Unemployment benefit in France

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some information and advice. My daughter has been out working in Lille for nearly 15 months now for an IT company. She's concerned that she may be in danger of losing her job but I know she will want to stay in France if she can.

I was wondering about unemployment benefit in France if she needs it. I'm assuming (for the time being at least)  she will entitled to something.

Does anyone know how generous it is? Would it cover her rent or maybe only partially?

Any knowledge or advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nigel

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

This webpage may answer most of your questions.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I received unemployment benefit in France but almost 20 years ago. Prior to that I wasn't earning a salary (my french wife at the time was) and I had never earned a salary in France. It was not that different to would get  in the UK although I don't remember the amount. In addition as I was unemployed, I was eligible to buy food at a cheap store for desperate people (forget what those stores are called) and they gave a free baguette, milk and butter if I'm not mistaken. Finally, from time to time the Mayor's office would send me a cheque. Sorry I can't offer better information than that.