Sending equipment via courier to Vietnam from UK.

Hello globetrotters, expats, and tourist-types...

I have an enquiry about sending stuff to Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh to be more precise. Basically I am a DJ back home in Blighty and I'd love to get 2 turntables and a DJ mixer sent over via courier. It is not a problem arranging a courier but I am worried about taxes etc I may have to pay on arrival of the stuff to the country.. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Not specifically electrical equipment but just stuff they've had sent over?

I am planning to stay in HCMC for a year or more as a teacher and I don't really want to give up a passion of mine that I've had for many years. This whole problem could be irradicated by being able to buy equipment when over there however from the extensive research I have done this appears to be extremely rare and/or difficult to obtain.

I've checked on the Vietnam customs website to no avail.

Any information would be a great help.

Peace!

:D

Oh well I've just done a quick search and found out quite a lot! Damn my laziness. Ah well, I'll keep it up here just in case!

Cheers,

Why don't you just pack the gear up and travel with it? You will have to pay for the extra luggage but you will have your equipment and will not have to pay for shipping.

That would be a sensible option Vung however I fly into Bangkok and I'm travelling for a few weeks around Thailand and Cambodia before reaching HCMC so it wouldn't really be feasible . I wish things were easy in life haha.

It's gonna cost you.

I realise that there will be cost involved I just want to gauge whether it will be worth sending it over. I'd just be so sad to leave something I love so much behind but at the same time I don't have much money. Just an indication of cost would be helpful. Thanks.

I have a mandolin on the way.  I hope there's no receipt in the box. 

Anything electronic I'd carry myself or have someone else carry.  The chance of theft is just too high.

Theft via a courier? That is worrying. Thanks again.

DJWizdom wrote:

I don't know anything about couriers.  In general, books get through, music usually gets through, electronic parts, even  cheapo things like earbuds, often fail to arrive, but I'm talking about the post.  Customs opens everything.

CanThoCurmudgeon wrote:
DJWizdom wrote:

I don't know anything about couriers.  In general, books get through, music usually gets through, electronic parts, even  cheapo things like earbuds, often fail to arrive, but I'm talking about the post.  Customs opens everything.

Hijacking post but what about clothes/fashion accessories?