotels..com or Agoda or booking..com or elsewhere.

An added note (in addition to my other added notes) if you are truly interested in having a really good exploration of that area, don't overlook the opportunity to spend a day or two in the nearby north at the ancient city of Huế.

Mỹ Sơn sanctuary is sometimes overlooked by visitors because it's a drive requiring a full day trip, but it's a much more culturally significant location than the artificial "Disneyland" type development of Sun World Bà Nà Hills.

Jlgarbutt wrote:
gwaps wrote:

Forget hotels.. Airbnb is better and cheaper too. Plenty of apartments to chose from, more space.. not just a bedroom but lounge, kitchen areas too.

Airbnb sucks in Danang.

It's highly unpredictable because the people there are not as sophisticated in running it as are people in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.

As someone who lived there a lot over the last 3 years I highly recommend that people avoid Airbnb in Danang unless they are using it to locate a place where they will later contact the landlord to see about a long-term rental.

I actually helped a landlord run an Airbnb for a couple of her available apartments, and that was a nightmare trying to get her to understand what westerners expect to have.

My Vietnamese girlfriend (at the time) and I both gave up on that effort.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
gwaps wrote:

Airbnb sucks in Danang.

It's highly unpredictable because the people there are not as sophisticated in running it as are people in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.

As someone who lived there a lot over the last 3 years I highly recommend that people avoid Airbnb in Danang unless they are using it to locate a place where they will later contact the landlord to see about a long-term rental.

I actually helped a landlord run an Airbnb for a couple of her available apartments, and that was a nightmare trying to get her to understand what westerners expect to have.

My Vietnamese girlfriend (at the time) and I both gave up on that effort.

I had no problems with airbnb in Da Nang, was no different to HCM at all...

search TripAdvisor and get what you want

Thanks, I've thought about that as well. Just worried about blackout with no back up generator for electricity.  Yea I stayed at and Air b and b in Philippines and yes cooking at home is a big plus.  Thanks for your suggestion 😊

This Hotel is very familiar with foreigners and taking care of us well.  Good location and not expensive.  saladanangbeach.com.  HTH

I stayed in Sofia Suite Hotel Danang 3 years ago and it was excellent hotel, budget friendly and an excellent buffet breakfast.  Very friendly and helpful staff.  Good luck.

There are several places to stay outside of Da Nang along China Beach. You can also enjoy the white beach there. Amazing sight or at least it was about 13 years ago. Downtown Da Nang isnt far from the beach.

It's still good, stayed there for a few days in 2019 in one of the hotels along the beach. Nice beach, nice water, but too many high-rise hotels as everywhere. We enjoyed Hoi-An a lot more, as they have more restrictions on development and it is smaller and more walkable.

Thanks for your experience.  Yes maybe alot of construction may be noisy as well at night. I just like a place with malls or various types of restaurants.  Thought Hoi An was too boring I guess?  Anyway. I plan on going there in April but Vietnam may not even be open to foreigners until June I read.. May choose Philippines or Thailand .... Cheers ☺

capricornrising wrote:

There are several places to stay outside of Da Nang along China Beach. You can also enjoy the white beach there. Amazing sight or at least it was about 13 years ago. Downtown Da Nang isnt far from the beach.

Not a good idea to advise someone to call Non Nước Beach or adjacent Mỹ Khê Beach "China Beach", just as one shouldn't refer to the East Sea as the "South China Sea" in  Việt Nam.

The most practical reason being, there's no signage with that name, and that name doesn't appear on maps, except sometimes as a footnote.

But the more important reason is that it was a name given to that stretch of Beach by foreign military people who never bothered to learn the Vietnamese names for the different parts of the beach.

And in general the Vietnamese people don't like to have their beach or their sea branded with the name of China (not such big fans of them).

I understand your use of the name.

I swam and got hideously sunburned at that beach in 1972 at the R&R center, and wasn't until 2017 that I realized that wasn't the name the Vietnamese people called it.

Anyone using that name in speaking to local people there will be considered ignorant at best and offensive at worst.

Thanks for your input as I don't want to be offensive . Funny, 20 years ago walking around some secluded areas of Philippines someone shouted, "Hey Joe!". I thought he was being a smart ass. Found out just a military thing from long ago while soldiers  were there.

@OceanBeach92107 Thanks for the detailed information.  I have always been in Philippines for past 20 years. Nice Airband b experience there. Vegetarian food not common in restaurants.  Only real reason I dislike the country.