Suggested Neighbourhoods in San Miguel de Allende

My husband and I, age 61 and 63 are recently retired and live in Canada, Alberta.  We would love to spend a month approx. in San Miguel de Allende in November 2021 to scout out all your community has to offer.  We are wandering about recommended ex-pat neighbourhoods.  Our Aunt and Uncle, now deceased, spoke highly of SMA for many years, and we would like to look for a potential snowbird location.  We can do the AirBnB option or other suggestions, but really don`t know which neighbourhoods to consider.  We are both fit and will walk for the most part.  What neighbourhoods should we consider, and what to avoid.  Advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

WOW, quite the question but my wife and I personal experience before retiring and then moving fulltime as permanent residents (canadians aged 74 and 69)

1- first travel in Mexico 1993, small hotel in Zihuattanejo
2- 1996 to 2002, more visiting backpack style within Mexico incuding SMA
3- 2003 to 2013, RVing 6 months a year all across Mexico except CDMX and baja California
4- 2013 to 2017, renting apartments 6 months a year namely the areas we were looking for full-time residency
5- August 2017, moved to the Riviera Nayarit area namely Bahia de Jaltemba, decision taken after all our personal travelling reason is mainly because taste is different from one person to another (we rent vs purchase property, we are walking distance to all the needs we have vs having a vehicle, we are walking distance to beach, we are living in a small neighbourhood with mexican family that own the complex and house),

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC

Thank you for your response, Mexicogc.