Vaccines required in Colombia

Hello everybody,

When living or moving abroad, and in particular in Colombia, vaccination against certain diseases is often required to enter the country or to avoid risks.

We would like to ask you a few questions to help future expats there.

What is your relationship to vaccines in general?

Did you get vaccinated before moving to Colombia?
Were these vaccinations compulsory or recommended?

Did you refuse to get any vaccine that was recommended for Colombia? If so, why?

If you are an expatriate in Colombia, are you encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine? Do you have access to the vaccine and do you plan to get it?

Is this vaccine required for entering the country now?

Many thanks,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

The only person that will take the vaccine is an ignorant bafoon!

My understanding according to the alcadia of Medellin, is that the vaccination is voluntary!

AgroSurAmerica wrote:

The only person that will take the vaccine is an ignorant bafoon!

Presumably, this poster is referring to one of the covid vaccines which are deemed 95 percent effective in preventing covid and-or preventing infected persons from needing hospitalization.

----

Obviously, opinions vary as to whether getting vaccinated against covid is a good idea.

Calling vaxing proponents ignorant buffoons, however, is not a good idea.  As posted, this characterization is meaningless as it offers no reason to avoid vaccination .. and contains no shred of constructive criticism.

As the Dude said in The Big Lebowski, "That's just like your opinion, man."

I have received my first shot and feel great about it.

Diksha, generally speaking, no vaccines are required to enter Colombia. The covid vaccine is not required either. It only started to become available this week. Some parts may require a malaria vaccination though.

A university professor has published an article in The Atlantic (online) magazine stating that the media and public health messaging have understated the miracle of the covid vaccines.

Associate professor Zeynep Tufekci of the University of North Carolina also writes that the media have overstated the threat of covid variants.

Tufekci's article, titled Five Pandemic Mistakes We Keep Repeating, is accessible at www.theatlantic.com

She is also a faculty associate at Harvard University.

Hi,
Received my first vaccine two weeks ago in UK and should get my second jab in a month or so, As a near 70 yo person, so glad I had it

CCCMedia - Thanks for sharing that article. The Atlantic has done some very good reporting during the pandemic.

I do not forsee forced medications for expats in Colombia. If that ever happens I will leave, promptly.

How about the up the butt Covid test that China is doing on all foreigners including diplomats.

Laker4115 wrote:

How about the up the butt Covid test that China is doing on all foreigners....

The covid anal swabs are required of arriving Expats, not foreigners already inside China's borders, according to my research.

China officially says the swabs are more effective for testing for covid positivity than other testing methods.

I am not personally taking a position on China's decision to do this testing.  According to a Times UK report summarized by the New York Post, the government of Japan has complained to the Chinese about the swab tests, saying they cause mental anguish to Japanese citizens arriving in China.

www.nypost.com

cccmedia

Some aeas  theoretically require Malaria and Yellow fever, but I have been to those parts of Colombia, and there is n one enforcing it

China, and Venezuela are 2 countries NOT to go to at this time , espescially for Canadians even more than US people

CCC
Maybe its a sort of revenge for Unit 713 in WW2

This thread is for the discussion of vaccines in Colombia.

The Home Office is reviewing an individual poster's attempt to troll this thread by flooding the zone with anti-vaxxer conspiracy theories.  The effort has included a misrepresentation of Tony Robbins' work.  His site, tonyrobbins.com, backs the Centers For Disease Control guidance that recommends proven vaccine protocols.

cccmedia, expat.com experts team

The last time that we visited Colombia we heard that yellow fever vaccination was required to travel to Guajira.  The shots were available at the Bogota airport but we were informed that they had to be given 10 prior to travel to offer protection.  My husband and I have had both doses of Moderna Covid vaccines.  Will be investigating whether to get yellow fever for free at El Dorado next time we enter Colombia as it will be cheaper than getting it for $200-300+ at a travel clinic in the US.  Once vaccinated, yellow fever protection lasts 10 years.