New member introduction

Hi, my name is Rich. I am planning on moving to Panama this fall. I spent a month there when I was in the Air Force and loved it and always wanted to go back (I even wrote a song about it!). Now, I am planning on moving there in order to retire and be able to live comfortably on my VA pension. I am reasonably fluent in Spanish having attended the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA and have previously made visits to Spain and Nicaragua. Can't wait!

Hello ,

I have lived in Panama since 2001.  As you likely know "costs of living" are highly variable based on how each of us define comfortable.   What I have found living here is that costs of many "things" are not that different from what you would pay in many areas of the US.  There is a 7% sales tax on everything except food.  (10% sin tax on alcohol. )  What is lower priced is typically labor and property taxes.   The biggie as with anywhere is where and what you want to live in.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I remember from my visit to Nicaragua that some things were actually more expensive there than here (i.e. electronics). So, I don't expect everything to be "bargain-basement" prices. I suppose if that is what I was looking for I would look elsewhere. But I live rather simply and am as much interested in enjoying the lifestyle as I am looking for a low cost-of-living. Quality of life v. quantity of possessions in other words. I look forward to chatting with more of you and learning as much as possible before I go so that I am as prepared as I can be. Cheers!

Rich

Well, now you can check out some prices online by Google.

Grocery Stores
Super99 Panama or Riba-Smith Panama

Electronics
Panafoto

and Central Americas' Costco

PriceSmart

great info. thanks, again!

Please keep updates on your new adventure

Will do.

Hello, my name is INDY and I was stationed at Howard AFB and Albrook from 1988 to 1994. next year I plan on moving to Panama in a  semi-retirement way. But as they always say; location, location.  location is everything, explore the country and find what fits you. determine why you want to make Panama your home. is it for weather, money, lifestyle, a wife, climate, culture, or escape.  it may be a combination of all the above. but answering these questions will help you find a place that suits you..

Good advice, thanks. Yeah, I was at Howard TDY in 1986. Had a ball!

Hi there,
Im planning  moving to Panama and my first step to do so is like some of.you recommended is to choose the location that suits my needs and that is the point.  I dont know where to start. I am looking more close to the beach and tourism area since I would search for jobs in this area however I wouldn't mind to work as a housekeep or nanny while I adjust to the new life.
Besides encuebtra24 ,where do I can check a shared condo  or properties ?
Spanish is my first lenguaje so Iit would be easier for me to ask around but I rather souls like to hear it from you bceause some of you are already there.
Thank you in advance.