All about taxes for expats in France

Hi everyone,

Taxation is an important subject, especially when you are an expatriate in France. We would like to know what you think about the tax system in your host country. This could be helpful to other people preparing for expatriation in France.

How to do your tax return in France? Are there different steps beforehand and if so, what are they?

Is it easy or did you have to get help to complete it?

Are there any important elements that should be taken into account when doing your tax return in France?

If you are self-employed, do you need an accountant to do your tax return?

Is there a non-double taxation agreement with your home country? In any case, do you have to pay taxes there as well?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Hello, I've lived and worked in France since 1980 and for the first 3 or 4 years it didn't occur to me to do a tax declaration, having been used to the PAYE system in the UK., Suddenly in August 1985, I received 4 letters from the Fisc (Trésor Publique) claiming income tax over 4 years plus 10% extra for late payment.  I managed to negotiate deduction of the 10% and was able to pay in instalments.  From my experience, it's not a good thing to 'forget' to declare your income here in France.  However the employees at the tax offices are reasonable and will organize your payments over a number of months.  Nowadays, payment 'à la source', similar to Pay as you earn, for "salariés" is an accepted means of paying your income tax but you still have to do a yearly declaration.  On-line makes it easier. 
As for housing tax, if you are renting, you may have to pay taxe d'habitation.  For those lucky enough to have bought a property, taxe foncière is due yearly in October.

Still have UK residency thankfully and given Brexit we feel we have to leave and take up residency in Portugal - where there is no wealth tax and an incentivised NHR scheme.

France is a heavy tax regime and much more expensive than either the UK or Portugal.

Enjoyed our time in France but time to sell up and move out.