Work permit for Dependent of Blue card holder

Hello,

I am new to Belgium as a Blue card holder. I have heard that the dependent of Blue card holder cannot automatically work in Belgium and the employer has to apply for work permit B. If anyone know/been in this situation, please let me know the process/timeline obtain this work visa.

Hello Vijay,
Did you get any clarifications? Now I am also in same situations...

Not yet. Few people said, once get the card dependent can work. Waiting for the card.

Hi Santu,

Are you already in Belgium? If so, did you get your card or registered in commune?

Hi.. it is a biggest advantage that dependent of Blue card holder can become independent by applying for a new single permit.

I hold a EU Blue card and this is a big advantage for us.

Hi Madhav,

Thank you for your reply. But without applying single permit, can they work as a dependent?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I recently arrived to Belgium, following a Single Work Permit (from my employer), I went to the commune after I arrived and they are preparing my residence permit.

My question is, who applies for the Blue card. Is it me or my employer? How does the process happen? Will I be able to transfer my single permit to a blue card?

Noting that I am eligible for the blue card (Salary wise, education wise...)

Thank you so much for your answer.

once I get annex 49, how many days will it take to get a decision from the immigration office for Blue card??

vijayc wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Belgium as a Blue card holder. I have heard that the dependent of Blue card holder cannot automatically work in Belgium and the employer has to apply for work permit B. If anyone know/been in this situation, please let me know the process/timeline obtain this work visa.

Hello @vijayc, could I kindly ask how long it took for your blue card to process? Applied for the Blue Card for an employee on October 5 and would like to know when it is realistic to start employment... Thank you.

@madhav.brussels  URGENT - can you please advice as i am in same situation, 

my spouse is on Blue card and i am dependent but i want to get it converted it to Single permit. Can i do it from here only or i need to go to home country to do it, seems there are new rules post 2020 but i read somewhere it says that Blue card holders are exempted 

@madhav.brussels :

Dependent of a Single permit, Freelance / Professional card holder can work as an employee without a work permit. Depedent of a Single permit, Freelance / Professional card holder can apply for an indepedent work permit.

Depedent of a Freelance card holder can work via the company of the freelancer.

A freelancer can switch contract within a day. The freelancer can work on multiple contracts or can stay in Belgium without a contract.

Depedent of a PR/Belgium national can work as an employee / a freelancer without a work permit.

A bluecard holder can not work as a freelancer or setup a company (as far as I know). This is a very big disadvantage.