New members of the Netherlands forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi,  my name is Alex. The short story: Born and raised in The NL and moved to the USA for college at 20 years of agen in 1995. Been in the USA legally ever since. I currently work as an airline pilot.  Getting married to a USA citizen.  My family still lives in Holland.

My name is Korede olusola Stephen am from Nigeria.
I was born 11th July 1984 in Oba ile Akure north local government area of ondo state.
I attended osun state college of technology in osun state Nigeria where I completed my national diploma in banking and finance.
But due to civid 19 I loss my job on which I can provide for the need in my family again pls I want to start new life in Netherland because as day is going age also is going time is not awaiting for anybody .pls I need your help to work in Netherland  sir. I have six years experience in store keeper and sells   also ten years experience in agriculture farming works. Thanks sir.

Hi guys,

I'm Alina from Romania. I'll be starting a job in the Netherlands in July.

Would love to connect with people in the Rotterdam area.

Good Day from South Africa.

As soon as covid bans are lifted, we are considering buying property in the netherlands. Not too sure if this would be the right place to get advise on this, but most Realestate agents could not give me an answer on this. How would the property taxes work for non-residents without a MVV/Temporary residence permit or BSN/Tax Number?

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Regardt wrote:

Good Day from South Africa.

As soon as covid bans are lifted, we are considering buying property in the netherlands. Not too sure if this would be the right place to get advise on this, but most Realestate agents could not give me an answer on this. How would the property taxes work for non-residents without a MVV/Temporary residence permit or BSN/Tax Number?

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You can only claim property tax relief if you are resident and paying taxes in the Netherlands.  MVV is a joint travel/work visa; when that's granted and you move to the Netherlands, you then have 5 days to register with the Gemeente, when you do that you get your BSN and DigiD.  You need your BSN in order to open a bank account and you need your DigiD to talk to the Belastingdienst about taxes.  So you won't get a mortgage from a Dutch bank if you don't live in the Netherlands.

Of course, if you have a lot of cash floating around, there's nothing stopping you from buying anything, but you'll still have to go through MVV to actually do anything with it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the information. We are going to be buying cash, but I am still not sure how to go about paying the property tax annually without a MVV. The home will solely be for a holiday home investment, but at all the avenues we pursued to obtain a MVV ends in a dead-end in our specific situation, so we will be visiting on a tourist visa. From what I can gather and with the information you provided, without a MVV, paying any form of taxes and obtaining a tax number would be impossible. So unless buying a property will grant us a MVV (which I doubt), I am still uncertain how payin anual property would actually work.

Everywhere I read, foreigners owning property in NL is not a problem, but then I guess you Will need a MVV.

Thanks once agian,

Kind Regards

Regardt wrote:

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the information. We are going to be buying cash, but I am still not sure how to go about paying the property tax annually without a MVV. The home will solely be for a holiday home investment, but at all the avenues we pursued to obtain a MVV ends in a dead-end in our specific situation, so we will be visiting on a tourist visa. From what I can gather and with the information you provided, without a MVV, paying any form of taxes and obtaining a tax number would be impossible. So unless buying a property will grant us a MVV (which I doubt), I am still uncertain how payin anual property would actually work.

Everywhere I read, foreigners owning property in NL is not a problem, but then I guess you Will need a MVV.

Thanks once agian,

Kind Regards

Hi again.

As I said previously, MVV is a joint travel/work visa - nothing else, it's issued to people who are wishing to live and work in the Netherlands - you don't want to do that, so it's not for you.  You need the MVV to get through Immigration at the airport and to register at the Gemeente - that's all it does.  Once you have registered, you then get the BSN and DigiD which enables you to buy a house via a Dutch bank etc.  Foreigners who live in Holland are able to buy houses to live in with no problem.  It's the bit that you don't intend to live in the Netherlands that is going to cause you issues if you want to get a mortgage, but if you have the cash, then nobody is going to stop you using it to buy a house; it's your risk, nobody else's.

I can confirm that owning property in the Netherlands does not confer residency rights to anybody; as a South African, you can apply for a Schengen visa and then stay for a maximum of 90 days in each 180 day period; it's effectively a tourist visa, but it doesn't get you your BSN or DigiD.  Whether you stay in your house is up to you.  You should be aware that many Gemeente's have now placed rental duration restrictions on things like Airbnb lets.

I just noticed I didn't answer your taxes question.  Yes, there are taxes to pay; as you won't be able to open an account in the Netherlands, speak to your bank in SA and see what they can offer in terms of making international payments.  I don't know what you do for a living, but you should be aware that this will flag you up to the Dutch tax authorities (Belastingdienst) and they do talk to their colleagues in other countries.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I would like to get offers from u if it is possible for any transport jobs or a customer service domain also , i currently work at rafic hariri international airport Beirut as a driver though scheduled to leave next month , thank you .

montrealjohny wrote:

I would like to get offers from u if it is possible for any transport jobs or a customer service domain also , i currently work at rafic hariri international airport Beirut as a driver though scheduled to leave next month , thank you .

Try placing your CV in the jobs section at the top of the Forum.  I've removed your 2nd post, it's off-topic.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi,

From the UK, looking to start business and get residency. Any help is appreciated on how to do this. It will be a BV.
Do we apply for a BV then residency?

NK2021NL wrote:

Hi,

From the UK, looking to start business and get residency. Any help is appreciated on how to do this. It will be a BV.

5 steps to starting a BV in the Netherlands; follow this link.

Residency - you need to apply for a work and residence permit; the Dutch offer a start-up entrepreneur visa; this link will take you to the Dutch Government website (IND) that has the details about how to do this.

I have no idea bout any precedence of order (I've never done it); you need to speak to a lawyer - the first link may help you there.

I've removed your empty posts.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

haraldvanhengel wrote:

Hi all!

I am Harald van Hengel, dutchman for over 68 years, and living in Breda (Netherlands). I did sign up here, to get in touch with Thai and their dutch partners, living in NL, and particularly in  my city of Breda, which lies in the south of NL, near the Belgian border.

I am retired and have a very sweet Thai wife Rak, who lives and works in Bangkok. Every year we spend some months together, but this now is very difficult coz of Corona. My flight last year October was cancelled and due to the present strict Thai immigration rules, it will be not easy to go Thailand this year. But I hope at the end of 2021 I can be with my wife again.

Please if you need some Dutch advise or help, contact me.

Groet en sawasdee, Harald

Hi Harald,

Good to be on here.
My husband currently on his way to Eindhoven and would be good to get in touch with someone in the Netherlands for advice
We are from the UK.

Cynic wrote:
NK2021NL wrote:

Hi,

Residency - you need to apply for a work and residence permit; the Dutch offer a start-up entrepreneur visa; this link will take you to the Dutch Government website (IND) that has the details about how to do this.

I have no idea bout any precedence of order (I've never done it); you need to speak to a lawyer - the first link may help you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you.
Also need to rent an apartment to live in and also have an address in the Netherlands to apply for above. Any guidance on that?

NK2021NL wrote:
Cynic wrote:
NK2021NL wrote:

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you.
Also need to rent an apartment to live in and also have an address in the Netherlands to apply for above. Any guidance on that?

Long-range rental is always difficult; most people use an Airbnb for the first month while they get themselves in and registered.  You can register with the Gemeente from any address where the owner permits it, so make sure you ask.

Accommodation - Rental accommodation is always a premium in the Netherlands; most of what you see online has already gone, but they need to attract you for stuff that comes on the market today.  You have a few options:

Top of this page is a link to our housing section - check that out.

Pararius is one of many websites with rental accommodation on it, this link will take you there; you can use Google to find others.

Watch out for scammers, we've had people scammed on the doorstep of their new house; they didn't realise until they tried the key in the door and then the actual owner opened it from the inside.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks. Have had a look at the housing, but not much in Eindhoven.
Any suggestions what is the best way to look for accommodation?
It is best to visit estate agents or online?

NK2021NL wrote:

Thanks. Have had a look at the housing, but not much in Eindhoven.
Any suggestions what is the best way to look for accommodation?
It is best to visit estate agents or online?

A lot of luck. We have a huge housing problem in the Netherlands and so the housing market is very tight at the moment. You can try Funda.nl

I am Joan, 30 years old from Kenya. I will be moving to Netherlands to study at VU . For the first time, I am scared because i dont know what to expect, have no friends, and I will be looking for a job too to help me support myself. Any tips or people willing to met up sometime will be helful.
Thank you

Sasa, am from Kenya too. I totally understand your fears but trust me you will cruise through. Just don't overwhelm yourself with meet ups they come automatically. Especially that your coming for studies you will get enough company. Welcome

Hi Joan, I also came in one month ago, but things seem to fall in place by themselves. So don't worry a lot. I am at UvA, feel free to reach out.

@CLEMM,

Thank you for the reply, i cant wait to make new friends in school

@PURICO,
asante sana :-)

Hello, I am a new American expat in the Netherlands in Maastricht.  My husband is a Dutch citizen and We have previously done tours in Schaffhausen, Switzerland; Taipei, Taiwan, and Shanghai, China.  I am originally from the State of Georgia and we have a home there.  We arrived last August, then things began shutting down for Covid.

I would like to meet ladies, for coffee who have time to socialize.  My age is 55, and I love people from all types of different cultures. 

My husband is a long time employee of DSM, and he originally comes from the Rotterdam area.  So, we only know people locally who work for the same company.  It would be a pleasure to expand our private network.

Kathy van Wilgenburg

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Greetings from Nigeria... I'm a 25year old girl with digital marketing skills and experience in customer service. I'm looking to moving to Netherlands for a job but don't know how to go about it; and also pursue my master's program  I love Netherlands 😍

Hello everybody, My name is Faustino, I was born and raised in ANGOLA  and I am an international business student in POLAND, I  am planning to do my master's degree in NETHERLANDS.
WHAT KIND OF ADVICE AND INFORMATION WOULD YOU GIVE ME? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

BENIFELICIANO03 wrote:

Hello everybody, My name is Faustino, I was born and raised in ANGOLA  and I am an international business student in POLAND, I  am planning to do my master's degree in NETHERLANDS.
WHAT KIND OF ADVICE AND INFORMATION WOULD YOU GIVE ME? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Assuming you are looking for a course in English, then the "Study in Holland" website may help; this link will take you straight there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Guys

Clint from South Africa

Im wanting to get work in Rotterdam Netherlands

Can someone help me find work. I want to leave SA soon, so your assistance will be good

Thanks

Clint
[link moderated]

hello all,

Anybody from VU here? I will be arriving in Amsterdam in a month's time to study @ Vrije University-Finance.

I'm coming to Amsterdam next month. As soon as I arrive, I will look for any job I can find. In my spare time, I'm learning web development. Anyone here trying to learn web development?

Hello guys, nice to meet yo all

Hello everyone, I am going to the Netherlands for the first time for vacation can you tell what to expect at the Amsterdam embassy, like questions they may ask, or documents they might wanna see.

carinenewman wrote:

Hello everyone, I am going to the Netherlands for the first time for vacation can you tell what to expect at the Amsterdam embassy, like questions they may ask, or documents they might wanna see.

There is no requirement for you to visit your Embassy when on vacation in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you, but that should be the Amsterdam airport NOT Embassy sorry, I am from Jamaica and going to the Netherlands for vacation, so what is it like at the airport.

carinenewman wrote:

Thank you, but that should be the Amsterdam airport NOT Embassy sorry, I am from Jamaica and going to the Netherlands for vacation, so what is it like at the airport.

Hi again.

Amsterdam doesn't have an airport; the nearest international airport is Schiphol which is a 20 minutes drive to the South East of the city.  There is a regular train ( 6 minutes to Amsterdam Zuid) service between the airport and the city centre.  To answer your question, there is a checklist of the documents you may need on the IND website; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ok thank you

Hi everyone
My name is Lisa and I am
a South African teacher with 26 years experience. How easy/difficult would it be to relocate with my husband and two young kids 10 and 11.

I have done some research and I am wondering if  I would still require a  tefl accreditation if I possess a Masters Degree in education.

Please advise

Lisamcccc wrote:

Hi everyone
My name is Lisa and I am
a South African teacher with 26 years experience. How easy/difficult would it be to relocate with my husband and two young kids 10 and 11.

I have done some research and I am wondering if  I would still require a  tefl accreditation if I possess a Masters Degree in education.

Please advise

You haven't been clear, but as all courses in Dutch schools are taught in Dutch and you're asking about TEFL, I assume you're hoping to work in Higher Education, so you need to check if your diploma is recognised in the Netherlands.  The Dutch government do this via the NUFFIC organisation; they have a website and this link will take you straight there.  There is also a Work Regulations section that will tell you what qualifications are required.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you for your prompt feedback.

Hello there,

Newbies here! I'm Shila, from Malaysia.  :)

I just join this forum less than an hour ago.

I'm planning to move to Netherland to live with my partner by next year. I'm starting to learn dutch on my own since a month ago.

I'm quite nervous and excited at the same time.

Is it easy for expat to get a job in Netherlands?

Hi Julien: my name is Rene de Wijk,  I am Dutch and returned to the Netherlands in 2000 after a 10-year stay in the U.S.  I still have 401K plans in the U.S., and am looking for information how get access to these funds after my retirement (within the next 4 years).  More urgently, is a notification for Wells Fargo (who holds one of the 401 K accounts) that they will terminate all accounts for foreigners at the end of September 2021. I need to find an alternative, for example transfer my Wells Fargo account to my other account, if possible (Fidelity). I have been trying to find professional advisors on these matters but have not yet been able using the internet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
With kind regards,
Rene de Wijk

renedewijk wrote:

Hi Julien: my name is Rene de Wijk,  I am Dutch and returned to the Netherlands in 2000 after a 10-year stay in the U.S.  I still have 401K plans in the U.S., and am looking for information how get access to these funds after my retirement (within the next 4 years).  More urgently, is a notification for Wells Fargo (who holds one of the 401 K accounts) that they will terminate all accounts for foreigners at the end of September 2021. I need to find an alternative, for example transfer my Wells Fargo account to my other account, if possible (Fidelity). I have been trying to find professional advisors on these matters but have not yet been able using the internet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
With kind regards,
Rene de Wijk

My experience was that I was forced to cash them all in and had no option for them to remain in the US; this was the advice of our CFO at the time.  This was some years ago now and things may have changed, so my advice would be to speak to a US tax advisor or a Dutch advisor with US experience.

At the top of the webpage is a link to our Services section, if you select that and enter tax in the search box, you will get a list of advisors that offer their services.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Closed