Living far away from your parents when they are old

Dear expats in Cambodia,

I come to a period of my life when I see my mother getting old and on my side
I would like to return to Cambodia for a long term in a few years.
My father passed away several years ago.

I am launching this topic of discussion to you expats who live in Cambodia and who live
thousands of miles from your parents. How do you deal with this situation?
Don't you fear that one day you will have to return to your country? and having to struggle to find
a job and be there to take care of them . It would not be a burden to take care of
my mother, but I think in particular that I would not yet be retired and I had such a hard time finding a job back from Cambodia  last year that I do not know what to think, what is your philosophy or your experience?
And of course when you return to your country you must quit your job in Cambodia and leave everything behind you. Of course we can't anticipate how our parents will be in the future
and I find it not easy to plan to return to Cambodia while she is alive.

My concern is more about finding a job, taking care of my mother is something normal. It's each our turn to take care of our own.

Thank you for your comments !

It's a matter of your own conscience I think.

Depending on the age and health of your mother you have to decide if it is ethically correct to leave her alone. Of course things are different when there are siblings that take care of her.

Flying back home is not the problem, the problem gets bigger when you have to stay in your country for longer time.

So ask yourself how important it is to go to live in Cambodia and leave your mother alone. Remember you got only one mother, one day she will be gone and the worst thing that could happen is that she passes away without you, you will regret it terribly so maybe it's just better to not go too far away from your mother or even not go away at all.

I wish you strength with your decision.

Joe

Thank you Joekhmer for your comment. Difficult decision of course. How about your parents and your situation ? How long have you been living in Cambodia ?

I have been living here for 6 years now, after 8 years in Thailand.

My parents were already deceased so that was not a point of consideration.

Cheers

Joe