Hello

Hi all, my name is Mark. I moved to Romania in April 2011. I'm looking for contacts/friends/work.

Hi Mark,

What line of work are you in?

Hi Maykal, I'm a qualified engineer and teacher. But I'll consider anything.

Hello Ghosthunter & welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will help you.

I may suggest you the participative guide Life in Romania, it may contain useful articles.

Harmonie.:)

Hi Mark,

I think without knowing Romanian it'll be pretty hard to land a job with a mech eng company here, unless you are already employed by one back in the UK and are sent over on detachment. I don't know Campina well but I doubt there are many firms there who would need to employ a foreigner.

Your best bet might be to look for a faculty of mech eng and try them. They may have courses offered in English and might be interested in a teacher. Also in a town which has such a faculty you'd probably be able to top up your income by offering private tuition in the subject and/or in English language with a focus on mechanical engineering terms, helping students with projects, and stuff like that.

Here is a list of Mech Eng Unis in Romania:

University of Transylvania (Brasov)
University Politehnica (Bucharest)
Ovidius University (Constanta)
Stefan Cel Mare Uni (Suceava)
University of Petrosani (Petrosani)
University Petrol-Gaze (Ploiesti)
University of Pitesti (Pitesti)
University Tehnica (Cluj-Napoca)
University 'Lucian Blaga' (Sibiu)

There are probably a few more. The closest to you are Brasov (about 40 miles north) and Ploiesti (25 miles south). Taking a look at their sites, I see that the one in Brasov has an automotive engineering course in English.

Your best bet might be Universiitatea Politehnica in Bucharest. They have a specific department called 'The Faculty of Engineering in Foreign Languages' (FILS) which is geared towards foreigners studying in Romania or Romanians intending to work or study further abroad. Their site is FILS. Obviously, you might have to consider moving to the capital to work there.

Most of the sites are in Romanian but I suppose you have moved here to be with someone so she can probably help you navigate the sites.

:one

Thanks very much for the info Maykal, I'll check them out.

hi every one. Învat abia acum limba româna. but am learning all by myself and i need some friends to chat with in romanian so as to improve my romanian.I am actually in France.am at ease with both english and french.

Hello Mark,

have you found work in Romania yet?  I am a process engineer, currently living in South Africa and seriously considering moving to Romania, at least for a few years.  I've been learning to speak the language for a while, still a long way to go, but loving it.

Hope to hear from you.

Rene

i live now in romania and you can actually find a job without any romanian in one of the mustinationals, i beleive. I only able to order lunch and manage with taxi-driver in romanian. In bigger cities people speak english and at work i only speak english

Privet Alisichka!

Are you really from Kiev? I just moved to Bucharest from there and I absolutely love the place and the vodka :-)
I really want to go back and see my friends there but even though it's so close it is so expensive!
DO you know of any cheap flights etc? Or any place that sells Nemiroff?