New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Welcome to the forums!  Great introduction. I know there are other members in Cabrera, I think that is near you!

Yes, it is!  About 30 mins drive more or less.  Cabarete is also fairly near.

lisawinkler wrote:

Yes, it is!  About 30 mins drive more or less.  Cabarete is also fairly near.

:P Hola, soy Noriska
Am new  to the Forum, thinking someday to move here but will be learning from all of your guys here , thank you for living in my beautiful country, I left as a  young child  and seldom comes to visit,
I like to explore each years more of DR and eventually when am ready move back, I love green and of courses The 🏖

Cheers!!
Norisko

Welcome to the forums!  Your input brings a different perspective.

Also welcome to the North Coast anything you would like to know more than welcome to ask the group is a great source of solid advice and information. I mean cat birthday so anytime just let me know we might be able to meet up for coffee

Hello!

We are Konrad and Kinga from Poland. We were in DR in last year, and we're planning a move here for a few years in January. We wanted to buy/build a house, but on your advice we will rent in different parts of the country to see what is the best for us. This forum is great, with a lot of very useful advice. Thank you!

I'm Stanley, moving to Montellano (Puert Plata province) in November. Already have a wife and 4 beautiful children to raise waiting for me. Will be looking for land locally to buy and start building our house by the second quarter of next year.

Welcome everyone!!! Glad you found us.  Great info on the forums!!!

Welcome Konrad and Kinga! Welcome Stanley!

Lots of great info in the pinned posts as well as the rest of the forum!

Hi,

My name is Saif and I am 36 years old (from Toronto, Canada). I bought land in Cabrera and started building a house for my parents/vacations last year.
Looking to learn and meet new friends from here.
Cheers!

Welcome to the forums!  We area a wealth of information on here. Lots for you to read. I see you started a thread and I am sure others will offer suggestions!

Hi Folks,
I've been planning on a move to the DR that looked more long term until the year 2020 changed my perpective and I simply made it happen sooner than planned. I'm in San Pedro de Macoris with my novia of over 7 years. Lots to figure out still, but a car purchase and a test of the 3-month visa extension are on the short list. Unfortunately still back and forth trying to wrap things up in the US. I'm an American from the Boston area. I'll look for the appropriate topics to post my questions. This forum looks much more helpful than DR1 which I have followed (less and less) for many years. -Jonathan "Jonnie"

Welcome to the forums!!  Hopefully we continue to be helpful to you!

Hi how are you? I am also in Boston and planning to move to DR. Hopefully to la Romana.
Looking to buy a house .

What part of Boston? 

Rich

Hi! My name is Rose! I'm originally from the island. Left about 20 years ago. I live with my family in Queens, NY. We purchased an apartment in Las Terrenas, which we will be renting out (hoping it pays itself...fingers crossed). We are still a good amount of years away from retirement but our goal is to live in DR half of the year once we retire. My husband is not Dominican so eventually we will have to look into how he could become a citizen. I looking into how to get dual citizenship for our kids in case they even want to live there when they grow up. I have already gotten to ask some questions in the forum and have read lots of info members have posted. I find this forum very helpful. Even though I am Dominicana, I left the country very young so I don't really know how things work over there. I do speak Spanish fluently ( probably better than English...lol, so if I could be of any help in that aspect, I'd be happy to! Thanks to all the members who selflessly share their knowledge with all of us!

Welcome to you as well!   Your husband has right to citizenship via you.  Check out the threads on residency I think it's covered there.

We look forward to you participating in the forums

Thanks Planner!!!

Hi.  My name is Julie.  My husband and I are planning to come and rent in Las Terrenas for approximately a year before deciding to stay permanently.  Our plan is to retire Feb 2022.  Can anyone recommend a timeline to move?  We have a home to sell in the US.  I'm ready to come next week, but my husband is a super planner.  Thanks.  Also, to get healthcare in the DR, do we need to be residents?

Welcome to you both!   Not sure what you mean by a timeline.   

Can you start a new topic and ask again, explain what advice you are looking for.  We will be happy to help you there.

Lost of great info in the many threads including the pinned thread on residency!

Welcome Julie!

Check all the pinned posts first, then ask your question in the appropriate threads or start your own!

Hello ,

I' m french and live in Martinica since many years  . I travelled in RD off beatten tracks  with my girl friend during  2 months in 85 and came back during one month in 2010 and 11 with our children . I would like come back soon in RD because i love kindess of people and architecture of its capital . I apreciate this forum but i 'm  looking for something more local - whith  dominican people on line and  possibilty to speak spanish  . Few years ago i was registred in Tolerancia Intercultural , à very nice forum unfortunatly  deseapered after many problems . If somebody can help in my research i would be happy !

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

If you prefer Spanish, you can find the Spanish language forum on DR at this link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2097

Muchas gracias !!!  :) I 'm going  right now ... :cheers:

You are located in Santo Domingo correct?

Who are you asking dgb1?

It appears he has been removed?  No matter.

No , I'm living in Martinica ...
Sorry to contest only now DGB1 .
I read every day on this very good  forum .
I apreciate a lot  plenty posts  and Planner and Lennovox manadgment ...but my english is not perfect and i 'm more confortable with spanish .

Understood!  The  Spanish forum is good too,  we are just better looking!  Anything you need we are here.

good one lol

:D:D

Cigars, rum, dominoes, fried fish, beautiful beachs and very nice people…..What's not to like?

Greetings everyone.  My name is Michael.  I visited the DR a few years ago for a cigar event and fell in love.  I just purchased some land in Caleta beach in La Romana.  My long term plan will be to develop the property into condos or apartments and rent them out as the property has water views.  I'm not ready to retire, so I have been and will be making multiple trips back and forth to the island, each time has been a wonderful experience as I tend to go on an excursion every trip.  I have been to Samana a few times but have yet to go up to the northern part of the island like PP.  I have been enjoying this site and appreciate all the valuable information.

Welcome to the forums. I lived in Caleta for almost 2 years!  Glad you love it here!

Thank you!  As you know Calata is considered the “ local
Beach” and still is, but there is a lot of development happening .

Hello,
I am Jacque and I am relocating to the DR from southern Colorado. I have two adult sons living in Las Vegas and Seattle. I am single and have a fur baby, my pit bull, her name is Sable and she's 7 and has been with me since she was 8 weeks old.
I am an Army Veteran and retired DoD civilian. I retired 8 years ago from Ft Carson, Co and now just want to spend my retirement years in a beautiful, warm, sunny and tropical Paradise which is what I found the Dominican Republic to be. Looking forward to starting this new chapter in my life and making new friends and learning Spanish as well as the culture. Thanks for adding me to the group.

Hola, :) Make sure you are well prepared for your dog to travel. It is easy to bring the dog into the DR. but you will not be able to bring the dog back into the USA because of USA rules. Do your research. if you want to go back and forth.
David

Hola! I am doing a lot of research and asking questions about everything! I am nervous about my fur baby making the trip over to the DR so once she's there, that's it. I don't plan on taking her back to the U.S.
I do have a question, why wouldn't she be allowed back in the U.S.?

Some USA rules because of DR. rabies. I do not know the particulars as I do not plan on traveling with a pet I just know what I have been seeing in the forums etc.

Thank you! I will further research it!

I found this link! Posting it here in case anyone else has questions about bringing a dog into the US from a high risk country for rabies.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringin … ermit.html

Welcome to the forums.  There are various threads on almost all topics!  This is a great place to retire!

Please keep this thread for introductions and welcomes. 

Thanks everyone.

Closed