Setting up utilities services in CR

Hi all!

I'll am finishing building my house in Osa (15 miles north of from Puerto Jimenez). Will arrive in August. My concern is setting up services, such hydro, water, internet.
I've opened a corporation having been advised that it'd be easier to setup all utilities for a corporation.
What companies provide hydro, water and internet services?
What is the process for arranging them?
In Canada and the US it is easy and straightforward but maybe not in Costa Rica.
The builder offers help to act through him but I have a reason to avoid this, as I need to know what I am paying for.
Any advise is highly appreciated.

I have never heard that it is 'easier to setup all utilities for a corporation.' Or even putting utilities into a C.A...apart from adding a land line phone so that it could be 'willed' to another party.

Yeas ago, expats were often advised by lawyers to set up a C.A. costing sometimes thousands of $$$$ but actually, many expats cancelled their corporations, due to high annual fees associated with them

Yes, I paid a lot trusting.. I was told it it'll make things easier. Maybe it was a mistake. I'll cancel it in 6 months, as CR taxes even inactive corporations.

But do you NEED a corporation as a non resident to arrange utilities or is it possible to do this by using your own name/passport??

You don't need to be a residency to get utilities here
If you are renting the electric will always be in the property owners  name you just use the Account # when paying monthly at a store
Cable you get in your name using a passport and pay monthly at a store
Water and sewer is in owners name and usually included in the rent

Utilities here are on the expensive side so be prepared for sticker shock

I'll be oweing the property, not renting. So, I don't want the middle man like a builder to provide the services. I intend to approach to utility companies and set the services up. If it was the central vally it would be easy but my place is far at Osa. I'll just need to know the companies and figure out how to contact them.

Hi JBuonopane12,
What about if the property is on my name. Can I arrange utilities ( electricity/internet) as a non-resident?

In our last residence where we rented, the electricity  was in my spouses name, and then mine.

How to physically arrange it in this country? Come in person, over the phone or online? Being totally new to this world I need details.

Most rentals here the electric is typically left in property owners name
If you are buy property then the electric and cable/internet and water. Will go in your name
Even if you are using the tourist visa

You can do in person at a local office or call on phone
Just be prepared to speak Spanish or play Waldo trying to find  English  speaking rep
Cable you will need to schedule an appointment for install
Your passport will be find in setting up service, here utilities do not require credit checks or deposits

You will encounter most issues with the communication barrier when setting up services

Thank you. I'll be using my fresh, crippled Spanish. As far as I know, Kolbi has internet monopoly, what are the companies in charge of electricity and water? I'll find out where their offices in Puerto Jimenez and come in person. Doing it on the phone in Spanish will be too much. I can say what I need but won't understand due to lack of practice.

For electricity hook up and other services, it is ICE for most of the country but maybe not for your location. For water, possibly AyA...but please, don't count on my response to answer all your concerns.

Yes ICE is king pin on the electric pretty much entire CR
Ice also owns Kolbi which is Cable/ internet and. cell
You have Tigo, moviestar, Claro as other Cable and internet providers
Most cable channels are in Spanish so might make sense to purchase a smart TV here and just do streaming such as Netflix and prime rather than pay $80  a month for tv channels you can't understand

Water/sewer is AyA and I think Jutta

Thank you all! Very useful. TV isn't my concern, I've stopped watching it 22 years ago. There are more rewarding activities in life than watching this box.