Freelance - Working Remotely in France for UK clients

I am currently a Freelance Web Designer  / SEO etc

We are planning to move to France. The plan is move out to France, rent (we have this arranged), look for a place to buy and maybe ultimately set up a Gite Business. We have applied for a Long Term Visa

We are selling our home and have funds to live on from this sale and buy our property

My question is this.... if I decided in the short term to keep working in some small capacity as Freelancer but only for my UK customers (but remotely from France) is this possible? Continuing to pay my UK Taxes? As I'm not working for French or EU clients.'

(I've read conflicting posts and information on this) I've read this can be done on a long stay visitor passport with existing UK clients only?

UK Citizen

I'm really interested in the replies to this as I'm in the same boat. I've moved to France with my husband who is half French and continue to work freelance as an editor for a British company.

The info on taxes is complex, confusing and never seems to fit my situation, but as I take it, you only pay tax in one country (presumably UK for us) but still need to register as a company in France to be eligible for healthcare, etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone whose actually done this.

Incidentally Chris, are you able to settle in France post-Brexit easy enough?

Alice

Bonjour,

I do not know about new regulations on long-stay visa , but the schools are great here and health care excellent.So good luck, less pollution, French very polite,

Hi,

I've helped a lot of expats in such situation and the best solution and less complex one was to set up a company in France or register as micro-entrepreneur ( that's the less expensive one ).

Is there a reason to keep your UK company ? If yes, you could bill your UK company so you get a minimum wage in France and take the rest as dividendes ... there is always a solution, but it depends on every personal situation.

Thx

@chrisbourn I think generally the answer to your question is yes.  We did something similar.  Sold our home in California and moved to France, bought a home, and continued operating my business in the U.S. with exclusively U.S. clients in the U.S..  The key was to set up a small business / profession here in France to pay taxes and "cotisations" on your income.  This will help you qualify for a Carte Vitale (healthcare). It was a bit complicated so getting a good French accountant was key for us.

@wadams92101 : it depends, if the job is done from France, the company director is living in France ... based on the French CFC ( Controlled Foreign Company ) rules, the company will be tax resident in France and taxed here.

That's why every situation is unique but I agree with you that finding a french accountant speaking English is a big challenge :)

Hi,

Did anyone find or know of a good accountant they would recommend? I'm in the same situation and need advice and possible help setting up a company etc.

Thanks

Hi, I've been working with the guys from fba-france.fr and they're very good. I have a personal contact with Claire Molina ([email protected]) although I think she is mostly in the HR services she can probably refer you to their accountant. Hope that helps?

@russelledkins

Hi,

I had a company for over 30 years and my accountant was CERES,10 Av. Félix Faure in Nice 06000. 04 97 036363.

Very competent and available.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have read a few horror stories elsewhere so thought it would be prudent to ask for some recommendations!

@fabienffi Thanks. I just reached out to FBA so it's good to hear that you've had a positive engagement with them.

Out of interest, do you guys have a ballpark figure for their services, such as regular accounting, setting up an EI, invoicing (I don't know if they actually do that), tax return etc.