New car reg (different states) and docs

Hi everyone, super happy to have found this community.

Me and my wife fell in love with Brazil on a trip and are now moving over.

I am give mixed information as it comes to buying a new car.

1) Is a foreign passport   CPF   RNE protocal number enough to register it?

2) Can I buy a new car from a dealer in one state and immediately register it in my address in another state? (we will be living in Rio, but there might be better deals in SP)

Thank you! Any advice / experience greatly appreciated.

I am originally from Iceland, now a US citizen, and I have my CRNM, Permanent Residency in Brazil. I live in the USA about 2/3 of the time, but will be retiring to Brazil soon.
To your question. I bought my first car in SP Brazil this past June. The money was sent by Wise, with zero problems  All I needed to complete my purchase was my CPF, U.S. passport, and an address in Brazil which quite surprised me as they did not ask for proof of.  I offered my CRNM, but they said it was not needed.  To date, I am using my U.S. driver's license.

The purchase process was quite fast and easy, once I found a car.  At this time, the availability of cars however is limited as Covid created huge problems in production for way over a year, and product vs. sales is very behind.

So this may be different for a UK (Me) citizen and a US or otherwise citizen, but you mention you are only using your US license to drive while in Brazil? Did you not have to apply for a Brazilian licence, using your existing US one to skip the exams and just go straight for the interview (100% Portuguese), eye test and pattern recognition test?

I ask because I did the above based on my full UK licence back in October last year and I am still in the process of obtaining my Brazilian licence so I can legally drive here. I'd be a little bummed to find out I didn't need to go through this whole process to legally drive in Brazil.

First Wecacic660
I am not sure but I believe you can register in another state.
My dealer registered it at IPVA here since I live here.  Ask the dealer. You may have registered in your home state and city.

As to Driver's Licenciamento. You may drive on your home country if approved by DETRAN for 180 days only. Yes, all will have an eye exam, unless you have a new script from a Brazilian eye doctor, and take the physic test.
Many days I see drivers who could never pass that test.  :dumbom:
Also, be sure to compare type of license ) auto only, truck, motorcycle. Brazil's codes do not match other countries. I had to print my US state codes and means for DETRAN

English Penguin wrote:

So this may be different for a UK (Me) citizen and a US or otherwise citizen, but you mention you are only using your US license to drive while in Brazil? Did you not have to apply for a Brazilian licence, using your existing US one to skip the exams and just go straight for the interview (100% Portuguese), eye test and pattern recognition test?

I ask because I did the above based on my full UK licence back in October last year and I am still in the process of obtaining my Brazilian licence so I can legally drive here. I'd be a little bummed to find out I didn't need to go through this whole process to legally drive in Brazil.

___
I have never stayed in  Brazil at any one time long enough for a Brazilian driver's license to be a requirement and having a Brazilian driver's license is not a requirement to buy a car. I have a "facilitator" in SP that I use for legal issues.  He said he can have my Brazilian license  VERY easily when I ask him and when I need one, and my U.S. license is to drive any combination of vehicles/motorcycle, but a school bus.

Ok, interesting, thanks for the reply. I was told that a foreign licence is only good for up to 180 days a year inside of Brazil (after buying a special insurance), so I would need a Brazilian licence to drive freely as I can most other places in the world.

Hi English Penguim,

You will only need  a medical exam(ask your local detran) and you will be able to exchange your British driving licence for a Brazilian one. An International driving licence is valid for 180 days.

https://www.detran.sc.gov.br/informacoe … o-exterior

KatHScott wrote:

Hi English Penguim,

You will only need  a medical exam(ask your local detran) and you will be able to exchange your British driving licence for a Brazilian one. An International driving licence is valid for 180 days.

Note this statement in the document you forwarded:

"Nestas situações, o condutor deverá se submeter a exame de aptidão física e mental e avaliação psicológica, respeitada sua categoria, com vistas à obtenção da CNH brasileira."

Here in Amazonas, that meant passing an eye test and a psychological test, and either passing a written test on the rules of the road in Brazil,  or taking a five day course (all lectures, no tests) on the subject. 

If DETRAN-SC is only requiring a physical exam, you're lucky!  :top:

KatHScott wrote:

Hi English Penguim,

Hi,

I actually had to take the eye exam, the phycological ones (pattern tests etc.) and a one hour interview in Portuguese before I could apply for my Brazilian license. The issue I faced was that my UK license did not have my full name printed on it (had initials for my two middle names) as we don't really care about middle names legally in the UK. Nobody from DETRAN got in touch with me about this issue and after contacting them 3, 6 and 9 months after submitting my application did they bother to mention there was a hold up because of that. I had to send letters to the embassy and DVLA to try and get some help. I was flat out told at first that UK driver's licenses just do not print names over a certain length, so I was SOL and the embassy said they couldn't help me either. The lady at DETRAN said they needed some official letter from the embassy that states I am the same person on my passport as I am on my UK driver's license lol...

So a couple month's pass and a letter arrived in the UK at my house. It was from the DVLA and more specifically an actual human response. The letter said that if I was to send my current license, they would print the full name on it for me! I literally only today just received the license back from the UK but luckily, in the letter the lady from DVLA sent me, she stated clear as day that I am indeed the same person (shocked Pikachu face) and the letter translated was enough to start the process of getting my license (which apparently will still take a MINIMUM of 90 days?! This is one of those experiences that has left a very bitter taste in my mouth in regards to Brazil sadly. I passed and applied for my license in OCTOBER of 2020 and haven't been able to legally drive here since then because nobody bothered to get in touch to tell us about the hold up.

It's also something I found no information about online so it seems my specific issue is unique? The lady at DETRAN was 100% certain that if I spoke to the British Embassy, they'd happily give my a letter with their header saying what I needed them to say, but the embassy didn't have a clue and ultimately just said they can't help.

English,
DTRAN in Foz has an estrangeiro window in the back. They were very helpful. One point of contention is you have to speak Portuguese. This is not the case. The Clinic rejected me, I went back with a PRF agent and Detran said they were not aware of such.
The clinic tech was not pleased, but she wanted to know who said this. So another trip with the PRF agent, and she changed her tune.

09/20/21

English Penguin

What a story!  At least, now you have an official letter saying that you are you.  :lol:

Every place really is different.  Here, they had no trouble with my middle initial on my US license, but they were flummoxed by the Sworn Translation, because they'd have to go online to confirm it and they were "too busy".  Amazingly, getting a stamp on in from their in-house cartório (R$12) made that problem suddenly disappear.

I have to renew next year, and I'm looking forward to see what new horrors they have in store.

abthree wrote:

09/20/21

English Penguin

What a story!  At least, now you have an official letter saying that you are you.  :lol:

Every place really is different.  Here, they had no trouble with my middle initial on my US license, but they were flummoxed by the Sworn Translation, because they'd have to go online to confirm it and they were "too busy".  Amazingly, getting a stamp on in from their in-house cartório (R$12) made that problem suddenly disappear.

I have to renew next year, and I'm looking forward to see what new horrors they have in store.

They are definitely more laid back here in Santa Catarina but unfortunately my husband will have to pass a driving test as well as the medical exams(eye and psychological). He exchanged his British licence for an Irish one and Ireland is not part of  any convention or agreement  with Brazil. :(

Texanbrazil wrote:

English,
DTRAN in Foz has an estrangeiro window in the back. They were very helpful. One point of contention is you have to speak Portuguese. This is not the case. The Clinic rejected me, I went back with a PRF agent and Detran said they were not aware of such.
The clinic tech was not pleased, but she wanted to know who said this. So another trip with the PRF agent, and she changed her tune.

Amazingly nobody told me or my wife about that. To be honest, the whole process was relatively straight forward. My gripe is with this lack of communication after submitting everything to them. If they'd just updated the online status to say there was an issue or to contact them, it would have saved month's of absolute pain.

I am assured the process is back on track now but I am still expecting something else to pop up haha. I need to find some friends in the PRF!

KatHScott wrote:
abthree wrote:

09/20/21

English Penguin

They are definitely more laid back here in Santa Catarina but unfortunately my husband will have to pass a driving test as well as the medical exams(eye and psychological). He exchanged his British licence for an Irish one and Ireland is not part of  any convention or agreement  with Brazil. :(

That would be my nightmare! I can't live without driving, and I am nowhere near ready to start the process of applying like a citizen. Other than the license issue, has your husband had any other issues? I am born and raised in London and I have a UK passport but both my parents moved from Ireland to live there decades ago and due to the stupidity that is Brexit, I was tempted to get an Irish passport instead of my British one but now I am wondering what sort of issues that will cause here.

English Penguin wrote:

That would be my nightmare! I can't live without driving, and I am nowhere near ready to start the process of applying like a citizen. Other than the license issue, has your husband had any other issues? I am born and raised in London and I have a UK passport but both my parents moved from Ireland to live there decades ago and due to the stupidity that is Brexit, I was tempted to get an Irish passport instead of my British one but now I am wondering what sort of issues that will cause here.

Brazil has no problems with dual/multiple nationalities, so there's no impediment here to your getting a second passport from Ireland and enjoying all those benefits in the EU.  Since in all your official dealings with Brazil you've used your UK passport, I would continue doing that, not because there'd be a problem with the Irish one, but because the switch would confuse them.  You've already seen where THAT can lead!

abthree wrote:
English Penguin wrote:

Brazil has no problems with dual/multiple nationalities, so there's no impediment here to your getting a second passport from Ireland and enjoying all those benefits in the EU.  Since in all your official dealings with Brazil you've used your UK passport, I would continue doing that, not because there'd be a problem with the Irish one, but because the switch would confuse them.  You've already seen where THAT can lead!

You know, it never occurred to me to just keep using one for here and the other as my actual passport. I'll definitely be doing that then!

English Penguin wrote:
KatHScott wrote:
abthree wrote:

09/20/21

English Penguin

No other issues so far. My husband never wanted to get an Irish citizenship and as far as I know, having a Bristish passport or Irish one makes no difference here in Brazil. :top: Just stick with one only for peace of mind

09/21/21

English Penguin wrote:

You know, it never occurred to me to just keep using one for here and the other as my actual passport. I'll definitely be doing that then!

I'm a dual citizen -- US by birth and Brazil by naturalization -- and have both passports.  I use each country's own passport to enter and leave that country, of course:  it's the law, and makes sense anyway, since no country is going to give a visa to its own citizen for another country's passport.  For third countries, I'll use the passport that's most advantageous.  The US passport is stronger, but the Brazilian passport is pretty strong too, and gives visa-free access to some countries that the US passport does not.  Both the British and Irish passports are pretty strong, but there are clear differences, which will only become clearer as Brexit is fully implemented.  If you can have both, why not?  :top: