Immigrating from South Africa to New Zealand

My wife, two kids and I are considering the move and im wondering what the cost of living would be for a family of 4 in New Zealand. (Outside Auckland) I am a plumber. We are hoping to survive on my salary with my wife possibly working half days as an accountant/book keeper
Is this realistic?
Thank you.
Kelvin

Welcome to the forum.

For living costs www.numbeo.com.

As a tradesman you will have to sit an exam here to qualify to be able to work at your trade. Tradesmen are needed here but the Covid-19  crisis has made it very difficult, if not impossible for companies to bring in overseas tradesmen.

Go to "Discover" at the top of this page and open the New Zealand Guide for information.

Also read other posts here on the forum for information as this has been covered before.

Good luck.

Thank you for the info @Stumpy.
Im aware of an exam to be able to work/convert qualifications.
I will look into it.
Take care
Kelvin

I had a look at the stats Stumpy and it would take me a while to figure it all out 🙈.
Im hoping someone in a similar situation could let me know if its possible to support a family of 4 on a plumbers wage?

Thank you again!

Kelvin

I suggest you type " plumbers wage NZ" into your search engine for information then check this against costs.

NZ wages are low and costs are high.

Ok.

Maybe im a bit confused. So there are no ex South Africans in New Zealand on this forum?

NZ wages are low and costs high?
Doesnt sound inviting.

Thanks

Hi Kevin.
While NZ is a beautiful country to live in, it can be considered one of the most expensive places to also live in.
Rental or housing alone is the greatest challenge.  As a qualified plumber, you should be able to earn a reasonable income, however,  expect more than half of that to ho towards rental, or a mortgage  If you are fortunate enough to be able to purchase a house. However, dont give up, always be positive and explore all avenues and mediums if that's your goal.

Feel free to add me to WhatsApp if you need direct info
****  Devon Patrix

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Kelvin Zehmke wrote:

Ok.

Maybe im a bit confused. So there are no ex South Africans in New Zealand on this forum?

NZ wages are low and costs high?
Doesnt sound inviting.

Thanks

Hey Kelvin,

Originally from Durban and been in NZ for 10yrs working as an Engineer. I spent a year or so back in Durban recently. My advice is stay put that side and relocate to Cape Town etc. or explore immigration options elsewhere. The cost of living is very high here taking into consideration accommodation and food etc.  Personally we are headed back to Durban where I can afford to buy a house of my own and have a great lifestyle. And not pay rent to a foreign investor or a kiwi retiring on my hard earned cash. Depends on your lifestyle but if you enjoy sunshine and surf etc. Then maybe Australia is a better option in terms of affordability and lifestyle. I have a few friends who have left NZ in the last few years and headed back to SA. Housing is a big problem here and ownership impossible for most. Most well paying jobs are in Auckland but the traffic and cost of living is hectic.