Renting before we buy

Hello,

We're hoping to buy a small property at the end of next year.

We haven't decided exactly where yet and would like to spend time exploring the region before making a decision. We don't have a big budget so we need to get this purchase right.

We've been thinking that rather than taking holiday next year we could rent somewhere cheap and cheerful on a 6 month let so we can use the time to look round.

We're complete novices, and not even sure if we can do this with coming from the UK.

Could anyone offer any advice please as it'd be really appricated..🙂

Hi.    You do not show your nationality.  If you are a U.K. national you can only spend a maximum of 90 days in 180 days in the Schengen area unless you obtain a visa.

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Yes, I'm from the UK and have updated my profile.

We were thinking of using the rental for the odd weekend and school hols April-Sept, just thought it could cost a little more than renting school hol weeks but we could leave our stuff there to avoid silly baggage costs on the plane.

It'd also be there if we needed to go over to sign docs etc if we find somewhere..

Hi.   I suggest you think really carefully before you decide to buy.

Having lived in spain 34 years.   I tell friends that unless they are buying with the intention of moving here permanently, or they have money to burn, think again.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice..🙂

It's a huge decision and it's one we'll make after considering all options.

Would you say it's worth renting somewhere for a bit first?

In my opinion, in almost all circumstances,  renting is the best course.

Thanks for your advice..