I'm Christian a swiss born vietnamese

Hi all,

I'm Christian , a swiss born vietnamese, who used to travel with my job ( hairdresser / photographer ).

I would like to know if expats and vietnamese actually, looking for / interesting to a foreigner haidresser with the french touch. Someone knows how to take care of western AND asian hair?

I can speak French, English , Vietnamese and have some basics German, Italian and Chinese.

I worked in Paris for awhile and I'm working in Shanghai for 2 years now. I'm thinking to move in my motherland Vietnam (HCMC) to try a new aventure.

Just trying to get some opinions of people here , perhaps you know which kind of salon might looking for foreigner staff.

Thanks for your help.

Hi there!
Welcome to Vietnam:)
Uhm what about opening your own hair salon in D1? Probably close to Ben Thanh or Bui Vien where a lot of tourists but also Expats are. My Caucasian Xpats friends have problems finding a hair stylist who is able to cut NON ASIAN hair and who speaks English.

Happy Traveling
Mai

missmae wrote:

Hi there!
Welcome to Vietnam:)
Uhm what about opening your own hair salon in D1? Probably close to Ben Thanh or Bui Vien where a lot of tourists but also Expats are. My Caucasian Xpats friends have problems finding a hair stylist who is able to cut NON ASIAN hair and who speaks English.

Happy Traveling
Mai

Thank you for your reply. Happy to hear that and feel sorry for your expats friends. To be honest open a new salon in Vietnam it's a bit risky because I don't know how is the market there. Anyway , it was just like a survey about that.

Yeah ure right.
Well I would email some bigger international chains or foreign owned hair salons. sorry I dont know any because I go to the one in the neighbourhood.
There are so many hole-in-the-wall hair salons and sooo freaking cheap (100.000 vnd which is equal to roughly 4 Euro) that imo it doesn't make any sense to run one.
If you work only for foreigners you might ask for the triple price but locals will never pay more than 100 to 150.000 vnd for a cut...

btw i like your hair cut:) wanna cut mine too hihi

missmae wrote:

Yeah ure right.
Well I would email some bigger international chains or foreign owned hair salons. sorry I dont know any because I go to the one in the neighbourhood.
There are so many hole-in-the-wall hair salons and sooo freaking cheap (100.000 vnd which is equal to roughly 4 Euro) that imo it doesn't make any sense to run one.
If you work only for foreigners you might ask for the triple price but locals will never pay more than 100 to 150.000 vnd for a cut...

Yeah I definitely know what you're talking about. But as a foreigner hairdresser in China actually, I know that expats are pretty afraid to go to local hair salon. And local people like to try foreigners stylist..of course it's not the same price but it's not the same "touch" as well.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment though. I don't know how is your hair, but if you feel you need some changes... go ahead ! Changes are never bad.

Cheers.

I pay 300,000 for my haircuts at a Korean salon. Any Viet Kieu or Korean-owned will be around that much. District 1, 2 and 7 are the places to find these salons for employment.

Is it that much important?  :)
Usually I get my hair cut from Vietnamese, any, starts from 25000 - 50000 VND
Never search for a foreign hair dresser or English speaking!

SiNamN wrote:
missmae wrote:

Yeah ure right.

Yeah I definitely know what you're talking about. But as a foreigner hairdresser in China actually, I know that expats are pretty afraid to go to local hair salon. And local people like to try foreigners stylist..of course it's not the same price but it's not the same "touch" as well.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment though. I don't know how is your hair, but if you feel you need some changes... go ahead ! Changes are never bad.

Cheers.

Well I got a bob cut 2 years ago. Dramatic change but love short hair:p
Anyway wish you a good time in vietnam, its amazing

NinaVamp wrote:

I pay 300,000 for my haircuts at a Korean salon. Any Viet Kieu or Korean-owned will be around that much. District 1, 2 and 7 are the places to find these salons for employment.

Thank you for those informations, I appreciate.

charmavietnam wrote:

Is it that much important?  :)
Usually I get my hair cut from Vietnamese, any, starts from 25000 - 50000 VND
Never search for a foreign hair dresser or English speaking!

I guess it's different for everyone. Some cares more about their hair than others. But nothing is wrong or nothing is right. But as services , the price is ,most of the time, equal to the quality and services "level".
But thanks for you reply though.

missmae wrote:

Well I got a bob cut 2 years ago. Dramatic change but love short hair:p
Anyway wish you a good time in vietnam, its amazing

I see , the most important thing is you have to feel good and confortable with your hair. We can say anything , but hair is important to everyone :). And I'm not in Vietnam yet , still wondering what to do.