Visiting Cucuta

Has anyone ever been to cucuta? My friend lives in cucuta. Me and her are planning a trip to Santa Marta in September for a week and she wants me to go with her to cucuta for a week. So I can meet her family and best friend. How is it in cucuta? Is it safe to visit? What areas should I avoid?

Juan from Miami here. I went to the same "state" in March and had a great time. Cúcuta has developed a bit of a bad reputation among us Colombians since the Venezuelan crisis, but the region has beautiful and fun things to do. I HIGHLY recommend the valley town of Barichara

I know Colombia very well but I have not been to Cucuta.  I would stay away from going there at the present time.  Crime is at an all time high in that area because of the political/economic situation in Venezuela and the Covid pandemic.  The danger also depends on how much you look like a foreigner, if you look latin you are less likely to be victimized, if you look very gringo it will be more dangerous for you.

I met a young woman from Venezuela on Facebook and after much communication with her I decided to meet up with her to get to know her better.
Since not able to get a visa in her country we decided to meet in Cucuta, November of 2019. Because of the covid, border closure and protests I have not returned but planning hopefully by September.
I was there for two weeks, found it to be inexpensive taxi and restaurants. As in all
Countries I stayed low keyed and watch my surroundings. I found Cucuta to be nice and had a good time with my friend. The only thing I didn't like and was not used to is the motorcycles hundreds of them cutting us off smh and careful trying to cross the street. Now, I was not too worried there being that I'm Puerto Rican and speak Spanish.

Laker4115 wrote:

Crime is at an all time high in that area because of the political/economic situation in Venezuela and the Covid pandemic...

If you look very gringo it will be more dangerous for you.

Barichara -- linked above by Juan D. -- is a bit out of the way .. 99 miles from Cúcuta.  Still, Juan is on the right track.

If I were in the OP's position, I'd avoid trouble -- spelled C-Ú-C-U-T-A -- and stay in a place similar to Barichara, maybe closer to the city .. where crime is low, the pandemic isn't out of hand, nor are the crazy moto enthusiasts.  Invite the friends and family to drive, say, half an hour to your lodging or resort for a fiesta.

Colombia is complicated enough.  No Gringos need to spend a full week visiting a city on the Venezuela frontera during an ongoing pandemic where g*d-knows-what is spilling across the border on any given day.

cccmedia