Which area is more ideal to live in for a short 6 months stay in SGN?

I was wondering weather D1 or D7 is a better stay for Foreigner planning on staying in HCMC for about 6 months to a year? Input would be great.

Quan 7 is about 20 minutes (by private transport) from Quan 1. Transportation is a big determinant in this city as public transit is very basic (and rough).

But you shouldn't make any decisions before you arrive - Quan's 1, 2, 4 and 7 are distinctly different. Your needs determine where you live - party life (drinking with Foreigners) is centred on the Pham Ngu Lao backpacker slum area. Quan 7 is essentially a dormitory area although there are a couple of areas that might be of interest.

NGUYEN DUC CANH has many fast food outlets, etc and is is surrounded by residential areas. PHU MY HUNG is where Foreigners hand out at small, very, very, expensive cafes, and snack bars. The apartments in the area are, generally, much older - they were built for the first Foreigners who wanted to escape the noise and the VNese.

There is a 12-lane expressway, NGUYEN VAN LINH, separating these two areas of Quan 7. There are many noisy, smoky, trucks using this road 24/6.5 - it's a feeder road to the docks.

I suggest you concentrate on Quan 1 and 3.

I have live in Quan 1 area call Dakao for a few months. To be exact it is at Hem or alley 18. The advantage is location as it is close to food, bus service, and safe at night as it is around the Embassies. Road and place is relatively clean and walking distant to most Quan 1 tourist area.

D1 is more central and noisy - more tourist oriented, while D7 is more quiet and expat-oriented. But if you are a party person, you'd probably enjoy D1 more as all the main night life activities are there. Anyway, D1 and D7 are just 15 min apart by bike.
D.1 is also pricier in terms of apartments, though I wouldn't call D7 cheap either, but you can find many options of  even not-shared apartments for that price that you posted. Try to ask on FB group - expats in HCMC. Sometimes there are posts with people looking for a house/apartments mate.

Cheers,
Aleksa

Probably asking the impossible , but, I'm looking for something low cost but decent, No backpacker but also close to residential area and quiet after 9 pm transport by bus is not a concern any suggestions ?

(Moderated: please post your offer in the housing section)

Markin Nam, I suggest Khu Dan cu Trung Son, Binh Hung, Binh Chanh at the last station of bus no 152, can reach almost your requirement, in my opinion

(That's the only place I know for now since I live here)

thank you meo mun

D1 is so noisy but really good place for amusing. D7 is more quiet, but good place to live. I prefer to live in D7 :)

is D3 a nice place to live as well?

In Dist 3 is very nice place to live as well. There are University, hospitals, local markets, supper markets, banks, nice restaurants, nice coffee shops...i will choose a good room and good location for you in District 1, 2, 3, 7...and it is depend on your budget for the good one. Cheers!

Yeah I need cheaper room though. Is district 7 near 1,2&3?

Only Dist 3 is near Dist 1 from 5-10 minutes, Dist 7 & Dist 2 are far away from Dist 1 around 15-20 minutes. Please kindly search on Google Maps for more reference.

I suggest you look at D3 or D10. Both good for eating, drinking etc and walkable to D1 (if you must).
Rent a small serviced studio apartment for $350/400 a month.