Exciting opportunity in HCMC.

Hi everyone.
I'm an Australian currently living in Brisbane Australia with my British wife and 11 year old daughter (dual Australian British citizenship) and Labrador.
I have received a very exciting offer in HCMC which includes private health, return flights home once a year (hopefully without Covid restrictions), relocation costs (freight and 4 weeks accommodation). Hoping to negotiate education costs for my daughter as part of the package. Thinking British International School (Year 7). Office is in the Tan Binh District.
Wondering where the best areas would be to be close to school, work, dog walking, quiet green areas, fun activities whilst being close to expats.
Spent 2 weeks in HCMC back in 2007 and am assuming a lot has changed since then. Have fond memories of the city and its people.
Thanking you all in advance.

Hi Welcome,

Celadon City (where Goodoldboy lives) is very well managed, they looked after everyone exceedingly well over lockdown, great for Aeon Mall and airport British International School not exactly close pretty busy road to do a school run on especially when raining.

There is BIS in D3 & Thao Dien with apartments in Thao Dien area (Jigabutt lives there)
But then you would have to travel back to Tan Binh.

I did that run from end of runway to Phu Nhaun school area everyday for a year not fun on a bike in the rain lol.

What line of work, when do you plan to fly here, have they said what quarantine you have to do? We have not had many in due to lockdowns here in HCMC

Hi and thank you for your reply.
I'm working in Architecture Engineering and Construction industry. We are planning to fly after Xmas and before schools go back in the New Year. Hopefully things will have improved compared to current situation.
Kind regards
Scott

beaverbrisvegas wrote:

Hi everyone.
I'm an Australian currently living in Brisbane Australia with my British wife and 11 year old daughter (dual Australian British citizenship) and Labrador.
I have received a very exciting offer in HCMC which includes private health, return flights home once a year (hopefully without Covid restrictions), relocation costs (freight and 4 weeks accommodation). Hoping to negotiate education costs for my daughter as part of the package. Thinking British International School (Year 7). Office is in the Tan Binh District.
Wondering where the best areas would be to be close to school, work, dog walking, quiet green areas, fun activities whilst being close to expats.
Spent 2 weeks in HCMC back in 2007 and am assuming a lot has changed since then. Have fond memories of the city and its people.

Tan Binh is a big district, where roughly is your office?

My advice would be to find somewhere near the British Int School if that,s your preference & there are lots of villa,s & apartments right beside it if you have the cash to rent there & it fits your requirement to be 1......close to school, 2......close to ex pats. 3........fun activities, I am sure that anywhere there are lots of expats there will be fun activities going on but its a pretty wide remit.
Not sure you will find any quiet Green areas anywhere in HCMC for walking the dog but I am sure in some of the gated communities along the river front there will be.

A word of warning regarding where your work actually is located & where you actually live..........when the kids are being dropped off & picked up after school its gridlock & you could be in a traffic jam for up to 30 minutes.
So say for example you decide to live outside D2 & drop your daughter off & pick her up be prepared for the battle just to get to the school to pick her up & then get away from the pick up point 2 x a day.

Dont even think about coming to Celadon City Emerald Tan Phu as was suggested in another post. Why? 1..........It would take you an hour by car to get from here to & from the School!
          2..... In the gated community here with a population of in excess of 5,000 residents there are at most 10 expats that I know of & everyone keeps themselves to themselves.
On the positive side there are beautiful gardens with kids play pools, lots of kids play areas, BBQ pits & 2 parks within the community for dog walking & a huge sports centre with Olympic size swimming pool, football pitches, tennis courts, badminton courts, yoga etc. & a great Management team with great back up Residents Support Groups

beaverbrisvegas wrote:

Hi everyone.

Since you're taking the whole family, probably more convenient and safer for you to be in Thao Dien. Unlike in 2007, you have a lot of western food available to you (at a cost) in Thao Dien. The area will help you transition and climitise to the environment without slugging it.

Depending on what position you hold, sometimes work can arrange transport for you.

2007 was a long time ago, things change in Vietnam on a daily basis. You'll enjoy the areas you have not been to yet.

You in hcmc or oz?

Westerners live among themselves in Thao Dien, they live together as if they were in their country, where everything is expensive.

:)

Thank you very much for the replies. Greatly appreciated. I will be working in Ward 13 Tan Binh.

Currently in Australia.

beaverbrisvegas
Australian expat in Vietnam?

@Cossimo
Did you ride out covid in Oz?
Noticed you have no posts since 2019.

@ brisvegas
Where you live in brissie

That's correct. Still in Brisbane in Hawthorne.

@ Brisvegas

I used to go rock n rolling at the Colmsie, good night out

beaverbrisvegas wrote:

Currently in Australia.

Sorry I should have used "quote function" I meant to reply to Cossmo.

Andybris2020 wrote:

beaverbrisvegas
Australian expat in Vietnam?

Your Profile actually says you are in Vietnam which is going to confuse people.

Phu My Hung in D7 is by far the best place to live in HCMC. Plenty of open spaces, parks, ex-pats, etc.

beaverbrisvegas wrote:

Currently in Australia.

Welcome to the forum.

Please take the time to learn how to adjust your profile, to reflect your current country of residence.

When you actually arrive in Vietnam you will easily be able to update your residence status.

nick4946 wrote:

Phu My Hung in D7 is by far the best place to live in HCMC. Plenty of open spaces, parks, ex-pats, etc.

Expats! Thats a good reason to avoid the place.

colinoscapee wrote:
nick4946 wrote:

Bà (Rịa) Humbug!

;)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
nick4946 wrote:

Bà (Rịa) Humbug!

;)

I dont see the point in moving halfway around the world  to be surrounded by expats, may as well stay home.
Then again, some expats see to love eating, drinking and living with their fellow expats day-in,day-out.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Bà (Rịa) Humbug!

;)

I dont see the point in moving halfway around the world  to be surrounded by expats, may as well stay home.
Then again, some expats see to love eating, drinking and living with their fellow expats day-in,day-out.

My winky emoji was indicating that I actually agree with you

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Bà (Rịa) Humbug!

;)

My winky emoji was indicating that I actually agree with you

Yeah I got that.  :)

Just adding more thoughts to the discussion.