Short Stay Schengen Visa extention

Hello,

I've extended my stay in Spain for another 90 days due to medical reasons.

After my 90 day extension, which started on 03/21/21, when would I be able to re-enter any Schengen area again?

Please advise!

Thank you,

Ana

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I suspect the answer to your question is your visa is valid 90 days in a 180-day period of time, so you would have to leave the EU for 180 days before you could return.  You aren't allowed to country hop. 

I've called it a visa, but that's not a good description because your information states you're a US citizen, there are special arrangements for you guys, this link will take you straight to an EU website with the details.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Country hop is not allowed within the Eu. But now the UK is not part of the EU, so if you stayed in the UK as a tourist for more than 180 days, maybe it could work. I wish you luck. This is an expensive excercise.

asartori wrote:

Country hop is not allowed within the Eu. But now the UK is not part of the EU, so if you stayed in the UK as a tourist for more than 180 days, maybe it could work. I wish you luck. This is an expensive excercise.

That's a good call; there are quite a few countries that allow visa-free travel for US citizens.

Thank you for your wisdom! Much appreciated!

I guess my real question is when would the 180 day count start? Would it be from the 1st day of my short stay visa extension?

Thank you,

Ana

Ana Carolina Fujihara wrote:

Thank you for your wisdom! Much appreciated!

I guess my real question is when would the 180 day count start? Would it be from the 1st day of my short stay visa extension?

Thank you,

Ana

Erm - no, it would start from the day you leave.  So you would have spent the 180 days "elsewhere" before you could return.  Alternatively, you could apply for a visa in Spain and not have to leave at all.  I don't know how that works as Spain is not a country I'm familiar with beyond generalities.

I had to stay out of Schengen (not exactly EU but almost) in order to stay under 90 days. I would highly recommend Croatia and Montenegro!! Very affordable, very beautiful, very nice restaurants and beaches. I would definitely much prefer those countries to the UK