Leaving Istanbul with an expired Resident card

My friend who is residing in Istanbul has to travel abroad urgently. He made a renewal application for his Ikamet around five months back, till date he hasn't received his resident card. In case he embarks, will he be allowed to re-enter Turkey in the absence of a resident card ?

Hi, Zill.
I've been told that, for first time applicants, if your application is already being processed (like, added to the system and not just queued), you can request a leave of two weeks. If possible, he should check with them directly, and since it's a renewal more lenient rules could apply.

Thanks for your reply, actually its the third renewal, while he also owns a property here. Some one told my friend that he could possibly get a letter from the immigration office at the airport for re-entry..I don't think it sounds doable.

Maybe the letter they're referring to is the same permission I've been told about. Hopefully, someone else here can share first-hand experience, or, better yet, the immigration office can clear this up and grant him the letter. He's been waiting so long. Best of luck to him!