Scam by real estate when you rent apartments .

Hi  All,
I am living in Kemang at *** this group own at few apartments on Jakarta . I have rented an apartment with them and live alone. Reason I am writing is to let all the expat know of the scam with this real estate.
I took apartment for 1 year paid upfront for 12 month 15.5juta per month the agreement say all service and maintenance included. Electric and water up to 500K included.
I got a electric and water bill in just 9 day of me shifting there of 2 juta  (200 SGD)for electric and 200k for water. I am working 9am and back by 7pm. The seconds' bill for 1 month 4juta (400SGD) for electric and 500k for water (looks like I am running a laundry in this place). When objected that in 39day of stay how bill so high. They first refused to share the information but on insisting I manage to see the actual PLN bill which is 500k for 1 month. Water there is no information is just charged by calculation don't know what. After check the bill everything looks like a scam they don't have any such amount bill it all charges which makes no sense. I have the video recording of the staff saying owner asked to charge this we don't know and some kind of tax which doesn't exist in Indonesia regulation. I am going thru a though time and would not want other to face this same scam. PLEASE BE AWARE.

P.S I am happy to share the bill and the video.
Thanks.

My electricity bill is usually around IDR1.5 million per month, but when we use the air-conditioners a lot the bill has jumped up to IDR2.5 million, but that is very rare. We are a family of four and we usually use at least two large air-conditioners a day and through the night. So if you are not using as much electricity as us then there does seem to be something wrong.

I would check with the neighbours in your apartment building to see what kind of electricity bills they are paying, more or a lot less. Perhaps have the electrical meter checked to see it is functioning properly and also make sure that there has not been extra wiring added near the meter where someone else is using your electrical supply.

Also, are you paying those bills to the landlord or agent or are you being billed directly? I would insist to pay based on the actual bill presented to me as long as it is legitimate. I understand that the electric and water bills were included in the rent as long as they are within IDR500k amount. So if you are given the actual bills from the electric and water companies you would be able to see whether or not you have anything to pay. Assume that is all written into the contract.

Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous companies around and it's a pity since your rent is already pretty high and thank you for reminding us all about it. But I would also beware of naming companies here in a public forum since the defamation laws are harsh in Indonesia and if they find out you could be sued.

Hi Shill,
Thank for your reply. you are right they should be giving me the original PLN bill and water bill to know what is the actual consumption but in my case they refuse and also mention they dont have the bill of the apartment is for the entire building. The bill given to me is from the management with number of extra charges and when asked I was told these are service charges for using the equipment in the apartment. Sounds a bit strange because my contract very clearly say service and maintain are included in my rental cost.
As for the company I have proof a full video which clearly show how they are scamming expats.
cheers.

It all sounds very strange. Too many things sound wrong. You could also take a meter reading yourself at the beginning of the month and again at the end of the month (same for water) and then check with management how much they are charging for electricity usage. And if all that you say is true and in the contract then I would be looking at employing a lawyer to help you clarify everything since those costs are really going to add up.

Hi Shill. I have checked the reading after the bill. I was not aware of this kind of mess. Well I have nothing personal against them. But this kind of scam is really something all should know and be aware when they take any apartment. I am uploading the video when I was speaking to the management, will send u the youtube link shortly . Let all  know what kind of scam they need to be vigilant of.

Hiya rent

Yea, your getting screwed, and there are purposely screwing you.  Do you speak or read Bahasa Indonesian?, if not learn the basics quick.  FYI, ALL INDONESIANS UNDERSTAND ENGLISH, MOST SPEAK ENGLISH FINE.  Think of it like going to a bar in any port city where many languages are spoken, after a few beers, everyone can understand what the other is saying, not perfect but your getting the point across, you may have issues in a small village, not in any kota. I love setting and just listing to locals talk about me as I go about my business.  It is good that you are on an expat website, helps immensely, I use it sometimes.  I am a member of two motor groups, if your planning to stay in Indonesia and live for a decent amount of time, I highly recommend this avenue.  I carry a US STATE licence and an International one from AAA, NO ISSUES, I have never been puller over on a motor,  in my mobile, hand the cop your info and 100 inside the international licence and speak English!!!  Expats and these groups are a good resource, being a member of a motor group, your golden.  Before the virus stuff, friends will keep you out of any issues, when flying abroad, we will fly the same flights.  When going through immigration I just tell the customs agents there with me, quid pro quo. I carry a USA Passport. Customs agents n Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo give Indonesian passport holders a hard time.

My current pad is in the Serpong/BSD area, very nice, wide, no macet jalan, very green area with biking paths and wide-open areas for flying kites and with plenty of food shops, malls, side stall restaurant and convenience store, alfa indo, dll. within 10, 15 min drive or just walk 3-5 min to smaller local places.  I do live within 500 meters of three mosques that try to see who can be the loudest, sometimes for many hours a day, ya kinda get used to it, kinda.  I have a 2 bedroom apartment converted into a large studio, 38m², it is 90 95% soundproof with the doors closed.  If inside and with the music or TV on at a reasonable yet tolerable volume, 5 to 12 on stereo, can't hear shit.  I live on the 17th floor.  We got very lucky and found a building with an open space the size of 3 or 4 units outside our door, essential, like a big barbecue common area in the sky and plants along the walls in built-in planters when the building was constructed, and an end unit. Unrestricted access to a well-equipped AC gym and 2 very nice pools and common areas on the 2nd floor.  24hr security on each tower and at the point of entry into the complex.  Your key card can only go to ones own floor, pool floor and basement parking, I have to place it on a spot on the elevator door before I push floor button, from any floor you can always go to "G".  My rent is 2.5jt month, paid every 3 bulan, 7.5jt X 4, around 30jt year, not up to doing math in my head right now.🥳🥳, think im correct.  I move pelan2.

I run my AC at 25 at night and 27 during the day,16 hrs day, if hot outside, 1 to1.3jt month, if cool like now in monsoon season, maybe 300k less, I have a hot water heater for the shower, had the owner put it in prior to renting, this was non-negotiable, I paid for I and will take with me when or if I leave, water and maintenance fees included.  UnderGROUND parking, 75k for motor, 150k for mobil monthly.  Gas makan 150 to 200k month, I bought my own 2 burner, the apartment had a single with small paint size can for gas, 2 or 3, 5.5kg pink tanks a month depends on who buys it, me or my Indonesian wife, im always 20 ribu more a tank more, although we buy from same guy little shop on the ground floor.  Air minium for 2 orangs 10 containers month, 200k, I don't get hit with bule price on this.  My wife always does the food shopping unless you go to a Hypermart, dll.  Laundry, full service 40k a load, there are 4 shops in my complex, some are cheaper, I like the one I use, they also let me use and put in the amount of detergent and bleach, dll as I want, I like my whites white, perfume smell is not clean.  Wifi/nternet/cable, 430k month, 20GB speed, always consistent after a few choice words within the first week of installation, yes, everyone is trying to nickel and dime you, they pretty much stop once they know your local.  One DISADVANTAGE, THE THREE TOWERS ARE ALSO USED AS REDDOORZ, they are restricted to certain floors, and do rent day, week, month, yearly.  Good and eclectic sometimes, 😳😏🤭🤭, doesn't bother me.  I also have hold an option to buy, it would have to be in my wife's name, that not an issue as we agreed and hold a prenup.

Our place was found by my wife and I online,  OXL, OXO, something like that name, she did all negotiations and initial payments and conversations with owner/management solely, If you show your bule face, at any time before the contract being signed, bend over.  This process did take about 1 month of research and looking at many places, she would look and then send photos/video via WA, I would give 👍👎 over the phone so I was not seen.  If you're not married or going out with and Indonesian, find one, if not, have a friend or agent do it for U, the cost is substantially different.  Double minimum, triple, 4X as base in some if not in most cases and depending on location and amenities.

Good hunting

A Bule in Indonesia

Yes, never use the name of a company or even a person,  PENALTIES ARE CRIMINAL.  Be very aware of the sedition laws, no 1st amendment rights in Indonesia.

Fred wrote:

A lot of housing aimed at expats is exceptionally overpriced. Jakarta is always going to be costly, but 15 million/month is way more than most locals would be able to afford.
That means it may be priced for foreigners, something new expats have to watch out for.

Too late for the OP, but new people might want to check out houses in gated communities z You'll find lots on OLX

https://www.olx.co.id/jakarta-dki_g2000007/q-house-rent

One absolute rule - If it's priced in US$ - Ignore it. Apart from internal transactions being illegal in anything other than Rupiah, such offers are aimed at expats and very like to be a rip off.

Electricity. If you have a meter on your wall that only feeds your place, note the number and go to the local  PLN office directly to get the real bill. If all else fails, you can also request a pre-pay meter you feed with tokens. These are available either at ATMs, local shops, and banking apps.
As the meter belongs to PLN and your landlord can't do much if it's changed, you get control of that.
However, if you have the real bills and the landlord's version, that's evidence of possible fraud. Use them as a weapon.

One important note DO NOT NAME THE COMPANY as defamation laws here are criminal rather than civil, and punishments can be harsh.

Know the laws🙏🙏🙏, even well-meaning will not get one out a issue once is has began