Getting around Guanacaste without a car?

I don't think we're even allowed to buy a car when we arrive on our tourist visa until we get our Rentista accepted?

I've looked at a rental....for USD$2000/month and it doesn't even come with fully comprehensive insurance at that rate.

So we were wondering about the sanity of not having a car for a while and just using taxis or Uber (is there Uber in the Brassilito area even?). I know the scoop on using official taxis. My wife is Spanish (just not Costa Rican), so there are no "misunderstandings" about routes etc.

The one the thing we have to do every day is getting my son to school. So that's a trip to the school, home (for mum or dad), back to the school at the end of the day, and back. While that could be USD$500 a month in taxis (assuming we live relatively close), it's still cheaper than the $2k for a rental.

Any thoughts or insight very much appreciated. We arrive next summer (so excited!).

Everyone be well.

No problem purchasing a vehicle when still a tourist.
When it come to transporting child to/from  school many private schools offers a bus for transportation....but a fee for payment, of course. Without having a car, Brasilito seems to be, quite remote from other towns as far as I was concerned.

Thank you for so much for replying!

We've since figured out how to buy a car and a lawyer to use (!!!).

Brasillito is where both schools we're considering are and my wife wants to live close to school. I wanted to go to Portrero  :D but was overridden.

Important to pick the school first, then work out the logistics.

Eekageek, after re-reading one your previous posts, I see that your wife is a citizen of Spain, which may mean that she is eligible to apply for Permanent Residency immediately. At least that used to be 'in the immigration rules...' 
This, will only assist you if she was considered the 'principal applicant' as then she could claim you and your son as her dependents, should you intend to apply for legal Residency. Please, do not rely solely on my information, and check with a lawyer on this.

In regards to Uber in Brasilito, I don't think that there is any, however there are many piratas ...