Want to move to Ibiza by Dec. 2021

Hi, I am looking to retire in Ibiza. I would like to work there because my retirement from the United States is good but I feel it's not enough. I would appreciate any info on what steps to take. I'm 56 and a United States citizen. I would like to live in an area that is not a tourist area but close to areas where I can enjoy the social life. Want to rent close to a beach.

Hi,
I've settled Benidorm from UK.
I did think of California first or ibiza but cost or being on a island has less appeal to me.
Benidorm was recommended as a easy and cheap place to settle in with a good climate .
I'm 51 not sure where I want except for near a beach,water activities, shopping etc.
I do not want the middle of the pubs area.
I want to explore the countryside or sea or air .
Where I am is fine for now, everything is nearby.
The only language problem is just about everyone can speak English so less incentive to learn Spanish!

But I hope to split living costs by sharing accommodation. So at mo' pay €625 all in (worth it because my landlord is helping me so much with translation,transport , paperwork etc there are places at €300pm but for simplicity,  this is ok for now )
But once I know my way around and learn Spanish, if I share a apartment or similar then I'd hope to pay €400pm or less plus utilities.
I don't even want to own a car but "car share" maybe to keep cost down and explore more easily.
That should give a very comfortable furnished/unfurnished home and more money to play with.
Never know "friends " in ibiza?
Christmas day on the beach was great.
Hope some part of this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on moving around December 2021. So, I'm looking for information about the average 1BR or 2BR rent. What's the average living cost.

Thanks for the info Soggychips. It helps.

I lived in Ibiza until 2014. I still have friends there & at the moment due to Covid there is a lot of uncertainty & many people are out of work. If you need to work to find retirement I think it may be difficult this year. Do you speak Spanish?
Rent in Ibiza is expensive, as is property. I can send you some contact info for a good estate agent if I am allowed to on here?
Depending on where you want to live on the island the cost of apartments varies greatly, also if you are willing to share.
If you are in San Antonio I would suggest visiting the ship inn. It's always a good place to get info on accommodate, jobs etc and run by a good bunch of people. In Sta Eulalia there is (was) an English shop, they too would be able to point you in the right direction.

Yes, I speak Spanish perfectly. I'm Cuban. Also, I don't plan to move there until the end of 2021. Hopefully, this ridiculous virus is gone by then. I would like to live where there aren't many tourists and still be close to the beach.

OK, if we are allowed to share info. I would appreciate the contacts.

Hi, I am a 58yr old Brit  and I moved to mainland Spain almost 4 years ago, after my husband was made redundant.  We seized our chance  and took early retirement rather than get back on  the corporate treadmill for another 10+ years!  My husband's private pension is quite good, but we realised we'd need some extra income, as well as something to do with all our free time.
I started an online business back in 2019 and I'm really enjoying it, as its starting to really take off now. It's all done from a phone or laptop  and I can teach anyone who is interested how they can do the same.
Please let me know if you want some more information as I'm not sure I'm allowed to put my business link  here.
It's a global online business, so you could get started now and build it, and then take it with you wherever you go!
I wish you huge luck and success with your move!  I have never regretted moving to Spain!
Kind regards, Diane.

Hi Diane,

How can I get more information on your online business?

Cheers,
Ben

Sorry- not sure how to give information requested. 
Apologies if I broke the rules. I only joined today. Will read the rules if someone can tell me where to find them.

Hello DianeHortonSpain,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

I invite you to read the SPAIN FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT.

Should you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi Diane,

Kindly share the work opportunity with us. I would be interested in it too.
Thank you.

Hello Cheryl
Thanks for your message.
I have read the rules, but fail to understand how I can answer someone's question when they have expressly asked me for information.
I did not spam the thread- I simply told someone who is looking to retire to Ibiza, as I have retired to Spain.
In these difficult times, i would like to think that I can offer people a chance to change their lives for the better.
The person asked me to send him some information.  I was simply replying but my post has been deleted .
I don't see why I should pay to tell 1 person who asked me about a way they could finance a move.
Yours, rather disappointed
Diane Horton

Hi benji
I tried to reply but my post was deleted

Not sure how to get in touch with you.
Apologies.
Diane

Hi Diane,
I can understand your frustration here! It sounds like a fab business
opportunity you are offering to share; I'm sure there would be loads of us that would be interested to know about it! Will you get commission by recruiting people? If so it might be worth your while sharing the idea in the appropriate section. Of course I have no idea how much it would cost you!
Thanks for your posts so far, they are inrteresting and helpful.
Best wishes, Shona from Menorca

Hi Shona,
Thank you for your message and your kind words:)
I'm guessing that you are one of the moderators?
My apologies for my ignorance- as I said  I only joined properly yesterday (tho have kinda been subscribed with a different email address for a few years). But I've never managed to navigate around the site! ☺
It wasnt my intention to use the site as a recruitment platform- but clearly if people are saying that they are looking for ways to earn money to facilitate their move, it makes perfect sense for those of us that have 'been there' to offer the opportunity to others.
In answer to your question, I don't make money immediately when people sign up  - only later on when they start to sell products. 
I will look into the advertising costs, but as I said, it wasnt my intention to advertise my business, but if people ask, I think it should be possible.
Anyway  let's see how it goes. Perhaps if there is a lot of interest it would be worth my while.
Thanks again for your very nice message.
Have a lovely evening. Are you in Menorca?
Diane x

Hi Diane,
Thanks for your reply. It was good to hear back from you and to understand a little more about your business. It is so refreshing to hear when people have found their niche. Also even more refreshing when people are then able to reach out to others. No I'm not a moderator!
My husband and I live off grid in Menorca. We have been in our home now for just over a year and love it! Hubby is 62 and I'm 56. We both decided a few years ago that the rat race was not for us and looked around for somewhere else to call home from the UK.
Hubby works mornings on the phone/ computer so pays our way. I am looking to start a small business myself so I was interested in what you had to offer! I am also exploring some other ideas of my own. Everything takes time to fall into place, especially now and for post Covid.
I don't want to make this reply too long, so wish you a great day and enjoy what ever you're up to!
Best wishes,
Shona x

Hi again Shona!
WowWow- what you're doing sounds amazing!  And very brave! But Menorca is beautiful, so I guess that really helps!!
We're not off grid (at least, not by choice- but you know how it is in Spain and its islands!).
We live a very quiet, rural life amongst the 1000's of acres of olive groves.
Like you, we wanted an escape from the rat race, so when hubby was made redundant at 54, I was ready to run away from it all!
We made some mistakes along the way, but we seem to have found our rhythm after nearly 4 years, and have become a little animal obsessed- ending up with 7 dogs! So we are kept pretty busy and entertained with them!
What kind of place do you live in? Is it an ongoing reformation project? There always seems to be a lot of maintenance required on the houses here, mainly due to the fairly extreme weather we get here in southern spain! The winters are much worse than I expected! I guess in Menorca they arent so bad!
Its lovely to have 'met ' you here and I hope we can keep in touch.
I always find other people's stories fascinating!
Have a great day. It's peeing down here atm, but we need to fill the wells and reservoirs!
Best regards
Diane :)

Hi Diane,
Hope you have had an enjoyable day. This is the time of day we come inside and light the fire, look at emails and read the on line papers. Thanks for your reply. It is so warming to exchange friendly banter! We were meant to meet up with some new friends we have recently met and go walking together today, but we had to cancel out plans. We also live a quiet life. Our home is in a gorge near the south coast. It is not far from everything as the island is relatively small. Yes Menorca is beautiful, but like you can't believe how cold it is in the winter, especially in the gorge in the mornings. We are seeing frosts! We too are pretty animal occupied. We have 8 chickens. 4 are young ones and 4 we rescued from outside as they had been dumped! We also have a cat who came with the house and she lives in the garden. Our place is very quirky and is split over 4 sections. The garden is our main interest and is quite large. Where abouts on the mainland are you based? Your situation sounds equally as fascinating! Would love to hear more and to keep in touch too! Tell me more about your fab dogs, I'd really love to hear as I love dogs too!
Have a warm evening!
Best wishes,
Shona x

Hi Shona!
I feel like we're pen pals!!  Remember them??
You're life sounds fun, and probably quite muddy!!  As is ours! 
With the rain and the cold, and no central heating, our house tends to be quite muddy during the winter months! At least they dont drag on the way they do in the UK! And before we know it we'll be wishing for rain!!
What are you doing in your garden? I guess you're growing or planning to grow your own vegetables etc  . Just like the Goode Life from the tv back in the day!! 
We live in a traditional Summer home, which is why it's so badly equipped for the winter!  We didnt realise when we viewed it one sunny March day, with a beautiful sparkling clean pool and manicured garden!!  Haha! You learn fast here ! We're in Southern Andalucia, inland away from the tourists and the Brits!  Surrounded by mountains and olive groves. Its lovely. Peaceful, rustic and charming.  But I do miss the beach- however that comes at a cost of money and tourism! How is your quiet little corner during the high tourist season? I guess you didnt6 have that last year? Every cloud!! 
Are you planning on opening a  B&B type of thing? Or are you fully retired and just doing it for your own pleasure?
Must sign off now, hubby making lunch.
Enjoy your evening
I look forward to your next installment!
Diane.

Hi Diane,
Yes it does feel like that doesn't it! Never too old for a pen pal! So good to get a better feel of where you are. It helps to feel more connected some how. I think we feel the same about appreciating being away from all the hustle and bustle. Before we moved to where we are now, we bought a small house on a complex of 8 houses around a pool on the north coast of Menorca. Like you we were seduced on a sunny day and no other houses were occupied. A completely different story though when the tourists appeared! Some were lovely and we actually still keep in touch with them at Christmas time, but some were really a pain in the butt!! Where we are now is perfect for us as it is close to a town, airport and beaches. But we are in a gorge with no close neighbours. Yes we are getting ready for growing, but really just getting the grown prepared. The chickens are a bit of a nightmare as they love salad leaves, potato plants etc. We are going to have to chickenfy what we grow with some sort of coverings. We're not sure about the B&B thing as we are still recovering from living at the last place. It is just so lovely to walk around outside in complete privacy. I know what you mean about the beach. How far are you away? Where you are sounds fab for walking your dogs and for being nurtured by beauty. Oh if we could all have it all!
Have a lovely evening.....
Shona x

Hi Shona- sorry I went quiet on you.  I find getting around this site quite awkward- do you fancy swapping emails or fb information?
You have to make a special point of signing in to Expat.com and it's not always top of mind!
Did you have a good weekend?  Wet?  How does the gorge cope with lots of rain? I guess I dont really know exactly what a gorge is!!  I think of a valley- but I guess if it was a  valley , it would be called a valley!!!  Hahaha!!  Please enlighten me!
We had a fairly wet and uneventful weekend. Lockdown and fear of catching Covid doesn't give us many social options!
Still- I'm happy to work away building my online biz and learning new skills, like video making and editing.  It's quite good fun.
I'm assuming as it's pretty cold and wet outside  that you're having to spend more time indoors.
Looks like its warming up this week- so fingers crossed for your planting and general garden work.
I look forward to catching up.
Diane:)

Hi Diane

I would love to chat to you and possibly find out more about the Global Business you speak of if possible...

Kind Regards  Karen xxx 🙂