New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

It is a sign of respect to learn your host country language.   Bulgarian is a very difficult language for English speaking people to learn

I am confident in my abilities in the Romance languages And have always been able to get by in Spanish Italian French and of course English

Sherman is somewhat challenging but easy enough to figure out however Bulgarian is almost impossible and less you school your self

Whenever I meet a new person I try my best to speak Bulgarian and can master enough to introduce and start a very basic conversation

I have found that when people see that I make an effort to speak their language they are more than helpful

So I ask everybody that I meant to please teach me one word completely

I might have as many as 200 words in my vocabulary and that is barely sufficient to get beyond hello goodbye thank you've
Check please and the other basics

In a village it is a complete loss but I have been able to find that when I try to learn one word the villager will take me under his wing

I have written down the alphabet and as everybody knows not every Cyrillic character meets a common American English alphabet

Having said all this I continue to be delighted To reside here and meet interesting people and have wonderful food

you're right !
all the "rosbif" who come to settle here imagine that everyone speaks English !! ha ha  :D:D

:D:D

Brilliant, i hope to be able to puck up the language.

You'll manage it! I have zero language ability, but even I've been able to learn to read a fair bit of Cyrillic and speak a few basic words. It's embarrassing to try to use them, especially when my accent is so bad, but to jump in and try is the only way to improve!

I m looking forward to it x

Can teach you how to learn in few hr

Sounds good

@ ScarlettR

Thanks so much  for your response Scarlett :)

How lovely a renovated house nr Vastra and a ski flat!

I can't wait until the restrictions are lifted so I can go over and visit.

It's so reassuring to hear from someone who has done this successfully and twice!!

My budget is small currently max 25K.

I would like to have my own selection of furniture - really good to know about Ikea in Sofia!!

Looking at a few recently renovated resales unfurnished.

Getting the furniture is affordable - I don't know how much a kitchenette would be including installation (basic, sink, fridge, 2 ringed electric cooker - maybe oven)?

That would be as far as any renovation my end would be and could afford.

Ha yes good advice about the car park, I don't currently drive, but things change and I wouldn't the benefit of having a car crushed by digging out snow or wasting money for a commercial car space. I would never have considered that! Thank you.

The main purpose of the flat is mainly a space I can call my own, not a skier but an outdoor person, somewhere quiet where I can work and who knows hopefully get to live in for more than 6 months per year in the future. 

I hope you are well and keeping safe thank you again for all your advice  :)

Hi Everyone

A question of concern ...

When purchasing property in Bulgaria do I need proof of address in the UK?

Due to Pandemic moved from London to my dad's house.

The only proof of address I currently have is on my bank statements.

I am not technically registered as living here, no utility bills etc.

Is this something I need to consider getting set up properly before looking to buy or is this not an issue?

It's the only thing I can think of that I don't have set up. 2 proofs of address.

I wouldn't want to get far down the line for this small glitch to hinder me.

Thanks in advance for anyone's time hope everyone is keeping well and safe

Cheers
Rosie

@Rosanna Hanna

The "notary act" (the deed) includes your identifying information: full name, passport number, and address.

However, while they definitely need your passport, I don't think address is a big deal and I don't recall them checking it. I'm sure a bank statement will be fine.

I still have a bank account with my father's address too, so I updated my driving license to match. If you did this, you'd have 2 proofs of address that would be acceptable in most circumstances.

A bigger issue will be payment. So it's worth considering whether you will go to the notary yourself, or be represented by an attorney... and whether you are paying the seller beforehand via bank transfer, or taking cash along with you. I'm not wild about carrying big chunks of cash, but 20,000-30,000 euros isn't terrible if you arrange to get it in 200/500 euros notes. (I've signed personally, and it's not too stressful. A state-registered translator is required, so they translate for you the notary act and anything the notary says.)

So when you come over you should consider opening a Bulgarian bank account. They are tightening up, but I think there are still one or two who will open based only on your passport.

@ Gwynj

Thanks a lot  for this really helpful.

That's good to know re the address, sounds straight forward. 

Ha no I would never trust myself to carry a large value of money so I would do a bank transfer.

I would definitely prefer a solicitor involved with the notary, and to oversee the process.

Apologies I am misunderstanding how the variables of 'advance' 'attorney' 'cash' 'bank transfer' would affect the process.  Could I not, with an attorney, during the notary/ completion of purchase transfer funds via internet to the seller from UK bank account while being physically present for signing contracts?

What are the benefits of opening a Bulgarian bank account for the purchase of property?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help to clarify - I will have another search on google see what I can find.

Great help thanks a lot Gwynj much appreciated.

Getting as prepared as I can!

Cheers everyone

Hello Everyone

Money transfer fees and exchange rates

This is an area I am mind boggled with.  :huh:

Any tips and hints would be amazing.

As a foreigner buying property in Bulgaria from the UK.

Thanks a lot for any advice if possible.

Cheers
Rosie

A bank account in Bulgaria is not strictly necessary but transfers are faster, and easier to get cash.

Big cash not ideal. However it may be hard to avoid small cash as many Bulgarian sellers insist on under declaration of the price and some black money.

I have done a transfer at the notary from my Bulgarian account and it took more than an hour and the seller insisted on waiting. As usually notary signing takes less than an hour, they were not best pleased. I suspect an international transfer from UK could take a couple of hours. Could work if, say, both you and seller have Revolut or similar.

In theory, the preliminary contract gives buyer protection against seller taking money and not signing. I have personally made the transfer from the UK before the notary date, so it is certainly feasible.

Thank you again Gwynj really helpful information!

Definitely feeling clearer on a few things!

Much appreciated cheers!

Hi all
          I'm moving to Bulgaria in October and I'm using Tanya Dimitrova but haven't met her or know if she is genuine. She's been great so far but I still have my doubts. Can anyone help putting my mind at rest regarding possible scams.

Zoom call or skype her

Hi all
           I'm steven, moving to Bulgaria in October. Sold home here in England and driving over with a Transit. Had enough of home and want a new start.

How will a call help? I've spoken on the phone. She's got an office in Nottingham but I can't find it.

You will know the face matches the pictures. Get her address in Nottingham and go and visit there and see if its real. However, does sound a bit “scammy” to me

Hi Steve310
                      Spoke with her on the phone, she sounds convincing and very eloquent. I'd still like to know somebody who has had help or knows about her, it's difficult enough without been let down.

Hi
     We have sold everything and are just driving over with all our belongings and buying a home when we get there.

Steven

That sounds very ambitious. Have you used this lady to apply for your D visa and set up a company etc

Hi Jules
             Yes we are using her for the visa. Hoping the estate agent will help with the company. We have a lawyer representing us with the purchase.

It is adventurous but it's one life and at 53 I've had enough of H.R., H&S, G.S and every other acronym they have to peck you with.

Steve a.k.a. Goober Lol
Somebody stop me😁

I'm with you on that! We did the same thing at 42 and 43, never looked back 9 years on....

Hi
     Do you think we have taken on too much?  Purchasing a property first helps us with the visa….so I believe.

[Post deleted]

You're both young enough to encounter any possible hurdles, I'm sure you'll be fine. We were fortunate in that applying for the long stay permit was easier before Brexit, but yes, you'll need to be able to demonstrate that you have a place to reside in & the funds to support yourselves....

Thanks Jules

I hope it all works out, Steven!  I'm 61 and just waiting till I can collect my pension to do the same.  Gives me time to do up my house in Bg and plant more trees.
That Nottingham address is most likely a mailing  service. Doesn't necessarily make her scammy. I've used one in the US for things that required a US mailing address but not necessrily a residential address.

@Steven Wilkinson

What an adventure!! Good luck!!

If you've already sold everything, then it seems sensible to drive over with all your stuff. However, I'd personally feel pretty uncomfortable driving around Bulgaria with a vanload of my valuables, while viewing potential properties. :-) But perhaps you're sticking the transit in secure parking somewhere, and driving around in a cheap rental?

You mention "visa", but you say you're coming over in October, which isn't far away. And I guess you haven't yet applied for your D visa at the Bulgarian Embassy in London? The process is D visa first, outside Bulgaria... followed by coming to Bulgaria, and applying for residence here.

The D visa has several grounds for getting it. Owning a property is not one of them, unfortunately. Nor is having a Bulgarian company. The commonest and easiest are student, or retiree (with proof of a pension). Other than those two, it gets tricky.

However, earlier this year, my attorney got a couple of 5 year residence permits for Brits, even though we're after the transition period. He said some officials were being sympathetic because of the Covid Crisis and the challenge of travelling last year (I suspect he was helping with a small "gift" too). Is your attorney doing something similar, and applying directly for residence (i.e. not bothering with the D visa)?

If she can still get residence directly, under the EU citizen rules, that would be a big win for you. It's a lot easier as it only needs proof of address, proof of health insurance, proof of funds. (You need these 3 for D visa too, but in addition to proof of the specific basis for which you're applying, such a pension.)

The proof of address in Bulgaria is definitely required. It's usually a 12 month rental contract, or the "notary act" (deed) for the property you purchase. However, I think most attorneys could organize a rental contact just for immigration purposes. This would cost a few hundred euros, but it means that you can complete your immigration formalities without rushing into a purchase. (I did this, because I didn't want to buy anywhere until me and my partner both had our residence permits.)

Your attorney, Tanya, has a nice website, and she seems to be a member of the Bulgaria bar. So she certainly seems to be legit. The ballpark for a visa or residence permit is 1,000 euros per person. So if that's roughly what's she's charging it's fine. I would personally pay half first, and the other half when I got the visa. And I would do it person by person, step by step. Rather than paying thousands up-front for everything that we need to do.

If she could handle immigration and companies and house conveyancing, you'd only need one lawyer... rather than three! It's hard enough to find one honest lawyer. :-)

As owning a company is not a basis for a D visa... you're incorporating because you want to buy a country house with a huge garden? If so, that's cool, non-EU citizens can't buy land in their own name, it has to be via a corporation.

You mention "possible scams"... is there something specific that's triggered this concern? If you're just wondering if your attorney is competent that's not a big deal: there are many attorneys, so if she doesn't work out, you can work with another. But if you're sending 5,000 euros of attorney fees in advance, that's perhaps a bit generous. And if you're sending your real estate agent 100,000 euros to buy your dream house... then, yes, that would be asking for trouble. :-)

Thank you Jane x

Thank you Jane 😀x

Hi all,
I am new to the site. Have lived in Plovdiv now for 2 years and have been coming and going back and forth from the U.K over the last 10 years. I am a Kiwi and a Chiropractor by Profession.
Glad to be part of the Expat community.
Cheers.

Hi,
The real estate site you want is alo.bg ....put in your parameters and you will have lots to chose from.
Good luck.

Hi,

I'm Mark, traveling on an Irish EU passport (plastic Paddy ;)), but actually from Portsmouth in England.

Sold up in the UK, purchased a new motor-home in Germany, and have it driven through Europe and have finally arrived here in Bulgaria just a few days ago. Long term plans are sketchy, but having spent many a holiday in Borovets, Sofia, and Bourgas, I know enough about the country to want to explore it further, and maybe buy, or build, a house and settle down here. I am from a construction background, so building would not phase me too much.

So, now I have had time to rest and recuperate in a very peaceful little campsite near to Varna, it is time to get down to business and 1) Get my residence permit sorted, so I can then... 2) Register the van in Bulgaria. The van is on temporary German export plates, which run in early November, so time is of the essence.

I have absolutely no experience of dealing with bureaucracy here, so am a little bit lost on where to start the above processes. Unfortunately I speak zero Bulgarian (hope to rectify this in time), so would need the services of a translator I assume?

Nice to virtually meet you all, and any help would of course be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark

Don't forget folks if you download Google Chrome and view .bg sites through that it will automatically translate them into English

Steve310 wrote:

Don't forget folks if you download Google Chrome and view .bg sites through that it will automatically translate them into English

Microsoft Edge also translate.

@Baldymark

Congrats on making it through to Bulgaria! For others wanting to follow in your footsteps, what route/countries did you come through, and are you fully vaccinated?

The residence permit is a formality for EU citizens, but, even so, you need proof of funds, proof of health insurance, and proof of address.

They are pretty easy-going on the first, so a copy of your debit/credit card should be OK (but your statement for a new Bulgarian bank account with a few thousand euros is even better). Any insurance agent near you will sell you a Health Insurance for Foreigners policy for about 90 euros, so that's the second (or your Irish EHIC should be accepted instead).

The 3rd will be a challenge, as it's got to be a long-term rental contract or the notary deed on a property you've purchased. You could probably get a cheap studio somewhere for 200 euros/month, or you could buy a falling down village house for a couple of thousand euros. Alternatively, you get a friendly lawyer to organize a rental contract that you can give to immigration (usually 500 euros or so for this).

As it's a bureaucratic formality, you should be able to go in person, but taking along a helper/translator who might cost you 100 euros or so. If you just want to have an attorney do it, then that's probably 500-750 euros.

[Post deleted]

Closed