Living in Heredia

Hi, my name is Margi. I am 71 years young - will be 72 in December. I plan to visit the Central Valley/Heredia area in March, 2023 to determine if I want to live there. Any suggestions, advice is welcome.

Hello Margi,

Welcome to expat.com!

I hope our members are able to provide you with some insights soon.

In the meantime, why don't you have a look at the Living in Costa Rica guide for expats?

This guide contains a lot of information concerning the different aspects of life in Costa Rica. You might find it helpful1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@margih3

Hi Margie

Nice that SOME intelligent people know that the beauty and mild weathered LUSH LUSH .  easy accessable area of Heredia exists.!

I have lived here over30 years, after trying almost every place in Costa Rica before choosing mt 3 acre

'piece of Heaven as it is called.MY CHARMING little hobby farm with VIEWS OF THE CENRAL VALLEY AND THE MOUNTAINS is truly awesome..

pure tranquility yet literally 5 minutes from everything you need..AND YES we even have PIZZA AND FOOD DELIVERY to our piece of paradise, .schools and charming cafe less than a stones throw away .NO I AM NOT SELLING IT OR ANY PART OF IT

Although when i get around to advertising. it i do have 3 charming furnished . rentals.under 500 month. rents haven't raised in 25 years..but i am particular and not looking for the Gringo party crowd,,,,,oh did i say i was 82 years young

and all that socialiizng and partying is well behind me ,although i am still up for a good British belly laugh and occassional visits from friends. HAVING A bus stop in front of my FARMETTE IS A BIG HELP, O AND 2 convenience stores on our road is a plus..what more can i say but come on down and see for yourself..MANY ON THIS SITE ARE OBLIVIOUS OF HEREDIA named " The city of the flowers...AND EX CAPITAL but very different from ugly Pollutes dangerous San JOSE just 25 minutes away..id i mention that we are CLOSER To the SJO International airport than ugly SAN jose..when i was open and young enough to run my well known COUNTRY lodge ,It took people a while to realize that there was no need to stay their 1st nd last nights inSan Jose because Heredia even in our hills is closer. NOW HW DO YOU FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY CHALET AND APTS / mmmm I dropped from this site when they did just that..made it so darn difficult to leave our contact numbers..why? I have no clue when we are here to help newcomers.. I GUESS YOU CAN TRY to see if my old profile is still there and PM me. again i am contact message or i forget to pop in DUH SORRY FLOLKS..i was nicknamed PEBBS , pebbs Pebbalitaor pebs... that or heck the also less vites FB debbie KANE..I could be a great help to you Margie IF you can locate me..i know he best dr's lawyers, scholls, restaurants and fabulous Shopping mall 15 minutes away..whew thats all for now i hope you find me,We are a similar age group and we may make good friends.Anyway I would love to help !

As i say i AM RARELY HERE SO WILL TIE A STRING to my finger to remind me to pop in here , and maybe put n ad to help newbies find inexpensive safe furn places to get settled while they pick my brain for free and check other areas ..usually to dash write back here. i suddenly realized why so few people our aware of THE HEREDIA and its gorgeous mountain and city views..thats because many BRAINWASHED newbies are told to get out of the AIRPORT turn right in a taxi..and go flying passed the Heredia area on the way to their GRINGO Gulches ..pity they choose the over crowded expensive ..

less charming ,more robberies areas..why ? because they like robots have been programmed to do so hehe..good luck i hope you find me type areas ..like ATENES  and surrounding areas..BORING , rarely here so it would e great if as other sites have done and added a email saying that we have a PM in this once great site.. i miss the old crowd and hope you are all alive and well..CHEERS..

(private message)if you do not get this i may try posting it on FB to help some floundering newcomers...

Hi Pebs and thank you for responding! I am so happy to hear from someone in the Heredia area! Congrats to you for having been there for so long!  I look forward to learning as much as possible before my visit. Whatever information you can share about living in or near Heredia is very welcome and much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Blessings,

Margi

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have put aside 2 commercial posts from this thread. Please be informed that advertising is not allowed on the forum. Members who are also professionals and want to offer their services should register in the business directory or contact the advertising department for tailor-made solutions.

Let us get back to the initial topic now : Living in Heredia.

all the very best,

Bhavna

@margih3  hi margie

remember to contact me when you have a firm date of arrival in costa rica.. as much as i try helping people i am VERY busy and cannot possiblely respond to those who are till browsing...yes we do get busy also here..let me know when you are near to arrival

Cheers

Debbie extrapetsATthe g thing to reach me

Hi margie,

I live in San Jeronemo way east of Heredia. Googlemaps Images are a great way to get an impression of an area. As a starting point there(!) checkout "Rancho Sacramento" and zoom out and look at all the green in the area <3 I recommend at least talking a walk there, it's mostly farm land with cows grazing in the endless green.

In regards to Heredia area I lived not too far away from "Bosque de la Hoja" north east of Heredia, but the weather is constantly changing up there (micro climates) minute by minute, I sat in the sun and suddenly it's freezing cold and you get engulfed in fog. (Mind you I'm not talking about Heredia itself here!) The forests are absolutely beautiful in the right weather though. If you consider that area, I recommend not going higher into the mountains than Barva, it's still very nice down there.

HI olaf this is DEBORAH  sorry it took me a while to get back to you as mentioned i rarely go into the site lately...its restrictions on helping by contacting people got too crazy..no  online addys allowed .true Heredia is  a huge canton and has of late

(ALSO THE WORLD ) many different climates. ours is better than  Barva.

We Concepcion de San RAFAEL de HEREDIA..IS AN UPSCALE NOT SNOOTY BUT CHARMING COUNTRY-LIKE yet minutes from quaint villages and are just under 400 meters..often sunny mornings but a bit cooler at night..USED TO BE a lot sunnier but NEVER as cold as Cartargo NOR unbearably HOT like our not so clean beaches.

we are on 3 enclosed electric gated quinta (hobby Farm ) YET 5 minutes from most things needed and close enough to have pizza and regular food delivered....i maybe able IF you wish allow you as a volunteer in your own private apt. if you help with my 4 lovable rescued mutts..and do the occasional honey do thing...

in any case say hello and we can at least be friends.Maybe on occassion i can re practice my german ...please contact me by phone if allowed I THINK it is on my profile as pebs and you ? Cheers Deb/pebs i wont put number i think its on my pebbs or pebs  profile

cheers

Deborah/ pebs

Can you contact me directly?  I am a handyman.  I diagnos problems for most cost effective repairs.  I do installations, painting, drywall, stucco and the list goes on.  I cook and clean.  I lived in Germany for several years in the US Army 1988-1990.  My last name as you know is German.  I speak some German and I am willing to learn more.  I also speak some Spanish. 

Please look me up on Facebook

@margih3  HI MARGIE SORRY I AM SO LATE IN RESPONDING BUT I RARELY COME HERE THESE DAYS SINE THEY DO NOT ALLOW US TO CONTACTEACH OTHER VIA EMAL I GAVE UP AND MY REBT ADS ARE ALWAYS  REJECTED FOR NO REASON THAT I SEE I GUESS ITS A GRUGDE SHAME ON THEM BECAUSE I RECIEVED LOTS OF THANKS FRPM SO MANY PEOPE WHEN I WAS ALOOWED TO PM ..OH MY..ANYWAYIF YOU CHECK MY PROFILE PEBS I MAY STILL HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER FREE LONG DISTANCE CALLED WHATSAPP .. # MAY .MAYBE STILL ON MY PROFILE ..GOOD LUCK AD I HOPE YOU SETLE INHEREDIA ONE OF THE BEST -PLACES I TRIED ALL OVER CR...MORE IF YOU ARE ABLE TOCONTACT ME IF NOT ALL THE BEST TO YOU ..PEBS OR DEBBIE

@margih3  i hope you managed to contactme on this sectret sit if not Good luck I would have loved to have met someone closer to my age ..Cheeers and YEP Go for Heredia if you lovethe greenery and home like feeling.

Cheers

pebs (if I still have a profile ..Debbie if not...

@Jeffrey Feder  are you talking to me ?/Pebs Debbie Kane on FB bit rarely there ...You a doggy person I have 4 lovable mutts I think you already emailed me if not I will do the FB thing

Sorry no.  Not used to how this site streams.

I love dogs as well.   I have one very cute black chihuahua.

@pebs I love dogs

I am a handyman and cook

@margih3 HI MARGI i don't think my message went through so here i go again . i have lived in Heredia ABOUT 30 YEARS after spending a month or two in many places allover Costa Rica;I thought I wanted the beaches BUT UGH after living a year in Barbados with Gorgeous White sand heavenly beaches and rarely Scorching hot and never dirty which alas Most of ours here are BOTH..I decided that Heredia is my place to live, on a 3 acre piece of semi paradise..There IS NO SUCH THING ON this earth anyway..piece of HEAVEN MAYBE... So. I OPENED A SO CALLED " HOBBY " AS A LODGE WHICH AS MY CAFE IN HOLLYWEIRD BECAME VERY SUCCESSFUL and took off like a Rocket for 12 years and full houses or chalets were in demand .BUT until Covid I was a workaholic ..now ... so here I am...And cannot believe how fast the years flew.I have been an (accidental entrepreneur posing as a retired elderly person )

In any case Maybe you would like to have a few of my stories so for sure look me up or PM IF my PROFILE IS STILL HERE UNDER NAME pebs OR PEBBS OR P AND COME PICK MY BRAIN ITS FREE NOW LOL. we are for some odd reason not allowed to give our addys so look at my profile you maybe lucky enough , or unlucky enough as the case manybe ,to find me ..and if allowed I maybe able to help you

Good Luck if not

Pebs or Debbie Kane or King (once married and Once a well known singer/actress the good old days..LOL Good luck either way and yes I love Heredia ..sure beats the all inclusive joints so said many ex clients ..I closed my chalets for the fear of Covid

.oopsI had a senior moment I think I already responded to Margi LOL DUH

Best wishes and Merry Christmas

Debbie or pebs

@Jeffrey Feder  Damn you sound like an ex employee of mine..I will try But I may be still have a profile with details ..contact dunno never allowed  on PM as Pebs or pebs I think if not try FB

Cheers

Debbie Kane

@Jeffrey Feder  do you work in return for free living LOL have help (I THINK

Debbie Kane

@pebs

This site is run by Gestapo

@margih3 hard to tell on this WAY outdated site grrr many of us waste valuable time trying to help people who poste d10 years ago..I wish SOMEONE with 2 ounses of common sense will get rid of ANCIENT  POSTS..My hubby could do itin 30 minutes or less..but he is in England right now...

and of course PM does not work..as well as other things SIGH is it any wonder I am     the only person on the site..LOST an Urgent repsponse to my desperate need for help..from lady in England CAN ANYBODY FIND IT. ???

i got a qick message from an admin who said they had moved ot to JOBS from Volunteers BUT I cannot see it anyware ..was this urgent help needed DELETED >>>> I DID NOT PUT MY PHONE OR EMAIL..WHICH SHOULD BE ALLOWED WE HAVE SAID FR YEARS ..THATS WHY ALL US GOOD HELPERS DROPPED OUT OF HERE  SIGH..

@Yoginee do you have one for Guanacaste region? Tamarindo, Playa Grande?

@Saggaboy hahaha Gestapo//perfect LMAO ..

@margih3  hi Margie oh dear I DON'T KNOW WHEHER OR NOT YOU ARE here OR THERE...ON THIS SITEI  could be answering to a post made thousands of years ago..well it is written in hyrogliphics    NEVER COULD SPELL THAT WORD..WELL ONCE I DID...no spell check here,OBVIOUSLY  but i am sure you get the gist.. i see  the PM ..(private messages) it not working..what else is new lol..and   it is a mortal SIN  to post our addies or

'fone"  numbers lol ..try responding by writing with airplane messages in the sky..that should be fun...hope somehow we touch base..until then i will continue  towatch fun re runs of matchgame .a riot i just saw myself as a contestant haha a thousand years ago. if i had known i was THAT cute i may have made other use for a living...bye for now this will probably be deleted but anyway fun scribbling it..cheers

PEBBS...THEY GAVE ME A NEW NICK ..FOR NAUGHTY MAYBE.....

@Bhavna

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY ..SLAP THEIR WRISTS....LMAO

@margih3 oops sorry margi i added an e to your name ,but i see that you added a nh3 yes ???

@pebs  if anyone wants to see how i looked 50 or so years ago check out MATCHGAME74 EPISODE 1 and 178..Debbie KNG in those days..if you dont find it in mid tape it is worth watching that show of many years ago is STILL funnier than what we see today..have a peek....77 I THINK its 177 mid tape....I MAY HAVE TO CHECK .

@Laura Spiers ONE WHAT ? LOL

@pebs

Hi Pebs. I have been out of the loop for awhile. I'm still interested in visiting, hopefully THIS year.

Hope all is well with you and that you are still enjoying life in CR.

Margi