New members of the Cayman Islands forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cayman Islands forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Cayman Islands if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

I am a pediatrician living in frigid , wind blown Great Falls Montana for the past 30 years. I love my job but time for a relocation. My life experience includes being raised in west Germany during the early 70s, the first American to attend the gymnasium in Gottingen.  Later I returned to the US after a remarkable life traveling throughout Europe but have continued to maintain an independent spirit and a wanderlust that was simply unquenchable. My medical travels led to several trips to remote areas of South Africa in humanitarian work. I have also recently visited Poland, Israel and Central America. I love the ocean and look forward one day to becoming a permanent reef inhabitant. My German language skills have been maintained on a limited level but I could become fluent again under the right conditions. I have visited cayman island back in 1980 while crewing on sailboats in an attempt to avoid college and higher education. I have considered living as an ex pat in places like panama and Central America but after researching the German community in Cayman I decided to learn more on this site. All my best to all of you and your transition there. I am eager to hear your stories and how you are doing .
All my best and perhaps we will meet someday?
Michael

I didn't even know there was a German community here - at least an organised one! I would say that tapping into that would be your best bet. When the Covid panic is over, that is. This is probably not the time to be looking to relocate here.

As for work, your first step ought to be to Google the local medical society and see what they have to say.

Greetings to one and all. Its nice to be here. I want to move to cayman island. I live in Nigeria. How do I go about it?

Hi,

Great to be part of this forum. I am a qualified Chartered Accountant from India and plan to work in Cayman Islands. Please guide on the same.

Thanks & Regards
Ravi

Jowinlife: first, check the Wikipedia entry.
Ravi: substitute "hope" for "plan"; and register with an international employment agency. After Covid, of course.

Hi,
My name is Randy. I am planning to visit for a few months this winter (2022). If allowed! Are there any suggestions for a 3 month stay? This question is about what phone service is best for calls, texting, and data. Which neighborhoods are close to beaches and walkable to shopping for long term rentals. And health insurance short term plans??

I'm not planning on having a car. I will be working remotely as I am semi retired. I what to try to see if this is where I can retire.

Look forward to hearing back! And have a great day!
Many thanks!

The first thing you have to do is Google "Cayman Resident". It will answer many of your questions.

Thanks!
I understand google and didn't find any answers.

RandyO wrote:

Thanks!
I understand google and didn't find any answers.

https://caymanresident.com/
Randy. I find it hard to believe that this very comprehensive website didn't answer any of your questions. It covers just about everything intending immigrants want to know. I'd be very interested in where it falls short. I know the publishers - not well, but well enough to tell them what they've missed out.

A quick note for anybody wanting to come and live in Cayman... In this Age of Covid, everything is screwed up, and the laws are changeable - especially for those who want to work here, but also for those who want to retire here. Below I'm linking to an old blog-post of mine that tells of how my wife and I, after looking for boltholes in this part of the world, decided to hang around Cayman for a while longer. She died a couple of years ago, but I'm still here, and still think we made a good choice in staying.
The post is the opinion of one man - and an old man at that - but it might be useful!
https://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2012 … t-two.html

Hi
My name is sue and along with my brother David we're having a home built on cayman brac. I am a retired nurse while my brother has his own insulation business under the government scheme in the uk. He is hoping to find something to do with environmental issues which will help the environment. We would love to hear from people that have moved to the caymans and could help us with  the cost of living buying a car health insurance and all other aspects of moving from the uk to cayman.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Hello suegiddy,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for sharing your expatriation project with us.

Should you have more in-depth questions about any of the above topics, please feel free to open a new thread in the Cayman Islands forum:cheers:

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi all

Currently researching about relocating to the Cayman Island with my husband and three children so have realised so far that rental and private education costs are high but achievable.

How does health insurance work? My two youngest children (ages 4 and 7 both have glasses). I think my employer would cover 50% of my salary but not sure they cover my children?

Lots of questions but just start with this for moment 😀

Thanks
Caroline

caroliney98 wrote:

Currently researching about relocating to the Cayman Island with my husband and three children so have realised so far that rental and private education costs are high but achievable.

How does health insurance work? My two youngest children (ages 4 and 7 both have glasses). I think my employer would cover 50% of my salary but not sure they cover my children?

Lots of questions but just start with this for moment 😀
Thanks
Caroline

Caroline. I guess you've done your due diligence by reading "Cayman Resident". It answers most questions. Your children's health insurance depends on your or your husband's employer. I'm presuming you're highly paid, in which case the employer might well pay for half your children's insurance. It's his option. What else?

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=969268

Thanks!

Closed