Great Canadian Communities in the Mountains

Hello All,
I'm hoping you can help. I'm in my late 50's, recently separated and looking to live the next part of my life to the fullest. I'm thinking Costa Rica fits the bill perfectly! I've heard the mountain region offers a nice temperate climate-not too hot, not too much rain…. Just trying to get a handle on a few communities to look at. I'm interested in buying either a house or possibly a condo and living close to like-minded Canadians seems appealing. Like everyone else today, good Wi-Fi is a necessity and not too too far from the city for periodic shopping. Close to good golfing would be a plus as well.
Any suggestions?

I have a Casa at Eco lagarto it is a community of people from all over Canada it is not in the mountains. It's by Playa Lagarto I am also from Canada. I find weather her way more appealing as the mountains it does rain alot and it is very very humid. If you interested I can send you more info.

Yes just what Costa Rica needs more a/holes driving prices up so natural borns live more poorly. Stay in canada you're not very well thought of here.

Just make sure to stay way from Herbert L's locale as I doubt you would want him as a neighbour...

Anyway, never heard of a specific 'Canadian Community in the mountains' in CR.  Oops, just remembered this development that some other forum members live in, along with some other Canadian that may 'fit the bill.'

Suggest you read up on the basics of living in CR, then visit the areas you are interested in.  Cartago  or Turrialba may suit you and there may be a golf course around there, although I can no longer find it,  as golf isn't a popular activity...and not cheap as they are usually associated with the big resorts at the beach.

A list of Costa Rica's golf courses.   Valley de Sol used to be popular with Canadians.

Also suggest you read up on being 'a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes.'

Rocket man, I am considering renting an acreage or small farm in CR to research my preferred lifestyle there. Coming from Alberta where it is -34*C at 10 am, avoiding excessive cold or heat is a priority.  I have spent several  winters visiting CR but would like to chat with other Canadians re their experiences. Can you help?

Herbert, I'm assuming your life is quite miserable at the moment to want to call someone you don't know an a/hole. Being Canadian, you obviously know I'm not the guy that stole your girlfriend from you. Maybe a Canadian looked at you the wrong way so now you have it out for us. Not sure, we tend to be pretty nice people. Perhaps you will be happier when you move to the Philippines. Have a good life.

Thanks Rocket, I'll definitely check out Eco Lagarto.
Interesting what you said about the mountains being more humid. That makes sense. The way I had heard it was the west side was quite hot and the East side was rainy and humid. I just heard that the mountains didn't get too hot. I definitely need to read up on all these different microclimates. Any info you could send would be much appreciated.

Oh my !!! Do your homework. 7 different life zones .. hundreds of micro climates.
Maybe Ciudad Colon or Atenas ... 30 minutes or less to Los Reyes golf course. Maybe live in Los Reyes. The least rain in CR is 2 meters ... and that is west coast by Nicaraguan border. Mostly Sept Oct up in Guanacaste as the big rain event.

Rather than I explain every rainfall average in every area .. do your homework. Come for 3 months and stay at 6 different locals for a couple of weeks each.

Herb L .... wow -- I am speechless. CR welcomes all comers. Then it weeds out the ones who shouldn't be here. I have an expression ... Costa Rica is not for everyone -- thank goodness.

I've also separated, just purchased a land at peninsula de Osa, 20 km north of Puerto Jimenez. Begin building a custom house with the builder I know (he is an architect from Costa Rican, who lived in Toronto, Canada for 25 years). I was there last year and decided on that location, far from tourists and close to nature and I like it. It is not a mountainous area (not far from Corcovado national park).
They still have three lots left in this gated community, 1 mile from the ocean. Price is about 1K for a sq meter plus around 17K - 20K for the lot (depends on the size). I plan to move there this year (I am also a Canadian). If you wish I can provide the details.
CR is a nice country but not cheap. Canada is no longer Canada I used to know.

Wow dude!!  Are you off your meds or should you be on some?  People are only looking for advice.  I  hope more Canadians move down there.

Hi Henrych ... I pioneered Osa Pen property as a surfer in the 1990's. I have lived and CR since 1976 -- pioneering the early days with a few others. You are probably in Vans development. For all of you who TRUELY WANT TO GET AWAY FROM IT ALL - Henrych's area and The Osa is a possibility. But there aren't any Walmarts or Malls or even hospitals close by and this is really OFF THE GRID living.

Yes, Steve, you've got the point. I don't need Walmart and malls. Puerto Jimenez has a couple of supermarkets, banks and other needed stuff. The Ocean is close. Golfo Dulce is quiet. Besides, buying food locally has advantage. The local girls like gringos. In this crazy world I hope, this should be just to retire, maintain the peace of mind and to do some writing. Phone, internet and electricity are there.

Watch out !! The most dangerous thing for us gentlemen are the CR women. Especialy the country girls. Seriously. Go talk to Van or Andy out on Matapalo. Great guys and long time CR veterans. Say hi to them for me.

Thanks for the advice, Steve :) Who are Van and Andy and how to find them? I'd be happy to connect with them. The 70 years old Canadian gentleman in the new community, who moved there 6 months ago, has just married 32 year old local girl. Crazy.. So, I guess you are right.

There are so many options- busy, quiet and quaint.  I personally love the Nicoya Peninsula and Atenas was gorgeous.  You will find many communities here to become part of, do your due diligence and build a support group of like mindeds.  You can find whatever you're looking for here and forums are a great way to get detailed knowledge.  I also recommend that you follow or become part of http://www.arcr.cr/ which will assist you in your transition.  Good Luck!

Henry
            Crazy thing is I just found a remote area in the mountains located in Puriscal La Palma  the guys who bought the land and developed it are two Canadian guys from the Oil drilling business
It's a piece of heaven and them temps and view are insane.  They have a group of Canadians living here even Americans shit even two of us New York Italians
It's not a huge development about 25 homes spaced apart , they have like 6 lots left
Gated community With pool and clubhouse fruit trees through out the development
Downfall is they are still on DSL but I am looking into Satellite.  Definitely is off the beaten path but only 1 1/2 hour drive to Escazu or San Jose 1 hour from beach
FYI. Roads are definitely rough and these bike riders in the tight costumes are driving me insane when driving they are a major obstacle without hitting and getting life in prison. They think they own the roads

Am I the only one bothered by they guys and girls on the roadways which are already impossible to navigate

I agree with Steve on the CR women I myself am divorced dialing in at 54 years old. I gave tinder a spin here and WOW... I felt like I was the only guy in CR I had 100+ hits
I started thinking I was the Don Juan of Costa Rica, But reality CHECK they think all us Americans and Canadians are all wealthy. They are looking for a better life and of course $$$$$$ so if you are cool with a No Love relationship Tinder is the place
But on The flip side I have met a few nice ladies by just being out on the town or by banging shopping carts at Automecado
Living in Escazu made it more easier since it's a more of a high end area with most living here have good jobs
But I am no expert in CR I've only been here 1 1/2 years and still feel like a Moon Rock especially coming  from Brooklyn. the accent has them looking at me with a slanted dog head pose  I have no Spanish speaking skills besides Google Translator

Buts it's experience and I mostly dig it

I am glad that you checked out the website that I mentioned at the beginning of this post... Heard only good things about it!

JBuonopane12 wrote:

Henry
            Crazy thing is I just found a remote area in the mountains located in Puriscal La Palma  the guys who bought the land and developed it are two Canadian guys from the Oil drilling business
It's a piece of heaven and them temps and view are insane.  They have a group of Canadians living here even Americans shit even two of us New York Italians
It's not a huge development about 25 homes spaced apart , they have like 6 lots left
Gated community With pool and clubhouse fruit trees through out the development
Downfall is they are still on DSL but I am looking into Satellite.  Definitely is off the beaten path but only 1 1/2 hour drive to Escazu or San Jose 1 hour from beach
FYI. Roads are definitely rough and these bike riders in the tight costumes are driving me insane when driving they are a major obstacle without hitting and getting life in prison. They think they own the roads

Am I the only one bothered by they guys and girls on the roadways which are already impossible to navigate

I've already paid for the land plus lawyer's fees. The place is in Osa, middle of nowhere but the services are there and 1 mile to the ocean. It is hot there though. Technically, I can get back at least a half of what I have paid. I am about to transfer 50% of the house cost, still thinking. $1000 per sq meter, plus $54 for a sq meter of land my cost. JBuonopane, do you know the lot/house price in this development? My email: [email protected]

Henrych;
I am a homeowner in this development and have been here 7 years.  We have a tentative fiber optic contract with ICE (the tentative part is that components are needed from China and are on back order).  I presently have Internet via a tower, small dish, and a contract with a fiber provider.  Can help with inquiries!

Henry
           I will have the owner Brian send you his pricing, he is the land owner and has built probably 50% of the homes here for his customers
He has a budget spreadsheet that he will send you to give you and Idea what cost are up this way

$800 sq meter is builder grade at $1000 you are up on the high end finishes

I will forward him your email

JBuonopane12 wrote:

Henry
           I will have the owner Brian send you his pricing, he is the land owner and has built probably 50% of the homes here for his customers
He has a budget spreadsheet that he will send you to give you and Idea what cost are up this way

$800 sq meter is builder grade at $1000 you are up on the high end finishes

I will forward him your email

Thank you. Hope it'll be sooner, as I have to pay this week. My price includes the concrete house and appliances (AC as well). I guess the price depends on what is included.

Henry
          I sent you a email with the links to the development and I also sent the owner's email address

Let me know if you have any issues

Check out "Vistas de Chirripo".It is all Canadian.